Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1058705 times)

Psychopoesie

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8790 on: December 06, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »
What is a loundroom? I just saw it mentioned by an Australian, as describing a house. I'm guessing it's a living room?  Google seems to agree that's it a word, but otherwise isn't being too helpful in telling me what it is.  :-\

Yes, a lounge room is a living room. :)

TomatoBunny

« Reply #8791 on: December 07, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »
Yes, a lounge room is a living room. :)

Thanks for the help Psychopoesie. :) 

Quick followup; is 'loundroom' even an actual term for it?  Just double checking since you used lounge room in the reply, which I did recognize. ;)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8792 on: December 07, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
Quick followup; is 'loundroom' even an actual term for it?  Just double checking since you used lounge room in the reply, which I did recognize. ;)

Where did you see it written that way? My guess would be that it's a typo.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8793 on: December 07, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »

Assumed it was a typo - certainly never heard that term used and I've lived in Oz all my life.

The word might sound like that if I had a bad head cold though. ;)

Iris

« Reply #8794 on: December 07, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »

Assumed it was a typo - certainly never heard that term used and I've lived in Oz all my life.

The word might sound like that if I had a bad head cold though. ;)

Now I want a loundroom. I'm thinking a massive one of those sound-proofed 'home theatres' but with lounges. Perhaps chaise lounges.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #8795 on: December 07, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
On of the things I have noticed is that here and in Oz, it is a lounge.  No room.  It would be like saying 'a kitchen room'.  It might be a sitting room, or a drawing room, or a family room, but not a lounge room.  One of those language oddities

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8796 on: December 07, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »
On of the things I have noticed is that here and in Oz, it is a lounge.  No room.  It would be like saying 'a kitchen room'.  It might be a sitting room, or a drawing room, or a family room, but not a lounge room.  One of those language oddities

I tend to say lounge room.

More likely to say I'm sitting on the lounge (ie, the couch/sofa) than going into the lounge.

Iris

« Reply #8797 on: December 07, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »

I tend to say lounge room.

More likely to say I'm sitting on the lounge (ie, the couch/sofa) than going into the lounge.

Everyone I know says lounge room. You sit ON the lounge IN the lounge room.

magicdomino

« Reply #8798 on: December 07, 2013, 11:31:44 PM »
So you can lounge on a lounge in a lounge?   ;)

JoW

« Reply #8799 on: December 07, 2013, 11:33:32 PM »
It's interesting to see the different mnemonics for greater-than/less-than.  The way I learned it was simply that the arrow always points at the smaller side.

Virg

The big end goes on (beside) the big number.  The little end goes on the little number. 

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #8800 on: December 08, 2013, 12:17:59 AM »
I would say  lounge suite or lounger to describe the furniture in the lounge

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8801 on: December 08, 2013, 12:47:56 AM »
I would say  lounge suite or lounger to describe the furniture in the lounge

The lounge suite to me is the lounge plus the chairs.  I don't think I've ever called the lounge a lounger.

Funny how language works, isn't it.  :)

Iris

« Reply #8802 on: December 08, 2013, 05:07:47 AM »
So you can lounge on a lounge in a lounge?   ;)

Too right. In fact I'm going to go do that right now  ;D

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #8803 on: December 09, 2013, 04:08:55 AM »
In South Africa it's almost exclusively a lounge (no "room"), and it's never really a sitting room, or a drawing room or anything other than a lounge.

But we don't call large couches "lounges". They're either couches or settees.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #8804 on: December 09, 2013, 05:16:27 AM »
In South Africa it's almost exclusively a lounge (no "room"), and it's never really a sitting room, or a drawing room or anything other than a lounge.

But we don't call large couches "lounges". They're either couches or settees.

In England, in my experience the furniture item concerned is occasionally called a couch, but nearly always a sofa or a settee. The English tendency toward class-based snobbery comes into play here.  Patrician types always talk about "sofas", and regard "settee" as a lower-middle-class, gauche, "non-U" term.  On this matter, you lot out in the Empire plainly haven't got a clue  ;) ...