Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 979790 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8805 on: December 09, 2013, 05:37:28 AM »
On of the things I have noticed is that here and in Oz, it is a lounge.  No room.  It would be like saying 'a kitchen room'.  It might be a sitting room, or a drawing room, or a family room, but not a lounge room.  One of those language oddities
In South Africa it's almost exclusively a lounge (no "room"), and it's never really a sitting room, or a drawing room or anything other than a lounge.

But we don't call large couches "lounges". They're either couches or settees.

In England, in my experience the furniture item concerned is occasionally called a couch, but nearly always a sofa or a settee. The English tendency toward class-based snobbery comes into play here.  Patrician types always talk about "sofas", and regard "settee" as a lower-middle-class, gauche, "non-U" term.  On this matter, you lot out in the Empire plainly haven't got a clue  ;) ...
My working-class post-colonial third-world settee might not be fancy, but it is darn comfy.  ;D  ;)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

« Reply #8806 on: December 09, 2013, 05:39:24 AM »
Actually, now that I think about it, why "drawing room"? Did people do a lot of drawing in the living room? Or were there a lot of drawings on the wall or something?
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Redsoil

« Reply #8807 on: December 09, 2013, 06:45:39 AM »
As I understand it, "drawing room" is a contraction of the term "withdrawing room" - the room to which ladies would withdraw after dinner for polite chat and such, leaving the gentlemen to their cigars, brandy and "men-talk".
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

WolfWay

« Reply #8808 on: December 09, 2013, 07:08:47 AM »
As I understand it, "drawing room" is a contraction of the term "withdrawing room" - the room to which ladies would withdraw after dinner for polite chat and such, leaving the gentlemen to their cigars, brandy and "men-talk".
Ah right. Thank you.  :)

menley

« Reply #8809 on: December 09, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »

I have always wondered about this!! Thank you!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8810 on: December 09, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »

I have always wondered about this!! Thank you!

So have I! Thank you, Redsoil. :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Bluenomi

« Reply #8811 on: December 10, 2013, 04:55:56 AM »
On of the things I have noticed is that here and in Oz, it is a lounge.  No room.  It would be like saying 'a kitchen room'.  It might be a sitting room, or a drawing room, or a family room, but not a lounge room.  One of those language oddities

I tend to say lounge room.

More likely to say I'm sitting on the lounge (ie, the couch/sofa) than going into the lounge.

I say lounge room as well. Maybe it's a regional Oz thing

Redsoil

« Reply #8812 on: December 10, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »
Happy to be of help!  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

perpetua

« Reply #8813 on: December 11, 2013, 04:37:49 AM »
Inspired by the household hints thread: What's the difference between bicarbonate of soda and baking powder? (and what's 'baking soda'? Not a term we have here, I don't think).

I hear them being used interchangeably and I'm never quite sure if they're the same thing or not.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8814 on: December 11, 2013, 06:36:27 AM »
Inspired by the household hints thread: What's the difference between bicarbonate of soda and baking powder? (and what's 'baking soda'? Not a term we have here, I don't think).

I hear them being used interchangeably and I'm never quite sure if they're the same thing or not.

Bicarb and baking soda are the same thing.

Baking powder is cream of tarter and bicarb in a 2:1 ratio.

Both are used in baking as leavening agents.  You use Bicarb when you are using ingredients that are already acidic (i.e. buttermilk or yogurt).  Baking powder contains both an acid and a base and is most often used in biscuit and cake recipes.

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #8815 on: December 11, 2013, 06:38:53 AM »
Whilst we're talking about cooking...are powdered sugar and icing sugar the same thing?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #8816 on: December 11, 2013, 06:41:31 AM »
Whilst we're talking about cooking...are powdered sugar and icing sugar the same thing?

Yes they are.  Powdered sugar, icing sugar, and confectioner's sugar are all names for the same thing---extra finely ground fluffy sugar.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Pen^2

« Reply #8817 on: December 11, 2013, 07:22:43 AM »

Yes they are.  Powdered sugar, icing sugar, and confectioner's sugar are all names for the same thing---extra finely ground fluffy sugar.

Well, they're made of the same molecules, yes. But because one is much more finely granulated than the other, the tastes are slightly different. Like sea salt, cooking salt, kosher salt, etc. They're all salt, but the grain size varies, making them suitable to different things. It affects intensity of taste, sometimes shelf life, speed of dissolution, etc. In general, more finely granulated => greater surface area => stronger taste ('coz more of it touches your tongue at once). This is also why grated cheese tastes better than a block of the same amount and type of cheese. (For those who watch QI, they actually touched on this once: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw0KbGi4gH8)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8818 on: December 11, 2013, 08:15:32 AM »

Well, they're made of the same molecules, yes. But because one is much more finely granulated than the other, the tastes are slightly different. Like sea salt, cooking salt, kosher salt, etc. They're all salt, but the grain size varies, making them suitable to different things. It affects intensity of taste, sometimes shelf life, speed of dissolution, etc. In general, more finely granulated => greater surface area => stronger taste ('coz more of it touches your tongue at once). This is also why grated cheese tastes better than a block of the same amount and type of cheese. (For those who watch QI, they actually touched on this once: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw0KbGi4gH8)

In the case of sugar, though, there is no difference in the grain size between icing, powdered, and confectioners sugars. Those are three different names for the exact same product.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/sugar.htm

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8819 on: December 11, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »
Also, confectioners sugar may be called 10X sugar in older cookbooks.

Oleo=margarine, I use butter or shortening instead.