Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1127132 times)

Vall

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8820 on: December 11, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
Yes, my mom always called it 10X sugar.  I wonder if that is a regional thing.  I grew up on the east coast.  That ingredient sure has a lot of different names.

Mal

« Reply #8821 on: December 11, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
Oleo=margarine, I use butter or shortening instead.

And on a related note:
Why is it called "shortening"? Where does that term came from?

cwm

« Reply #8822 on: December 11, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »
Oleo=margarine, I use butter or shortening instead.

And on a related note:
Why is it called "shortening"? Where does that term came from?

From Online Etymology Dictionary:
shortening (n.) 1540s, "action of making short," verbal noun from shorten. Meaning "butter or other fat used in baking" (1796) is from shorten in the sense "make crumbly" (1733), from short (adj.) in the secondary sense of "easily crumbled" (early 15c.), which perhaps arose via the notion of "having short fibers." This is the short in shortbread and shortcake.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8823 on: December 11, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »
Whilst we're talking about cooking...are powdered sugar and icing sugar the same thing?

Yes they are.  Powdered sugar, icing sugar, and confectioner's sugar are all names for the same thing---extra finely ground fluffy sugar.
It also has anti-caking stuff in it. 

My MIL called it 4X sugar.  She gave me her Xmas cookie recipe () at DH's request, and I had to ask her what the devil it was.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8824 on: December 12, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
New question --

I just bought a new treadmill (delivered from Amazon.) The instructions say to plug it into a surge protector instead of directly into the wall outlet.

Is this really necessary? What would happen if I plugged it directly into the wall?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8825 on: December 12, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »
My guess is they're recommending the surge protector because if you do blow a fuse while it is plugged directly into the wall, you could damage the machine.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #8826 on: December 12, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »
I'm guessing if there's a power surge, it could fry the electronics (display, etc). They probably put that in there just so someone can't demand a replacement after a lightning strike kills the treadmill. Depending on where you live, it's likely not much of a risk (unless there's something I don't know).

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #8827 on: December 13, 2013, 01:01:54 AM »
Whilst we're talking about cooking...are powdered sugar and icing sugar the same thing?

Yes they are.  Powdered sugar, icing sugar, and confectioner's sugar are all names for the same thing---extra finely ground fluffy sugar.

But if it's icing mixture, there's cornflour in there too.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Bluenomi

« Reply #8828 on: December 13, 2013, 01:39:24 AM »

My MIL called it 4X sugar.  She gave me her Xmas cookie recipe () at DH's request, and I had to ask her what the devil it was.

Icing mixture has anti caking agents (usually corn flour) but icing sugar is the pure stuff hence it gets way more lumpy and always needs sifting. It also sets harder

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8829 on: December 13, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »

The number of Xs is to indicate either the number of times the sugar was sifted or the size of the grains of sugar--there are various definitions out there.

Domino's Sugar (a fairly common brand in the US) used to have "10X" printed in a quite large font on its boxes of powdered sugar, so a lot of people started calling powdered sugar "10X sugar." My mom did, as did all the women in her family. The 10X is still there on the box, but it's printed a lot smaller these days.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8830 on: December 13, 2013, 10:02:41 AM »
As a child, I always thought that 'Ten X' was Domino's trade name for confectioner's sugar.  Thanks for clearing that up. 

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #8831 on: December 13, 2013, 10:14:25 PM »
And sometimes men wear a lounge suit whilst lounging on the lounge suite in the lounge.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #8832 on: December 15, 2013, 12:11:59 AM »
Recently when the USA TV Network shows promos for their shows, they end with the phrase "Characters Welcome".  What does that mean?
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8833 on: December 15, 2013, 01:31:34 AM »
Recently when the USA TV Network shows promos for their shows, they end with the phrase "Characters Welcome".  What does that mean?

I've always assumed it means they like quirky, off-the-wall characters - people with character.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

JoW

« Reply #8834 on: December 15, 2013, 07:39:45 AM »
New question --

I just bought a new treadmill (delivered from Amazon.) The instructions say to plug it into a surge protector instead of directly into the wall outlet.

Is this really necessary? What would happen if I plugged it directly into the wall?
Your treadmill will run fine without the surge protector. 

Your new treadmill has fragile electronics in the control box and/or display.   The surge protector protects those electronics from small power surges, like when your partner turns off a power tool or when a drunk driver hits the power pole in your front yard and when the power company repairs the damage. 

A surge protector will not protect your treadmill or other electronics from a lightning strike, even if that strike does not take out the power to your house.  I learned that the hard way.  I lost a washing machine to lightning.  It was on a surge arrester when the electronics in the control panel were fried. 

I live in Omaha, Nebraska, USA.  That's on the edge of Tornado Alley.  I get lots of storms.  My house is up on a ridge, making it even more vulnerable.  I keep my washer, dryer, and microwave oven unplugged when they are not in use.  I unplug the computer when storms are forecast and I'm not planning to be home.  If I'm home when a storm rolls in I unplug the garage door opener.