Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 842895 times)

demarco

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8925 on: January 09, 2014, 09:15:43 PM »
What is a "game day shirt."

DH and I collect interesting tee shirts, including college and professional sports team shirts. I never thought about whether there were any "rules" about wearing such shirts until after I ventured into a college team shop while traveling in a western state last September. The team was playing a game that night. The store was jammed. I overheard more than one conversation/argument/fight about getting a game day shirt vs another kind of shirt.  I didn't think much of it at the time but later I wondered about it.

DH is my go to person about all things sports related but he didn't have any idea what I was talking about.

So, is a game day shirt a recognizable thing, different from other team shirts? Is one only supposed to wear a GDS on a game day? Are there any other taboos about wearing team shirts in general?

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8926 on: January 09, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »
Let's say it's a big rivalry game, the Steelers are playing the Ravens.  On the day of the game, let's say it's tomorrow, you'll see shirts plastered with "STEELERS VS RAVENS, 01-10-14".  That would be a game day shirt.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8927 on: January 10, 2014, 02:26:07 AM »
Let's say it's a big rivalry game, the Steelers are playing the Ravens.  On the day of the game, let's say it's tomorrow, you'll see shirts plastered with "STEELERS VS RAVENS, 01-10-14".  That would be a game day shirt.

The strange thing about these is how they have to make two versions - one for Team A winning and one for Team B winning.  And then half of them end up getting donated to a third-world country somewhere because they're factually wrong.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8928 on: January 10, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

"The strange thing about these is how they have to make two versions - one for Team A winning and one for Team B winning."

A lot of game day shirts don't specify a winner, they just announce the contest.  I have a few Super Bowl game days that just show what year and who played.  Mostly they're meant as a souvenir of the event as much as a team spirit thing.

Virg

demarco

« Reply #8929 on: January 10, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »
Thanks for the game day shirt information.  I've seen shirts like this but never knew what they were called.

Library Dragon

« Reply #8930 on: January 11, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »

The strange thing about these is how they have to make two versions - one for Team A winning and one for Team B winning.  And then half of them end up getting donated to a third-world country somewhere because they're factually wrong.

DH commented on this after the BIG game this past week. There will be a lot of blue and orange  shirts from across the state being donated. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

GreenHall

« Reply #8931 on: January 11, 2014, 11:50:05 PM »
Is it possible to get nail polish out of clothes, or should I just resign myself to a Polluck-y look now, before I get too frustrated? (Okay, it's a series of three drops, but rather vivid green on my lilac pj's.)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8932 on: January 12, 2014, 01:15:15 AM »
Slartibartfast wrote:

"The strange thing about these is how they have to make two versions - one for Team A winning and one for Team B winning."

A lot of game day shirts don't specify a winner, they just announce the contest.  I have a few Super Bowl game days that just show what year and who played.  Mostly they're meant as a souvenir of the event as much as a team spirit thing.

Virg

The ones sold in advance are like that. But for really big championships, they do make 2 different victory shirts, and the correct ones get sold, and the others go to those in need of clothing in other countries.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Bluenomi

« Reply #8933 on: January 12, 2014, 02:29:17 AM »
Is it possible to get nail polish out of clothes, or should I just resign myself to a Polluck-y look now, before I get too frustrated? (Okay, it's a series of three drops, but rather vivid green on my lilac pj's.)

Nail polish remover. Unless your pjs are pure silk or the like.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8934 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »
jedikaiti wrote:

"The ones sold in advance are like that. But for really big championships, they do make 2 different victory shirts, and the correct ones get sold, and the others go to those in need of clothing in other countries."

That's true, but those sorts of things aren't usually called game day shirts.

Virg

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #8935 on: January 12, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »
Also, we have a list of colors on the season calendar for our college football team. All black is "blackout", sometimes they request certain sections wear black and some wear gold or all gold.

Usually for nationally televised games.

JoW

« Reply #8936 on: January 12, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »

Nail polish remover. Unless your pjs are pure silk or the like.
Try it on a hidden seam or hem first.  Nail polish remover will disolve some man-made fabrics and remove dye from others. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8937 on: January 12, 2014, 10:45:39 PM »
You know how nail polish eventually chips off your nails?  If you keep wearing and washing the pajamas, eventually it will 'chip off' the fabric.  It may take many washings for this to occur, but it will probably happen.

I suspect that fingernail polish remover will almost certainly remove the color from the fabric as well as the nail polish.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #8938 on: January 12, 2014, 10:50:03 PM »
Don't wash in hot water! That "sets" the polish into the fabric, and then it's never coming out.

I agree with testing polish remover, or even pure acetone, in a hidden spot to see if it'll be usable.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #8939 on: January 13, 2014, 07:20:48 AM »
How does sunscreen work?

Victoria