Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1122658 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8940 on: January 14, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »
There is a purple and orange root vegetable, known in the UK as a "swede".

In the US, I believe it is called "rutabaga"?

How is this pronounced?  I want to say root-a-bag-a, but then wonder if it's "root-a-barg-a"?

It's pronounced "neep"  ;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8941 on: January 14, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »
I invented a recipe that I call Root Soup:

Rutabagas, peeled & quartered
Potatoes, unpeeled & quartered
Carrots, unpeeled & halved
Onions, chopped coarsely
Garlic, peeled and smashed
Olive oil
Chicken stock

All proportions are to taste. Cook onions & garlic in olive oil until soft. Add everything else, simmer until soft (about 20 minutes). Puree  (I use an immersion blender).

Edited because I can too spell "rutabaga!"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:15:45 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Bluenomi

« Reply #8942 on: January 14, 2014, 11:50:01 PM »
Is it possible to get nail polish out of clothes, or should I just resign myself to a Polluck-y look now, before I get too frustrated? (Okay, it's a series of three drops, but rather vivid green on my lilac pj's.)

Nail polish remover. Unless your pjs are pure silk or the like.
Try it on a hidden seam or hem first.  Nail polish remover will disolve some man-made fabrics and remove dye from others.

Only if you use the hard core acetone stuff. Otherwise you'll be fine! I worked for a dry cleaner, the stuff we used was basically nail polish remover.

oogyda

« Reply #8943 on: January 15, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
I invented a recipe that I call Root Soup:

Rootabagas, peeled & quartered
Potatoes, unpeeled & quartered
Carrots, unpeeled & halved
Onions, chopped coarsely
Garlic, peeled and smashed
Olive oil
Chicken stock

All proportions are to taste. Cook onions & garlic in olive oil until soft. Add everything else, simmer until soft (about 20 minutes). Puree  (I use an immersion blender).

yum
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Vall

« Reply #8944 on: January 17, 2014, 04:59:31 AM »
New stupid questions

There are many things that I don't understand about bedding.  Eons ago when I was growing up, I had a fitted sheet, a pillow case and a blanket.

Today I have a bed skirt, mattress pad, fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket, comforter, pillow protectors and pillow cases.  I use the modestly decorative comforter as a blanket and don't remove it before sleeping (is that right?).  It's thick and comfy.

My main question:
What is a feather bed and where does it go?  From ads, it appears to look like a down comforter that you lay on.  Does it go under the mattress pad, between the mattress pad and the fitted sheet, or on top of the fitted sheet?  If it goes on top, do you have to buy a cover for it or put another sheet over it?  I like down and I like the idea of sleeping on down but I don't know how it's supposed to be done.

Also, with a down comforter, do you use a cover for it?  Is that what a duvet cover is for?  Is a down comforter a duvet?  Is a duvet simply any comforter that needs a cover?

oogyda

« Reply #8945 on: January 17, 2014, 06:52:47 AM »
New stupid questions

There are many things that I don't understand about bedding.  Eons ago when I was growing up, I had a fitted sheet, a pillow case and a blanket.

Today I have a bed skirt, mattress pad, fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket, comforter, pillow protectors and pillow cases.  I use the modestly decorative comforter as a blanket and don't remove it before sleeping (is that right?).  It's thick and comfy.

My main question:
What is a feather bed and where does it go?  From ads, it appears to look like a down comforter that you lay on.  Does it go under the mattress pad, between the mattress pad and the fitted sheet, or on top of the fitted sheet?  If it goes on top, do you have to buy a cover for it or put another sheet over it?  I like down and I like the idea of sleeping on down but I don't know how it's supposed to be done.

Also, with a down comforter, do you use a cover for it?  Is that what a duvet cover is for?  Is a down comforter a duvet?  Is a duvet simply any comforter that needs a cover?

Keep in mind that I am not a bedding expert, but here is "my" take on it...
The feather bed.  Personally, I would put the mattress pad over it. 
The down comforter.  I believe you are correct in thinking it is a duvet and yes, I do use a cover for it. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8946 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:26 AM »
I would use the feather bed in place of the mattress pad, since both are designed to add some extra padding to the mattress.  Now, if your mattress pad is one of those ones designed to block moisture (sweat) from getting down to the mattress, I'd put the feather bed under the mattress pad.

Usually down and other natural fillings are duvets and man-made fillings are comforters.  At least, that's how I've always referred to them.  Also, duvets are usually plain, though, and you put a cover over them to protect them and match the decor.  Comforters are often patterned already and don't need a cover.

I do know a number of people who only use the fitted sheet and a duvet with a cover - no flat sheet.  When they wash the bedding, they wash the sheet and the duvet cover.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Vall

« Reply #8947 on: January 17, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »
Thanks for the answers about bedding.

My mattress cover is the type that protects the mattress from moisture and dirt.  It fits very tightly on the bed.  Maybe I'd have to use a different kind of mattress cover to accommodate a feather bed?  Do they make special ones for that purpose?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8948 on: January 17, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »

My mattress cover is the type that protects the mattress from moisture and dirt.  It fits very tightly on the bed.  Maybe I'd have to use a different kind of mattress cover to accommodate a feather bed?  Do they make special ones for that purpose?

No idea on that one - sorry!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #8949 on: January 17, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »

The featherbed is intended to provide a comfy squish, and that would be hampered by putting it Under anything stiff or tight, so I'd layer things mattress, mattress cover, featherbed, sheet, you. And I'm a little jealous! ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8950 on: January 17, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »
How do(es) the International Date Line(s) work?

I know there's an imaginary line through the western Pacific Ocean where you "jump" into tomorrow from today (and reverse, if going eastward).  But where does it "come out" on the other side of the world?

I was messing around with one of those 24 hour time zone sites when I noticed that there was a line through Belarus and Ukraine that seemed to jump from Friday to Saturday.  Is this the other side of the IDL?  And if so, what is the line through Greenwich, England?  I always thought that was the line dividing "today" from "tomorrow" on this side of the world.

Did that question even make sense?

wheeitsme

« Reply #8951 on: January 17, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »
How do(es) the International Date Line(s) work?

I know there's an imaginary line through the western Pacific Ocean where you "jump" into tomorrow from today (and reverse, if going eastward).  But where does it "come out" on the other side of the world?

I was messing around with one of those 24 hour time zone sites when I noticed that there was a line through Belarus and Ukraine that seemed to jump from Friday to Saturday.  Is this the other side of the IDL?  And if so, what is the line through Greenwich, England?  I always thought that was the line dividing "today" from "tomorrow" on this side of the world.

Did that question even make sense?

The other side is the Prime Meridian ( 0 longitude) and is the one in Greenwich.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #8952 on: January 17, 2014, 04:22:13 PM »
Prime Meridian (Greenwich) is the other side of the world from the International Date Line (noon compared to midnight).  The Prime Meridian is straight.  The International Date Line has been zig-zagged in places to follow country lines or keep some areas on the same date instead of the next (or previous) date. 

I understand that there are still places where it goes down the middle of a political division that can cause confusion....there is a story about a bride & groom who showed up, with all their family, one side on one day and the other on the next day - due to no one remembering that the other family lived on the "tomorrow" side while they lived on the "today" side....I have no idea if it is "real" or "makes a good story".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #8953 on: January 17, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
What might show between Ukraine and Belarus, if the diagram is done well, is a midnight line, so it's (say) 11 p.m. to the east of that time zone boundary, and midnight on the other. That's how we normally think of today and tomorrow: the official day starts just after midnight, even if mentally you count it as "today" until you go to sleep, even if that's at 3 a.m. The difference there, like the difference between Eastern and Central time in the U.S., is one hour. If you cross that line, you'll adjust your watch by one hour.

At the international date line, the difference is 24 hours. Instead of going from 10:30 Tuesday to 9:30 Tuesday, you go from 10:30 Tuesday to 10:30 Wednesday.

The time doesn't change at the prime meridian. Greenwich is (very approximately) in the middle of its time zone (Greenwich Mean Time).

OK, more detail than you might be looking for: time zones average 15 degrees of longitude wide, and theoretically centered on 0, 15, 30,...180 degrees either east or west of Greenwich. If you're near one edge of a time zone, that affects clock time at sunrise and sunset. Most people don't pay a lot of attention to that level of detail--you're more likely to notice that the days are getting longer than what the clock says when the sun is highest in the sky.

As VorFemme notes, a lot of the time zone boundaries are either slanted, offset from the longitude lines they "should" be on, to keep cities, states, provinces, and countries together. Alaska used to be three time zones; the entire state is now on one time zone. All of China is a single time zone, and keeps Beijing time, at least on paper and for purposes like train scheduling.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Snooks

« Reply #8954 on: January 19, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »
I've just bought my first proper "fancy" knee length dress.  The dress is lined but the lining seems to be clinging to me with a crazy amount of static, how do I stop that?