Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1065223 times)

Xandraea

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8970 on: January 21, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »
Sometimes it's a thingymajig.

I have whosiewhatsits. ;D

or a whatchamacallit  :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8971 on: January 21, 2014, 04:26:07 PM »
How do they fix dams when they break?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #8972 on: January 21, 2014, 04:43:56 PM »

You get your dam supervisor to call the dam contractor to come out and make some dam repairs.  ;D

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8973 on: January 21, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »

Politely, with a darning needle?  ;D

More seriously, it depends on the kind of dam and the kind/size of break.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #8974 on: January 21, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »

Well! *borrows Uncle's engineer hat*.

When most dams are being built in the first place, the river or body of water they're planning on blocking with said dam is diverted so that they've got a dry area to build in. If there are ever any cracks or breaks in a dam then the diversion can be re-activated. For example the Hoover Dam took so long to build not just because it's so big, but because there are massive tunnels and pipes under the surrounding hills that were used to divert the water while the dam was being built. If there is ever a crack or breakage large enough then the water can be diverted through those alternate tunnels until the dam is dry again and then repairs or rebuilding can take place.

Another option is that during a drought (like happened here in Australia in the late 90's - early 2000's) some dams can actually dry up because the rivers aren't running as much as they used to - and so the maintenance can be done then. About 100kms from where I live there were seven new dams built during the drought, taking advantage of the dry spell so that next time we'll have more water stored up and the droughts' impact won't be so large.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8975 on: January 21, 2014, 09:39:31 PM »
Thanks!  DF and I were really curious.  We were driving past the Estes Park dam (the one that broke when Colorado saw that destructive flood last year) and we got to thinking.  Who would have thunk it was such an obvious answer?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8976 on: January 21, 2014, 10:09:40 PM »

You get your dam supervisor to call the dam contractor to come out and make some dam repairs.  ;D

I need a "like" button  ;D ;D ;D

Elisabunny

« Reply #8977 on: January 22, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »

Well! *borrows Uncle's engineer hat*.

When most dams are being built in the first place, the river or body of water they're planning on blocking with said dam is diverted so that they've got a dry area to build in. If there are ever any cracks or breaks in a dam then the diversion can be re-activated. For example the Hoover Dam took so long to build not just because it's so big, but because there are massive tunnels and pipes under the surrounding hills that were used to divert the water while the dam was being built. If there is ever a crack or breakage large enough then the water can be diverted through those alternate tunnels until the dam is dry again and then repairs or rebuilding can take place.

Another option is that during a drought (like happened here in Australia in the late 90's - early 2000's) some dams can actually dry up because the rivers aren't running as much as they used to - and so the maintenance can be done then. About 100kms from where I live there were seven new dams built during the drought, taking advantage of the dry spell so that next time we'll have more water stored up and the droughts' impact won't be so large.

Or, in the case of the Teton Dam, they start investigating *why* it broke, discover that the area is actually massively unsuitable for dam-building, and abandon the whole idea.  Then 30 years later, some group decides that it really should be rebuilt, to a huge chorus of "heck NO!" from local residents. ::)
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #8978 on: January 22, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »

I need a "like" button  ;D ;D ;D

LOL me too!

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8979 on: January 24, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »
Does idling your car use more gas than when the car is actually moving?

Does idling your car in sub-zero temperatures use more gas than it does in say 30F degree temps?

(I usually warm up my car for about 10 minutes before I leave for work. That defrosts the windows so I don't have to scrape plus makes the inside nice and toasty.)

Betelnut

« Reply #8980 on: January 24, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
Does idling your car use more gas than when the car is actually moving?

Does idling your car in sub-zero temperatures use more gas than it does in say 30F degree temps?

(I usually warm up my car for about 10 minutes before I leave for work. That defrosts the windows so I don't have to scrape plus makes the inside nice and toasty.)

For the first question, I would think idling uses less gas since going slower uses less gas.  Not sure about the second question.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8981 on: January 24, 2014, 07:03:27 PM »
According to my vehicle's computer, idling uses far more gas than actually driving.  It is also more polluting because it doesn't burn the gas fully.  It can be very hard on the engine and not recommended.  My vehicle also has synthetic oil and it is recommended to only let it idle for a few seconds, even when it is cold.

It probably uses less gas to idle when it is cold than when it is hot, since the heat produced is used, rather than the cooling system having to kick in to disperse the heat.

I would only warm it up long enough to get the windows clear, with scraping.

If you have a block heater, plug the car in for a couple of hours before you drive it, even if it isn't -40. Anything less than -10 C, I'd plug it in.  It'll help warm the engine and the oil up and help divert that heat to the heater and defroster more quickly.

I'm lucky; I have room in my insulated garage so no scraping for me, unless it snows/sleets during the day while I'm at work.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #8982 on: January 24, 2014, 09:41:35 PM »
There is a purple and orange root vegetable, known in the UK as a "swede".

In the US, I believe it is called "rutabaga"?

How is this pronounced?  I want to say root-a-bag-a, but then wonder if it's "root-a-barg-a"?

There are numerous online sites that pronounce words aloud for you.  To find one, I just Google "pronounce [word]".  Here are a couple of links for pronouncing rutabega.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rutabaga    *click on speaker icon

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=rutabagas

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

JoW

« Reply #8983 on: January 24, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »
[/quote]
There's an easier way to make scraping less of a chore, at least if you live in the US.  RainX.  Its a hydrophobic coating you apply just like spray-on car wax.  Wash the windows, spray, rub to spread it evenly, let it dry, then spray lightly with water and buff.  Turns 20 minutes of scraping into 5 minutes of scraping.  Buy it near the spray-on car wax. 

For my side mirrors, I pull a sub sandwich bag over the mirror and hold it on with a rubber band.  Pull the bag, and the frost, off before I drive away.

I park in the garage at night, but snow and ice often starts during the day while I'm at work.   And occasionally I have to work well into the evening, not leaving work until frost is forming. 

sevenday

« Reply #8984 on: January 24, 2014, 10:34:26 PM »
Rain X, sandwich bags on the mirrors, and a car cover when it's not in use. The car cover keeps water off so there's not really much ice on the windshield and whatever there is, with the RainX, not an issue.  No garage (I dream fondly of the day when I can have one!) so... that'll do.  I don't like to idle the car and won't if I can help it for reasons mentioned above.