Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1030153 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #8985 on: January 26, 2014, 11:28:16 AM »
According to my vehicle's computer, idling uses far more gas than actually driving. 
Snip

Are you basing that on seeing a change in the estimated miles per gallon? Because if so, the reason you are seeing it lower is because your sitting still but still burning gallons. So the average goes down.

Idling uses a quarter to half a gallon of gas per hour. (Source is fuel economy.gov). If I have a car with fuel economy of 25 mpg at 50 mph, after driving one hour I would have used 2 gallons.

In most cars you burn more gas the faster you drive.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8986 on: January 26, 2014, 01:13:20 PM »
Good point - I didn't think about it that way.  But really, it is affecting your overall gas mileage significantly because you are burning gas without going anywhere.  And from everything I've read, it really isn't very good for your engine.  If I get stuck in traffic and it is obvious that it is going to be a while before I move, like when I get stuck at a train crossing, I'll actually turn the car off.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #8987 on: January 26, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »
Good point - I didn't think about it that way.  But really, it is affecting your overall gas mileage significantly because you are burning gas without going anywhere.  And from everything I've read, it really isn't very good for your engine.  If I get stuck in traffic and it is obvious that it is going to be a while before I move, like when I get stuck at a train crossing, I'll actually turn the car off.

My car does that for me - the engine shuts off when I put it into neutral and stop fully. It's one of the many reasons why I love it so much!
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Jones

« Reply #8988 on: January 26, 2014, 01:41:39 PM »
I put a sheet over my car windows at night, and in the morning when I start my car and whisk that off I shake the ice out of the sheet and hang it in the house for the next night.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8989 on: January 28, 2014, 01:22:41 PM »
There's an easier way to make scraping less of a chore, at least if you live in the US.  RainX.  Its a hydrophobic coating you apply just like spray-on car wax.  Wash the windows, spray, rub to spread it evenly, let it dry, then spray lightly with water and buff.  Turns 20 minutes of scraping into 5 minutes of scraping.  Buy it near the spray-on car wax. 

How often do you have to reapply the RainX?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8990 on: January 28, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »
There's an easier way to make scraping less of a chore, at least if you live in the US.  RainX.  Its a hydrophobic coating you apply just like spray-on car wax.  Wash the windows, spray, rub to spread it evenly, let it dry, then spray lightly with water and buff.  Turns 20 minutes of scraping into 5 minutes of scraping.  Buy it near the spray-on car wax. 

How often do you have to reapply the RainX?

And it isn't just great for frost.  My brother swears by it.  His wipers died while it was raining and the RainX allowed the water to bead up and sheet off that he didn't really need them.

You have to reapply it once a month or so, I think.  It was enough of a hassle that it wasn't for me - plus I get to park in the garage in the winter so I don't need it the same way.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

carol1412

« Reply #8991 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
Prestone Windshield De-Icer. Spray it on a cold windshield, wait a few minutes and the ice/frost is whisked away by your wipers. Magical stuff! And if it's really tough ice, there's a scraper built into the can so no need to grab another utensil.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8992 on: January 30, 2014, 03:02:55 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"According to my vehicle's computer, idling uses far more gas than actually driving.  It is also more polluting because it doesn't burn the gas fully.  It can be very hard on the engine and not recommended.  My vehicle also has synthetic oil and it is recommended to only let it idle for a few seconds, even when it is cold."

I'm guessing that this comes from the computer trying to calculate gas mileage from a non-moving car and that will make it report poor efficiency because idling means fuel burned for no movement.  However, an engine at idle will burn a lot less fuel in a given time than an engine in a moving car.  It is more polluting specifically due to the reason you mentioned, but as to it being hard on the engine in most cases it's really not.  There are situations where it can cause problems if you idle for excessive periods for many years (like a taxicab or police cruiser) but for most people they just don't idle a car long enough to cause any sort of problem other than fuel waste and increased emissions.  The recommendation on synthetic oil isn't meant to be a warning so much as an assurance that it's not necessary to idle the engine as long to get it to optimum viscosity, unlike natural motor oil that can lose viscosity (and therefore the ability to protect engine parts) more readily in cold conditions.

"If I get stuck in traffic and it is obvious that it is going to be a while before I move, like when I get stuck at a train crossing, I'll actually turn the car off."

That's still a good idea just because of the fuel waste issue.  Gasoline ain't cheap.  :)

Virg

Carotte

« Reply #8993 on: January 31, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
I have to admit my ignorance regarding something in english, all the Ms, Mrs and Mr used to call someone.
Can I have the full word for those please?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #8994 on: January 31, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
I have to admit my ignorance regarding something in english, all the Ms, Mrs and Mr used to call someone.

Mister
Mistress (We says misses)
Miss (usually pronounced miz as in miserable)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #8995 on: January 31, 2014, 12:50:26 PM »

Mr. - Mister. M/Monsieur in French.
Mrs. - Missus or Mistress. Mme/Madam in French.
Ms. - no long form that I know of in English. It is used instead of Miss or Mrs. as a title for an adult woman. I think in French you would just use Miss or Mademoiselle.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8996 on: January 31, 2014, 12:51:48 PM »

Ms is usually pronounced "miz" and indicates a woman who does not wish to be 'identified' by her marital status.
Mrs. is pronounced "misses" and indicates a married woman.
Miss (which you did not ask about) indicates an adult woman who is not married or a young girl.
Mr. always refers to a man whether he is married or not, and is pronounced "mister".

Vall

« Reply #8997 on: January 31, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »

Ms is usually pronounced "miz" and indicates a woman who does not wish to be 'identified' by her marital status.
Mrs. is pronounced "misses" and indicates a married woman.
Miss (which you did not ask about) indicates an adult woman who is not married or a young girl.
Mr. always refers to a man whether he is married or not, and is pronounced "mister".
And Miss is for an unmarried woman.  Miss is also used in the southern US with a woman's first name as a form of respect, whether or not she is married.  For example, "Miss Cynthia baked these cookies".  Or "Miss Lana invited us for dinner".

I live in an area where there are a lot of people who moved here from the south so I hear it frequently.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #8998 on: January 31, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »

Mister

"Miss" varies by region. In some areas, it with "hiss," but in the South, it's "miz." Which is how "Ms." is also pronounced.

Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8999 on: January 31, 2014, 01:09:30 PM »

Mister

And Ms (pronounced Miz) was developed so that you didn't have to identify if you were married or not.  Mistress (Mrs) means married, Miss means not.  As far as I know, it doesn't stand for anything.

I usually pronounce Miss the way it is spelled, as in missing the mark on something.
Ontario