Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1059009 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9015 on: February 01, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
As with friendships, what married couples called each other in private depended more upon the closeness of their relationship than on anything else. Mr. and Mrs. Bennet used formal titles when talking to each other because their marriage was not a close one. Emma's sister Isabella called her husband John by his first name or "my love" (and vice versa) because their marriage was a close one.

The other thing is that, particularly in books about people who are unmarried (such as Jane Austen novels), the main character is more likely than not going to hear people who are married referred to by their titles even by their spouses. To use Emma as an example, it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. and Mrs. Weston used their given names when talking to each other in private. Theirs was a love match, and they are presented throughout the book as happily married and close to each other. But Emma knows them as Mr. Weston and Mrs. Weston (nee Taylor), because she doesn't have the sort of relationship with either of them that allows for using their first names. So even if Mrs. Weston called her husband by his first name in private, she'd refer to him as Mr. Weston when talking to Emma, because that's how Emma knew him.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9016 on: February 02, 2014, 12:09:18 AM »
Also, we don't have any first-hand accounts - only written correspondence and second-hand statements.  The rules were different for written correspondence, though, so it's entirely possible there were married couples who called each other by the first names all the time when in private but still used formal titles for letters and when in front of peers.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9017 on: February 02, 2014, 03:37:06 AM »
I think that at least some contemporary literature would count as at least akin to a first-hand account, though. Authors who intended to write about the society they lived in would have used the norms they were familiar with to inform how society in their novels worked.

Carotte

« Reply #9018 on: February 03, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »
What does one do to find new music when one doesn't listen to the radio or whatch TV?

I used to be part of a music e-zine when I was younger, plus music forums and stuff like that so it was easy to find out about new bands, but now I feel like I never listen to anything new.

Are there sites where you can reference what you already like and they give you similar artists?
I have a suscription to a service where for a couple dollars every months you have access to streamable music so listening is not a problem, finding something to listen is..

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9019 on: February 03, 2014, 09:49:32 AM »
What does one do to find new music when one doesn't listen to the radio or whatch TV?

I used to be part of a music e-zine when I was younger, plus music forums and stuff like that so it was easy to find out about new bands, but now I feel like I never listen to anything new.

Are there sites where you can reference what you already like and they give you similar artists?
I have a suscription to a service where for a couple dollars every months you have access to streamable music so listening is not a problem, finding something to listen is..

Pandora and IHeartRadio are two free services I can think of.  There is a bit of a learning curve for the programs though.  You create a station (by artist or song), then they will play similar songs or play songs that others who enjoyed similar music have liked on their stations.  Then you can click that yes Yes I like this new song or no I don't...it may take some time for the program to learn your preferences.  I still can't convince it that I do not like The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Ereine

« Reply #9020 on: February 03, 2014, 10:10:21 AM »
Spotify is good too, it gives recommendations based on what you've been listening to and shows similar artists. For just a website, I used to like allmusic.com but haven't used it in years so don't know about how good it currently is.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #9021 on: February 03, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »

Pandora and IHeartRadio are two free services I can think of.  There is a bit of a learning curve for the programs though.  You create a station (by artist or song), then they will play similar songs or play songs that others who enjoyed similar music have liked on their stations.  Then you can click that yes Yes I like this new song or no I don't...it may take some time for the program to learn your preferences.  I still can't convince it that I do not like The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Seconding Pandora, I've found a lot of good stuff that way. :)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9022 on: February 03, 2014, 03:21:01 PM »
I find Pandora sort of annoying. It seems to hit on a lot of songs I don't really like, and because you are limited to both thumbs-downing AND skipping songs to just a few per length-of-time-they-don't-specify, I end up having to listen to a bunch of songs I really dislike for far longer than I think is reasonable.

I ran into this issue when I was looking for Christmas music that didn't make me feel stabby back in December (the local radio stations that play it play most horrible renditions of songs I don't even like that much to begin with). I set up a station that seemed promising (in that I liked the first few), faithfully marked "like" or "dislike" for each song, and quickly found myself having to listen to songs that made me feel stabby because I'd used up my skips on songs that I only mildly disliked. And it seemed like at least every other song was one that I seriously could not stand. I think I disliked 3 or 4 separate renditions of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and still kept getting different artists versions of that song. Particularly for stuff like that, I kind of wish there was a way to specify that I dislike the song itself (but not the artist), the artist (but not the song) or both.

Even from artists I otherwise love, there are a few of their songs that just grate on my last nerve. And there are some artists that I can't stand who apparently lots of other people think are similar to ones I love.

I tried out IHeartRadio on a whim this morning, and seemed to do better with that one. Maybe I just trust DJs to pick out a good mix of songs I'm likely to enjoy based on a brief description than I am to trust what amounts to crowdsourcing.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #9023 on: February 03, 2014, 03:26:55 PM »
I find Pandora sort of annoying. It seems to hit on a lot of songs I don't really like, and because you are limited to both thumbs-downing AND skipping songs to just a few per length-of-time-they-don't-specify, I end up having to listen to a bunch of songs I really dislike for far longer than I think is reasonable.

I ran into this issue when I was looking for Christmas music that didn't make me feel stabby back in December (the local radio stations that play it play most horrible renditions of songs I don't even like that much to begin with). I set up a station that seemed promising (in that I liked the first few), faithfully marked "like" or "dislike" for each song, and quickly found myself having to listen to songs that made me feel stabby because I'd used up my skips on songs that I only mildly disliked. And it seemed like at least every other song was one that I seriously could not stand. I think I disliked 3 or 4 separate renditions of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and still kept getting different artists versions of that song. Particularly for stuff like that, I kind of wish there was a way to specify that I dislike the song itself (but not the artist), the artist (but not the song) or both.

Even from artists I otherwise love, there are a few of their songs that just grate on my last nerve. And there are some artists that I can't stand who apparently lots of other people think are similar to ones I love.

I tried out IHeartRadio on a whim this morning, and seemed to do better with that one. Maybe I just trust DJs to pick out a good mix of songs I'm likely to enjoy based on a brief description than I am to trust what amounts to crowdsourcing.

I have the same gripe with Pandora. I have a station I set up based on an Ingrid Michaelson song. I want peppy, singable stuff for when I'm cleaning and cooking. No. I get lots of super emotional, slow, downer music instead. Even though the lyrics go, "LET'S GET RICH AND BUY OUR PARENTS HOMES IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE!" Or another station I set up, where I got the impression that Pandora was aggressively trying to push me into loving reggae.

ETA: And then sometimes it seems like it overcorrects. I don't want sad chick breakup songs, so I must want all kinds of screechy pop music and autotune.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

daen

« Reply #9024 on: February 03, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »

Apparently if you log out and log right back in again, Pandora will give you the full complement of skips and thumbs-downs again. It's a bit of an effort, but if it keeps you from getting out  the knives...

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9025 on: February 04, 2014, 01:41:47 AM »
That's good to know, but I generally respond by just not listening to Pandora. :)

On the plus side, it did do what Carotte is after, and helped me discover/remember a few artists whose albums I ended up buying. And then I just listened to iTunes and the world was a glorious place!

I'm guessing that people with more patience with this sort of thing have more success with Pandora than I do. I'd just generally rather spend my time doing something else even if I have to do it in silence.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #9026 on: February 04, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »
Music Map is a great way to find new bands/music that is similar to another band you like.  You type in the name of a band you like and it will display a diagram of other bands similar to it that other people who like your band also like. I've found some great recommendations for bands I've never heard of before.

http://www.music-map.com/
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Betelnut

« Reply #9027 on: February 04, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »
We all know that if a person is placed in an "air-tight" container, eventually the person would use up all the oxygen in that container and suffocate. 

If there were plants in that container, could the plants and the person sustain each other (recirculate the oxygen and carbon dioxide)? 

If so, how many plants would one person need to sustain him/herself?  (And vice versa, I guess...)
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9028 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »
We all know that if a person is placed in an "air-tight" container, eventually the person would use up all the oxygen in that container and suffocate. 

If there were plants in that container, could the plants and the person sustain each other (recirculate the oxygen and carbon dioxide)? 

If so, how many plants would one person need to sustain him/herself?  (And vice versa, I guess...)

Plants also use up oxygen as part of their respiration process, although they do give off oxygen during photosynthesis.  They used to remove plants from patients rooms at night way back when over concerns that they'd use too much oxygen.

Plants do quite fine on their own in a terrarium but adding in another organism that would use up the oxygen and not replenish it, as well as producing more carbon dioxide, probably wouldn't work very well on a small scale.  I think it would need to be a pretty big room with lots of plants for there to be any chance of success.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9029 on: February 04, 2014, 11:12:27 AM »

Biodomes

Depends on how long you want it to sustain.  You can create a relatively small, sealed ecosystem which will keep for years (and you can buy those commercially).  Something big enough for a person would require balancing a lot more than just oxygen, though.  In general, the longer you want everything to balance, the larger you will need the container to be.