Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1031844 times)

Betelnut

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9105 on: February 16, 2014, 06:34:21 PM »
I got an electric screwdriver to help me unscrew a door knob.  It worked well on one screw but not the other--it essentially stripped the screw.  How can I get that screw out now?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

JoW

« Reply #9106 on: February 16, 2014, 07:03:23 PM »
I got an electric screwdriver to help me unscrew a door knob.  It worked well on one screw but not the other--it essentially stripped the screw.  How can I get that screw out now?
Drill it out.

Dig out your electric drill.  Find a drill bit a little smaller than the diameter of the shaft of the screw.  Drill into the screw, then reverse the drill and pull it out.  The screw will come out with the drill bit.

If you want to use that door knob again you'll have to buy a new screw.  I'm guessing the door is wood and now the screw hole is too big.  To fix that fill the hole with wood glue or white glue (Elmer's or similar) and stick a wooden toothpick or two in the hole.  Break off the part of the toothpick that sticks out of the hole.  Let it set a day or two before you mount the new door knob. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9107 on: February 17, 2014, 06:37:20 AM »
I've always been a side or belly sleeper,  I actually refer to my preferred sleep position as   the superman takeoff. Even as a baby I'd pitch a fit of I was laid on my back to sleep. I had a sleep study done two years ago and the technician commented that I never slept on my back even once during the night,  besides the initial set up where I was  asked to lay on my back. I rolled as soon as I was allowed to.  He asked me about it as he thought it was a bit unusual... I guess most people switch positions frequently. I didn't sleep for three days while I was in the hospital last year after having surgery. I physically couldn't lay on my side because  the head of my bed wasn't allowed to be lowered under 30 degrees (that and morphine makes me bright eyed and bushy tailed,  instead of sleepy like a normal person). My DH said in over 10 years of being together,  he's never seen me sleep on my back either.

So a few weeks ago I woke up laying on my back.   I was confused.   Like I stated above,  I never ever sleep on my back. Never,  ever.   A few days ago,  I woke up on my back.   Again,  very confused. This morning,  I woke up on my back again. I have no idea what is going on.   Do people randomly change their sleep positions?   I've heard of people training themselves to sleep in other positions due to  injuries and such,  but they find it very difficult to change  something so ingrained.

I never sleep on my back, either. Well, there have been about 5 times that I can remember that I woke up on my back, but that's over the course of over 50 years. Side or stomach all the rest of the time. I even had the same comment after a sleep study!

While I don't have an answer for you about why or how people might change sleep positions, I'd wonder if for some reason you are physically more comfortable on your back? Something as simple as a cold that blocks your sinuses might make sleeping on your back feel better for a night or two. (Trying not to stray into medical issues here, as I don't want to get the thread locked. Just putting the idea out there.)

I am pretty sure I don't sleep on my back because it just feels like a terribly vulnerable position to me. So maybe you are feeling safer for some reason?

Well, I'm pretty sure I figured it out.  I have a high pain threshold in general, so sometimes I hurt and it doesn't hurt as badly as it would on someone else.  A few months ago I injured my IT Band.  It's healing quite nicely and really not bothering me nearly as much as it was, so now I hardly notice it.   When I went to bed last night, I was laying on that side and noticed a dull ache.  I think all that popping has inflamed the darn bursa sac on the side of my pelvis.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9108 on: February 17, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »
JoW wrote:

"If you want to use that door knob again you'll have to buy a new screw.  I'm guessing the door is wood and now the screw hole is too big."

It's most likely that the screw was holding the doorknob hardware together, and in that case the screw seats in the doorknob base on the other side of the door, not in the wood of the door itself.  For this reason, drilling it out is less likely to get the screw out, but drilling off the head will allow her to remove the doorknobs.  At that point it's most likely that she'll need to replace the knob set, but sometimes one can use pliers to get the broken screw out and then it's just buying a replacement screw.

Virg

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9109 on: February 17, 2014, 03:48:25 PM »
More and more as I search the net I come across videos that are labeled "HD Vimeo"

Is there some sort of software or upgrade or whatever that I need in order for these videos to play smoothly? There's always a lag in the streaming, sometimes the lag is quite lengthy to the point where I stop trying to watch the video.

All other videos play smoothly (no lag.)

I have a macbook if that makes a difference.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #9110 on: February 17, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »
More and more as I search the net I come across videos that are labeled "HD Vimeo"

Is there some sort of software or upgrade or whatever that I need in order for these videos to play smoothly? There's always a lag in the streaming, sometimes the lag is quite lengthy to the point where I stop trying to watch the video.

Vimeo is slowly starting to creep in and be used as an alternative to YouTube for uploading movies, and it tends to be in HD (as the labels suggest) which would probably be what is causing the lag. HD takes longer to load and it can be very irritating if you don't want to watch in HD because your internet connection isn't quick enough to handle it.
On most of the videos there should be an option before you start to watch to select HD or SD, if you pick SD then the quality won't be quite as good, but for viewing on a computer screen SD is more than acceptable.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9111 on: February 19, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »

Vimeo is slowly starting to creep in and be used as an alternative to YouTube for uploading movies, and it tends to be in HD (as the labels suggest) which would probably be what is causing the lag. HD takes longer to load and it can be very irritating if you don't want to watch in HD because your internet connection isn't quick enough to handle it.
On most of the videos there should be an option before you start to watch to select HD or SD, if you pick SD then the quality won't be quite as good, but for viewing on a computer screen SD is more than acceptable.

Thank you, StarDrifter! ;D

It took me a while because there wasn't any option for SD (at least on the several videos that I checked) I realized that when I hover over the blue HD icon the cursor turned into a finger so I clicked and the icon turned white . . . and YES! the video streamed without a lag! ;D

I kept switching back and forth to see if there was any difference in quality and of course there wasn't because my monitor isn't HD. ;)

P.S. What does SD stand for? I know HD is High Definition . . .

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9112 on: February 19, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »
P.S. What does SD stand for? I know HD is High Definition . . .

Standard definition, I think. :)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

GreenHall

« Reply #9113 on: February 27, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »
Since there's not a 'Crivins!' category, I figured I'd put this in stupid questions, even though it's more rhetorical.

I bought some Dry Shampoo at Wal-Mart this weekend.  Based on the end cap, I may have randomly decided to look for dry shampoo on the first time it was available.  Put it in my bathroom until I need it.  Brushing my teeth the other night, I'm gazing into space and wind up staring at the can, well at the word 'Propane' in the ingredients list.  There are all sorts of things I can't pronounce that I would not be shocked to find in an aerosol type can.  Propane is not something I expect on the ingredients list of a hair care product. 

1) Any one know why propane is an ingredient in this product - is it an aerosoling agent, or some such?
2) Again, Crivins!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9114 on: February 27, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
LOL!  I have no idea, but it would probably be a bad idea to smoke while you're shampooing your hair with it.   ;D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #9115 on: February 27, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
My guess is it would have dual action as a propellant and a solvent (it's liquid when under pressure).
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9116 on: February 27, 2014, 04:58:21 PM »
New question: Income Tax season, so am shredding my 2006 documents.

Do I need to shred documents from expired credit cards, closed bank accounts, and closed insurance policies? It just takes forever and one year I burned out a shredder because I didn't let it cool off enough as I worked.

(Some things I'm shredding because I don't want anyone to know how little could be gotten ransoming me.)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9117 on: February 27, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
Luci45 wrote:

"Do I need to shred documents from expired credit cards, closed bank accounts, and closed insurance policies? It just takes forever and one year I burned out a shredder because I didn't let it cool off enough as I worked."

Closed accounts or policies I wouldn't bother, but expired cards I would.  The reason is that, unless there's a reason, the issued number on the new card is the same as on any expired cards so anything that tied to the old card would make it easier to get access to the account by guessing what the new expiration date is.

Virg

magicdomino

« Reply #9118 on: February 27, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
Luci45 wrote:

"Do I need to shred documents from expired credit cards, closed bank accounts, and closed insurance policies? It just takes forever and one year I burned out a shredder because I didn't let it cool off enough as I worked."

Closed accounts or policies I wouldn't bother, but expired cards I would.  The reason is that, unless there's a reason, the issued number on the new card is the same as on any expired cards so anything that tied to the old card would make it easier to get access to the account by guessing what the new expiration date is.

Virg

Also, you have to worry about identifying info on those papers:  social security numbers, dates of birth, etc.  Some communities sponsor "shredding events"  where people can bring their boxes of incriminating evidence   ;) sensitive documents and watch them get thrown into industrial-sized shredders.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #9119 on: February 27, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
New question: Income Tax season, so am shredding my 2006 documents.

Do I need to shred documents from expired credit cards, closed bank accounts, and closed insurance policies? It just takes forever and one year I burned out a shredder because I didn't let it cool off enough as I worked.

(Some things I'm shredding because I don't want anyone to know how little could be gotten ransoming me.)

When I was doing that, I looked to see whether the documents had my social security number or other significant information. The ones from no-longer-existing banks (not just accounts, the banks had been bought out/merged a couple of times) with nothing more personal than the address I had listed in the Manhattan phone book I tossed without shredding. I don't care if someone knows that I once had an account at Chemical Bank, for example. I did shred the remaining checks from my then-just-closed bank accounts, though I don't know if it was necessary. (Closed one because they don't have branches here, and then the other after I finally found a credit union I was eligible to join.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.