News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 17, 2017, 11:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2485393 times)

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9075 on: February 19, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »
P.S. What does SD stand for? I know HD is High Definition . . .

Standard definition, I think. :)
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

GreenHall

« Reply #9076 on: February 27, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
Since there's not a 'Crivins!' category, I figured I'd put this in stupid questions, even though it's more rhetorical.

I bought some Dry Shampoo at Wal-Mart this weekend.  Based on the end cap, I may have randomly decided to look for dry shampoo on the first time it was available.  Put it in my bathroom until I need it.  Brushing my teeth the other night, I'm gazing into space and wind up staring at the can, well at the word 'Propane' in the ingredients list.  There are all sorts of things I can't pronounce that I would not be shocked to find in an aerosol type can.  Propane is not something I expect on the ingredients list of a hair care product. 

1) Any one know why propane is an ingredient in this product - is it an aerosoling agent, or some such?
2) Again, Crivins!

gramma dishes

« Reply #9077 on: February 27, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »
LOL!  I have no idea, but it would probably be a bad idea to smoke while you're shampooing your hair with it.   ;D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #9078 on: February 27, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »
My guess is it would have dual action as a propellant and a solvent (it's liquid when under pressure).
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Luci

« Reply #9079 on: February 27, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »
New question: Income Tax season, so am shredding my 2006 documents.

Do I need to shred documents from expired credit cards, closed bank accounts, and closed insurance policies? It just takes forever and one year I burned out a shredder because I didn't let it cool off enough as I worked.

(Some things I'm shredding because I don't want anyone to know how little could be gotten ransoming me.)

Virg

« Reply #9080 on: February 27, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »
Luci45 wrote:

"Do I need to shred documents from expired credit cards, closed bank accounts, and closed insurance policies? It just takes forever and one year I burned out a shredder because I didn't let it cool off enough as I worked."

Closed accounts or policies I wouldn't bother, but expired cards I would.  The reason is that, unless there's a reason, the issued number on the new card is the same as on any expired cards so anything that tied to the old card would make it easier to get access to the account by guessing what the new expiration date is.

Virg

magicdomino

« Reply #9081 on: February 27, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »
Luci45 wrote:

"Do I need to shred documents from expired credit cards, closed bank accounts, and closed insurance policies? It just takes forever and one year I burned out a shredder because I didn't let it cool off enough as I worked."

Closed accounts or policies I wouldn't bother, but expired cards I would.  The reason is that, unless there's a reason, the issued number on the new card is the same as on any expired cards so anything that tied to the old card would make it easier to get access to the account by guessing what the new expiration date is.

Virg

Also, you have to worry about identifying info on those papers:  social security numbers, dates of birth, etc.  Some communities sponsor "shredding events"  where people can bring their boxes of incriminating evidence   ;) sensitive documents and watch them get thrown into industrial-sized shredders.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #9082 on: February 27, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »
New question: Income Tax season, so am shredding my 2006 documents.

Do I need to shred documents from expired credit cards, closed bank accounts, and closed insurance policies? It just takes forever and one year I burned out a shredder because I didn't let it cool off enough as I worked.

(Some things I'm shredding because I don't want anyone to know how little could be gotten ransoming me.)

When I was doing that, I looked to see whether the documents had my social security number or other significant information. The ones from no-longer-existing banks (not just accounts, the banks had been bought out/merged a couple of times) with nothing more personal than the address I had listed in the Manhattan phone book I tossed without shredding. I don't care if someone knows that I once had an account at Chemical Bank, for example. I did shred the remaining checks from my then-just-closed bank accounts, though I don't know if it was necessary. (Closed one because they don't have branches here, and then the other after I finally found a credit union I was eligible to join.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

snowfire

« Reply #9083 on: February 27, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
I got an electric screwdriver to help me unscrew a door knob.  It worked well on one screw but not the other--it essentially stripped the screw.  How can I get that screw out now?

Several companies sell bits that will bite into the head of a stripped screw to remove it.  I got one from sears years ago.  Very handy.

Carotte

« Reply #9084 on: February 28, 2014, 05:40:32 AM »
There's a hack floating on pinterest saying that if you put a rubber band (a large one) between the screw and the screwdriver head it should work.
I have no idea how effective that can be, and it probably doesn't work on a screw too stripped...

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #9085 on: March 02, 2014, 09:20:15 PM »
Stupid question: Does this style of comic-book costume headgear have a real-world basis or any (non-aesthetic) function?

I've recently started reading some of the X-Men comic books and seen more than one character wearing this style of headgear. I know comic book costumes can be seriously outlandish, but most of them seem to have some logic and/or basis in reality to them, even if they're taken to ridiculous extremes. E.g., masks conceal identities; spandex-y suits offer flexibility, like gymnasts' leotards; superhero capes may not have much function, but they're a long-established fashion item in the real world. However, I'm not aware of any real-world version of the pictured headgear, nor can I figure out what possible function it would serve. It doesn't conceal or protect the face; it doesn't appear to do much for keeping the hair contained. It could keep the neck warm, but that's not very useful in situations where other characters are running around almost naked in apparent comfort.  ;D So what does it do?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9086 on: March 02, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
It looks almost like a modified balakava

KenveeB

« Reply #9087 on: March 02, 2014, 11:59:55 PM »
It keeps the hair artistically arranged yet out of the eyes? Other than that, I've got nothing.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9088 on: March 03, 2014, 01:37:48 AM »
You could use it for skiing if you don't want flat hair.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #9089 on: March 03, 2014, 02:45:24 AM »
It's just aesthetic (and to highlight Gambit's cheekbones).  ;D

I think you'll see similar sort of facial covering like that in the post transformation Age of Apocalypse Archangel (later on in the series). No idea if that's armour, skin colour or some sort of hemi-balaclava.

<3