Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1022878 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9135 on: March 05, 2014, 09:11:55 AM »
All positions at my university have a 6 month probation period because it takes that long to know if the person is capable of doing all the job tasks.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9136 on: March 05, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »
Okay, I know next to nothing about high school (or any other kind of) football, but I'm writing a story that involves the game and I'm not having much luck using Google or Wikipedia, so here goes.  I understand that ending a game in a tie is rare because generally they just stay in overtime until someone finally wins.  But is it possible to do so?  And if so, under what circumstances would it be likely?

From the little bit of googling I did, it seems like it's possible to have several overtime periods in a high school game.  It might depend on local/state rules that govern high school sports, though.

Editied to add - there may be rules about how long a game can last (or how long a student can play).  It seems unlikely that a game involving minors would be allowed to go on indefinitely.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:47:38 AM by Harriet Jones »

Betelnut

« Reply #9137 on: March 05, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
Okay, I know next to nothing about high school (or any other kind of) football, but I'm writing a story that involves the game and I'm not having much luck using Google or Wikipedia, so here goes.  I understand that ending a game in a tie is rare because generally they just stay in overtime until someone finally wins.  But is it possible to do so?  And if so, under what circumstances would it be likely?

Maybe call your local high school and ask the coach?  Rules vary by state I think.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #9138 on: March 05, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »

From the little bit of googling I did, it seems like it's possible to have several overtime periods in a high school game.  It might depend on local/state rules that govern high school sports, though.

Editied to add - there may be rules about how long a game can last (or how long a student can play).  It seems unlikely that a game involving minors would be allowed to go on indefinitely.

That's something I wondered about, too.  Perhaps if the game reaches a certain number of overtime periods, whoever is in charge (or maybe a joint decision between the two high schools?) will just call it a tie and end the game?

Thanks, everyone!  You've all given me some good information to start with, and I should be able to put something together from it.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Carotte

« Reply #9139 on: March 05, 2014, 09:58:10 AM »
Good to know about those jobs.
It's funny because the two internships I did in my field (industrial design) were pretty much "here's your desk, go to work". the conditions made it so that I wasn't
even an intern, I was a junior, so had all the responsibilities of being a junior and no guidance from anyone (and the interships went great).
Who knows, maybe it would take me even longer to feel confident in the reception job (I doubt it, I pick up things quickly), it is quite different after all.
I understand keeping an eye on new staff for a few months, even more because I would have closing duties on my own after the two month training period. 
But it did seem long for the few responsibilities  tied to it.

Don't worry, I'm not a professional Darwinism candidate, I would never go to work and say that "I've got it, it's so easy! I don't need to take notes  ::)" and then suck at it, I'll be too busy being embarrassed not remembering stuff on the first day and lamenting that I suck at even the most basic job.

rosegirl

« Reply #9140 on: March 05, 2014, 07:40:58 PM »
Why do news anchors always have a stack of papers in front of them. They shuffle them every time they go to a break. They appear to be reading off of a teleprompter, so I'm curious about all those papers!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9141 on: March 05, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
Why do news anchors always have a stack of papers in front of them. They shuffle them every time they go to a break. They appear to be reading off of a teleprompter, so I'm curious about all those papers!

In case the teleprompters malfunction?  >:D

Xandraea

« Reply #9142 on: March 05, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »

In case the teleprompters malfunction?  >:D

Or, to give them something official-looking to do to look busy as the camera pulls away?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9143 on: March 05, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »
I don't tend to watch actual news shows, but I do watch cable news/talk shows sometimes. I've seen the hosts of those take notes during interviews, and I think they will sometimes have other notes that wouldn't be on a teleprompter to maybe review during commercial breaks?

I've never really been sure of the purpose of those, either, now that everyone uses teleprompters.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9144 on: March 05, 2014, 10:51:50 PM »

I think it's actually a script and schedule of sorts.  The teleprompter simply has the words they are reading, the papers in front of them let them know what's coming up next and breaks the broadcast into segments.  So if a segment gets moved around, they'll get an updated document to let them know.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9145 on: March 15, 2014, 05:48:46 PM »
I have begun wearing contacts again, but I'm having a seriously annoying issue.  I wear black eyeliner on my upper water line (crayon type), black eyeliner on my upper and lower lids (liquid type, above my lashes on the top and below them on the bottom), and black mascara.  I cannot pinpoint which one it is, but one of the three is leaving black spots on my contacts.  It doesn't matter if I put my contacts in before or after I apply the eye makeup.  I can't just soak my contacts and use solution to rub off the black spots, I have to scrape them off with my fingernail.

How do I stop this from happening?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Carotte

« Reply #9146 on: March 15, 2014, 06:06:01 PM »
I have begun wearing contacts again, but I'm having a seriously annoying issue.  I wear black eyeliner on my upper water line (crayon type), black eyeliner on my upper and lower lids (liquid type, above my lashes on the top and below them on the bottom), and black mascara.  I cannot pinpoint which one it is, but one of the three is leaving black spots on my contacts.  It doesn't matter if I put my contacts in before or after I apply the eye makeup.  I can't just soak my contacts and use solution to rub off the black spots, I have to scrape them off with my fingernail.

How do I stop this from happening?

You do a four day trial run using only one?
Like day one only the crayon, day two only the liquid eyeliner on the upper eyelid..

I'm not an eye doctor but I would really recommend against scrapping and fingernails on your contacts, it could cause a tear too small for you to see but big enough to harm your eye.
Maybe call yours (doctor) or swing by a place that sells contacts to be sure.

Another option is switching to daily contacts I guess, if your budget/correction allows it.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9147 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:28 PM »

...  You do a four day trial run using only one?
Like day one only the crayon, day two only the liquid eyeliner on the upper eyelid..

I'm not an eye doctor but I would really recommend against scrapping and fingernails on your contacts, it could cause a tear too small for you to see but big enough to harm your eye.  ...

I agree with the testing of one product at a time, but I'd maybe do it backwards.  I'd probably start with omitting the mascara because to me it seems like the most likely of the three to be the offender.  Just pick a day when you don't have to go anywhere important and omit the mascara.  See if you get the spots.  If you still do, then omit one of the others.

Are the dots on the inside of the contacts actually touching your eye, or are they on the outside of your contacts with exposure to air?

CuriousParty

« Reply #9148 on: March 15, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
I'm not sure what the "water line" is, but if you mean the inside of your eyelid, I'd start with that one.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9149 on: March 15, 2014, 10:47:12 PM »
I just have never had this issue before, and I've worn contacts for years with only a year off in between.  I will try omitting one at a time and let E-Hell know when I figure out which is the culprit.  I really don't think it's the liquid eyeliner, though.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.