Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1085331 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9150 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:47 AM »
I just have never had this issue before, and I've worn contacts for years with only a year off in between.  I will try omitting one at a time and let E-Hell know when I figure out which is the culprit.  I really don't think it's the liquid eyeliner, though.

Might be the mascara flaking off.  Some of the super water proof ones seems to do that.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9151 on: March 16, 2014, 11:55:56 AM »
Contact wearer for 30 years, here.

I was told not to wear any eye makeup inside the lash line because it could end up on my contacts.  I wear pencil eyeliner outside my lash line and mascara with no issues.  I always put my eye makeup on after I put my contacts in.  Easier to see, that way.

What kind of cleaner do you use?  If you use an all-in-one cleaner, it isn't going to work as well as a hydrogen peroxide cleaner.  I've never had issues with stuff remaining on my contacts using an H2O2 cleaner.  I use AOSept, with the little catalyst disk that converts the H2O2 back to H2O and releases little oxygen bubbles.  You do have to make sure your case is upright, which is a bit of an issue while travelling, but that's the only issue I've had.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9152 on: March 16, 2014, 12:04:57 PM »

I was told not to wear any eye makeup inside the lash line because it could end up on my contacts.  I wear pencil eyeliner outside my lash line and mascara with no issues.  I always put my eye makeup on after I put my contacts in.  Easier to see, that way.

What kind of cleaner do you use?  If you use an all-in-one cleaner, it isn't going to work as well as a hydrogen peroxide cleaner.  I've never had issues with stuff remaining on my contacts using an H2O2 cleaner.  I use AOSept, with the little catalyst disk that converts the H2O2 back to H2O and releases little oxygen bubbles.  You do have to make sure your case is upright, which is a bit of an issue while travelling, but that's the only issue I've had.

I use Clear Care.   Great stuff. The all in ones I can't use.   I also apply all my makeup after putting my contacts in,  but I don't usually wear mascara. I was also always told never to apply eyeliner on the inner lash line.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9153 on: March 16, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »

I use Clear Care.   Great stuff. The all in ones I can't use.   I also apply all my makeup after putting my contacts in,  but I don't usually wear mascara. I was also always told never to apply eyeliner on the inner lash line.

Clear Care is what I use now, too.  AOSept is what I used to use.  D'oh!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

turtleIScream

« Reply #9154 on: March 16, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
Okay, all this contacts talk has reminded me of my stupid question. My eye doctor just recommended I switch to using Clear Care. He gave me a cleaning case and a sample bottle. I just purchased my own solution, but it only came in a double pack. So, now I have two cases, and two and a half bottles. I am supposed to use a new case with each bottle, but what size do they mean? And why would they sell a two-pack of solution with only one case? Where can I get a case by itself?
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9155 on: March 16, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »
Okay, all this contacts talk has reminded me of my stupid question. My eye doctor just recommended I switch to using Clear Care. He gave me a cleaning case and a sample bottle. I just purchased my own solution, but it only came in a double pack. So, now I have two cases, and two and a half bottles. I am supposed to use a new case with each bottle, but what size do they mean? And why would they sell a two-pack of solution with only one case? Where can I get a case by itself?

I really don't think it matters that much.   I use the one I have for both bottles and have for years,  but I have kind of wondered why it doesn't come with two.

Eta: I looked it up in their webpage and it states to replace it with each new package,  not container. Also just a psa, really, really follow the Six hour soak time and do not put it directly in your eyes ever  (my DH did and chemical burned himself).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:43:20 PM by Dazi »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9156 on: March 16, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »
I always use just the one case with both bottles in the double pack with no issues.  I get mine at Costco because it is a lot cheaper.

The catalyst might not work as well for the last 1/2 of the second bottle.  If you are concerned about it, you can purchase a case separately for the second bottle.

I'm soaking lenses for at least 9 hours, though.  I take them out when I go to bed and put them in the next morning.
Ontario

AustenFan

« Reply #9157 on: March 16, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
I have begun wearing contacts again, but I'm having a seriously annoying issue.  I wear black eyeliner on my upper water line (crayon type), black eyeliner on my upper and lower lids (liquid type, above my lashes on the top and below them on the bottom), and black mascara.  I cannot pinpoint which one it is, but one of the three is leaving black spots on my contacts.  It doesn't matter if I put my contacts in before or after I apply the eye makeup.  I can't just soak my contacts and use solution to rub off the black spots, I have to scrape them off with my fingernail.

How do I stop this from happening?

It's the liquid eyeliner on the inside of the lash line that's doing it, says the voice of experience. I once got dark purple liquid liner stuck on my contacts.

Try a different brand, for some reason that fixed my issue.

Betelnut

« Reply #9158 on: March 16, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »
What is the best way to clean chocolate milk that spilled all over the carpet in the car.  Sigh.  Yes, I let my daughter "drink" chocolate milk in the car...

I wiped it up with a dirty cloth (I wasn't at home and didn't have too many options) but now want to avoid sour milk smell in the car.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9159 on: March 16, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »
What is the best way to clean chocolate milk that spilled all over the carpet in the car.  Sigh.  Yes, I let my daughter "drink" chocolate milk in the car...

I wiped it up with a dirty cloth (I wasn't at home and didn't have too many options) but now want to avoid sour milk smell in the car.

Dump a package of baking soda on it, rub it in, pray, vacuum it up in a couple of weeks. You will miss a lot of baking soda, but it won't stink, and it may absorb other stuff later!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9160 on: March 16, 2014, 09:12:37 PM »
I have begun wearing contacts again, but I'm having a seriously annoying issue.  I wear black eyeliner on my upper water line (crayon type), black eyeliner on my upper and lower lids (liquid type, above my lashes on the top and below them on the bottom), and black mascara.  I cannot pinpoint which one it is, but one of the three is leaving black spots on my contacts.  It doesn't matter if I put my contacts in before or after I apply the eye makeup.  I can't just soak my contacts and use solution to rub off the black spots, I have to scrape them off with my fingernail.

How do I stop this from happening?

It's the liquid eyeliner on the inside of the lash line that's doing it, says the voice of experience. I once got dark purple liquid liner stuck on my contacts.

Try a different brand, for some reason that fixed my issue.

I don't put the liquid liner on the inside of the lash line...because it got in my eye juice and turned most of my sclera black.  It was really cool looking but not something I want to repeat.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9161 on: March 16, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
I'm thinking the crayon type eyeliner on your waterline is most likely the culprit, if it's not your mascara. Sometimes the pencil eyeliners will leave sort of...goopy crayon type black spots on my makeup bag (mostly from the shavings since I sometimes carry my sharpener in there), so I could see something similar happening with your contacts.

But it could also be flaking mascara. Do you wear waterproof or non-waterproof? Sometimes the waterproof is more stubborn than the other kind, although both can be pretty hard to clean off of things.

But I would suggest skipping the pencil liner one day to see if that makes a difference. I'd feel weird wearing any liner without mascara, so I would say that if you still have the issue after skipping the pencil liner, skip that and the liquid liner and see if that makes a difference. If you still have issues after that, it's probably your mascara.

One other thing that's just occurred to me, actually. My mascara is more prone to flaking when it's older and starting to dry out a little. I don't have that problem so much with new tubes because I think they are just more liquid-y, which makes it easier to not overdo it on application. So if it is your mascara causing the problem and you haven't gotten a new tube of it within the past 3 months or so, that might be contributing.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #9162 on: March 17, 2014, 03:34:37 AM »

I cleaned up the residue of a milk spill with Clorox Wipes.  You do want to test to make sure they don't discolor the carpet. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

JoW

« Reply #9163 on: March 17, 2014, 07:48:29 AM »
I would use an enzyme-based cleaner formulated for cleaning rugs.  They are available in the cleanup section of a pet supply store or the pet department of a discount store.  They are marketed for cleaning up behind pets. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9164 on: March 17, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
It seems to have been the crayon liner...It's the first one I omitted and the problem seems to have cleared up.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.