News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 17, 2017, 07:21:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2281753 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9135 on: March 18, 2014, 06:57:19 PM »
What is the best way to clean chocolate milk that spilled all over the carpet in the car.  Sigh.  Yes, I let my daughter "drink" chocolate milk in the car...

I wiped it up with a dirty cloth (I wasn't at home and didn't have too many options) but now want to avoid sour milk smell in the car.

Wet vacuum cleaner. I found nothing less worked. Vacuum it, add soapy water and suck it up again. Actually get the milk out of the car.

Shop vac or steam cleaner (the canister type with a hose work best - it's too hard to get an upright into position with most vehicles) - if you have a shop vac, pour water onto the chocolate milk & keep sucking up the water until it comes up clear in the tank.

I have managed to clean the back of a minivan up after a chocolate shake spilled - but it involved getting all the seats out of the van to let me use the upright steam cleaner.  The canister/tank cleaner with a short wand & an upholstery attachment let me clean the floor between the front seats & in front of the seats. 

I love my Bissell Big Green Clean Machine (now about 21 years old) because it really does let me clean a lot of things.  I can even clean stairs...but getting the danged canister from upstairs to downstairs once the stairs are HALF done is not easy.  They don't make a longer hose....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

jpcher

« Reply #9136 on: March 19, 2014, 05:00:54 PM »
RE: Rude for two consultations

Definitely not rude, but I caution you to get them to define "free."

One place I went to for my DD#1 said free consultation when I made the appointment. When I got there they charged $75 which would be applied to the end bill if I chose to go with them. So the consult was only free if I chose them. ::)

I know I will be taking up an hour of each orthodontist's time (and creating at least some work for their respective staffs), but at the same time, they have so few differences on paper that it probably will come down to a decision about cost (if that's different) and personality or other similar considerations that would be impossible to assess except in person.

Personality and other considerations was important to me, even more than the dollar amount. Office staff is another thing to look at. After your consult, call them back a time or two with additional questions or clarifications . . . just to see how quickly your messages are returned, etc.

If you're not happy with either of the two first choices, go to a third (it does not have to be someone your Dentist recommends . . . get recommendations from friends.) Remember this is somebody that's going to be in your mouth for at least a year so, yes, you should feel comfortable with them.

Dindrane

« Reply #9137 on: March 19, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever I need done can be accomplished in less than a year, since I already had nearly 2 years of braces as a pre-teen. But it is definitely important to me that the office staff is good, that the orthodontist is one I'm happy with, and that the general procedures (etc.) work for me. Even if it's relatively quick, for orthodontics, it's still going to be hard to change my mind once things get started, so I'm trying to consider everything that will matter down the road now. It's why I was pretty sure it wasn't rude to schedule consultations with both. It does help that I've done the braces thing before, and was old enough that I have a reasonably good idea of how this process works.

So far, the two offices are pretty comparable in terms of how quickly they could see me, what hours they are open (and had appointments available), and how competent the person answering the phone sounded. So I'll see how the appointments themselves go.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #9138 on: April 08, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Okay, does anyone have a recommendation on a website (preferably a very easy-to-understand one) that would help me with some PHP programming?  All of the websites I've found so far explain aspects of the process that I either already know or don't need, or else bury me in technical jargon.  And my library has absolutely no books on the subject!

I can do HTML, and I've got the basics of PHP, but I need something to help me pull it together and figure out some of the specifics I'm going for.  Any suggestions?
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

squeakers

« Reply #9139 on: April 08, 2014, 03:05:35 PM »
Okay, does anyone have a recommendation on a website (preferably a very easy-to-understand one) that would help me with some PHP programming?  All of the websites I've found so far explain aspects of the process that I either already know or don't need, or else bury me in technical jargon.  And my library has absolutely no books on the subject!

I can do HTML, and I've got the basics of PHP, but I need something to help me pull it together and figure out some of the specifics I'm going for.  Any suggestions?

Something on this site might be what you are looking for: http://www.buildwebsite4u.com/advanced/php.shtml
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #9140 on: April 08, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
That does look promising; thank you!  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Snooks

« Reply #9141 on: April 08, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
I've used this site before to learn SQL, http://www.w3schools.com/

BigBadBetty

« Reply #9142 on: April 09, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »
I've used this site before to learn SQL, http://www.w3schools.com/

I second this recommendation. I use it a lot for stuff I learned, then never used, then forgot and now need to use again. I also use the videos at lynda.com. We have a subscription at work. I don't know what the fees are.

Carotte

« Reply #9143 on: April 09, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
So, I have flat feet (so no arch), and a pair of Onizuka shoes that still look like new  a year after purchase. I haven't worn them much because they have a massive arch support, it's like a mountain in there! So they hurt if I wear them too long. I can't take the insole out, it's glued/fused in.
Is there a magic solution?
I was told I would get used to it (by my own flat footed brother) but I'm clearly not  :(

Vall

« Reply #9144 on: April 09, 2014, 01:21:18 PM »
So, I have flat feet (so no arch), and a pair of Onizuka shoes that still look like new  a year after purchase. I haven't worn them much because they have a massive arch support, it's like a mountain in there! So they hurt if I wear them too long. I can't take the insole out, it's glued/fused in.
Is there a magic solution?
I was told I would get used to it (by my own flat footed brother) but I'm clearly not  :(
I'm interested in the answer to this too.  I've had the same problem.  It feels like there's the side of a 2X4 in my shoes that are digging into the middle of my foot with every step I take.

I've tried buying flat insoles and cutting the arch out in various ways to even things up.  It didn't work.  I've tried ripping the arches out even when they were glued in (ruined the shoes).  Now I'm just very careful when buying shoes.  If the arch is even slightly uncomfortable when trying them on, I know it will probably get worse when I wear them longer.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9145 on: April 09, 2014, 02:18:57 PM »
My feet aren't flat but they're close.  Whenever I buy new athletic or hiking shoes or get a new pair of orthotics, I always feel the arch.  I also get a pad under my metatarsals to combat my Morton's neuroma and that's even worse.

I wear them for a hour the first couple of days, slowly increasing the amount of time I wear them until I'm wearing them full time after about two weeks.

You could try something like that and see if you can work your way into it slowly.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

jilly

« Reply #9146 on: April 09, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »
You could try using a small hammer gently to speed up wearing them in. Our new school shoes would sometimes pinch the back of the heal and I'm sure I swathe sales assistant soften them up this way. I could be wrong I was easily distracted by the massive 'rocking' horse :)

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #9147 on: April 09, 2014, 04:04:12 PM »
I would try different shoes. If they're that uncomfortable, I don't think you should try to break them in. I think you risk injury. Running shoes should be comfortable or close to comfortable from first wearing. I have high arches, but I pronate (the two are often thought of as mutually exclusive, but they're not; they're just a bad combination). So I need high, stable arch support. My favorite shoes are Brooks Adrenaline. I don't even need insoles for the newest model. They're expensive, but they're less expensive than a joint injury.

ETA: Ah, I misread. I thought you were saying you needed high arch support. So scratch that about the Brooks shoes. But I still think you should go to a running store that analyzes your gait and looks at your feet, the way you put pressure on your feet, etc. You could save yourself a lot of grief.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9148 on: April 09, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
I would try different shoes. If they're that uncomfortable, I don't think you should try to break them in. I think you risk injury. Running shoes should be comfortable or close to comfortable from first wearing. I have high arches, but I pronate (the two are often thought of as mutually exclusive, but they're not; they're just a bad combination). So I need high, stable arch support. My favorite shoes are Brooks Adrenaline. I don't even need insoles for the newest model. They're expensive, but they're less expensive than a joint injury.

ETA: Ah, I misread. I thought you were saying you needed high arch support. So scratch that about the Brooks shoes. But I still think you should go to a running store that analyzes your gait and looks at your feet, the way you put pressure on your feet, etc. You could save yourself a lot of grief.

MrsJWine, 
I'm like you. Super high arches and pronate.  My current shoe is the Saucony Grid Ignition. I like it alright and it was comfy out of the box,  but there is just something missing.  That and I keep toeing the ground in them and I have no idea why that is happening.

I'm so going to have to look into the Brooks shoe line... Runner's world shoe advisor recommended Brooks Trance 11, Addiction 11,  and Mizuno Wave Creation for me.

When I used to run long distances I did in Mizuno shoes that I just loved. With all the injuries I've had,  walking is more my speed these days,  but I still prefer to do it in a nice running shoe.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #9149 on: April 10, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »
I have wide feet and I live in my Teva sandals and Aravon dress shoes (for work). I don't feel like I have shoes on in the Teva sandals and that is perfect for me.

I refuse to wear uncomfortable shoes.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien