Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1006000 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9165 on: March 17, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
It seems to have been the crayon liner...It's the first one I omitted and the problem seems to have cleared up.

Glad to hear you found the culprit so quickly!!   :)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9166 on: March 17, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
I think I know the answer to this, and didn't want to start a whole thread, but I'm wondering if it's rude or somehow not acceptable to schedule consultation appointments with two different orthodontists I am considering seeing.

I had braces as a kid, but some of my top teeth have shifted (largely because, like a little idiot, I didn't wear my retainer consistently or long enough post-braces). I had a dentist appointment this morning and finally decided to ask for a recommendation to an orthodontist to see what it would take to get my teeth straightened out again, and how much it would cost.

My dentist gave me two different names, both of whom are within a few miles of my house, accept my insurance, specifically advertise that they treat adults, and have more than one treatment option (depending upon what you need done). They also both offer a free initial consultation (which I imagine is the case for all orthodontists).

So it's not rude to set up consultations with both and decide which one to go with afterwards, right? I'm not even 100% sure that I will be having any orthodontic work done at this time anyway. My husband still needs to be convinced this is a good idea, based largely on the overall cost. And for that matter, since at least some of my motivation is cosmetic and I've lived with this particular flaw in my teeth for 15 years already, I still need to be convinced it's affordable right now.

I know I will be taking up an hour of each orthodontist's time (and creating at least some work for their respective staffs), but at the same time, they have so few differences on paper that it probably will come down to a decision about cost (if that's different) and personality or other similar considerations that would be impossible to assess except in person.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #9167 on: March 17, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »
Definitely not rude to do that - that would be why both of them offer free initial consultations, so that you can decide if they're going to be right for you.
That and each of them might quote you completely different costings for your work to be done, or offer different methods. There is nothing wrong with shopping around.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9168 on: March 17, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »
2nd opinions for medical care are never rude. I saw a couple before getting my braces. We actually went with the doc that said because of my asthma/sinus allergies I am a mouth breather (the real problem is my at the time undiagnosed broken nose but he didn't know that) there was a 50% chance my teeth would move back. I have retainers cemented to the inside of my teeth to minmize movement back.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Coruscation

« Reply #9169 on: March 17, 2014, 11:46:04 PM »
What is the best way to clean chocolate milk that spilled all over the carpet in the car.  Sigh.  Yes, I let my daughter "drink" chocolate milk in the car...

I wiped it up with a dirty cloth (I wasn't at home and didn't have too many options) but now want to avoid sour milk smell in the car.

Wet vacuum cleaner. I found nothing less worked. Vacuum it, add soapy water and suck it up again. Actually get the milk out of the car.

Carotte

« Reply #9170 on: March 18, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
2nd opinions for medical care are never rude. I saw a couple before getting my braces. We actually went with the doc that said because of my asthma/sinus allergies I am a mouth breather (the real problem is my at the time undiagnosed broken nose but he didn't know that) there was a 50% chance my teeth would move back. I have retainers cemented to the inside of my teeth to minmize movement back.

I wish my parents had me see a second dentist when I got my first set of braces (I was 12 so that was their call). There's a reason it was my first and I needed a second one.
First doc just put the braces in. Sure it straightenend them fine while I had the braces, and maybe for 6 months afterward, after that it was back to square one.
Second doc explained that she would have to pull out 6 or 8 teeths, do this, do that, then close up a gap, bring my lower jaw closer to my upper*, and this, and that...
That one was a pain and a half, I even got the head gear, but at least it stayed!

*I did cheat and never wore the elastics that were supposed to move my lower jaw, there's quite a gap (that doesn't bother me) but if I had I would look prognathe and that doesn't fit me at all.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9171 on: March 18, 2014, 07:37:47 PM »

I wish my parents had me see a second dentist when I got my first set of braces (I was 12 so that was their call). There's a reason it was my first and I needed a second one.
First doc just put the braces in. Sure it straightenend them fine while I had the braces, and maybe for 6 months afterward, after that it was back to square one.
Second doc explained that she would have to pull out 6 or 8 teeths, do this, do that, then close up a gap, bring my lower jaw closer to my upper*, and this, and that...
That one was a pain and a half, I even got the head gear, but at least it stayed!

*I did cheat and never wore the elastics that were supposed to move my lower jaw, there's quite a gap (that doesn't bother me) but if I had I would look prognathe and that doesn't fit me at all.
I started in 4th and finished in 12th grade. In elementary I was supposed to wear head and neck gear 24 hours a day. I have "scars" on the inside of my mouth from being punched in the face and the gear popping out and cutting the inside of my mouth. As soon as the orthodontist saw the cuts, he hit the roof. I didn't wear the gear at school after that. Had to wear it an extra year or two at home.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9172 on: March 18, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
What is the best way to clean chocolate milk that spilled all over the carpet in the car.  Sigh.  Yes, I let my daughter "drink" chocolate milk in the car...

I wiped it up with a dirty cloth (I wasn't at home and didn't have too many options) but now want to avoid sour milk smell in the car.

Wet vacuum cleaner. I found nothing less worked. Vacuum it, add soapy water and suck it up again. Actually get the milk out of the car.

Shop vac or steam cleaner (the canister type with a hose work best - it's too hard to get an upright into position with most vehicles) - if you have a shop vac, pour water onto the chocolate milk & keep sucking up the water until it comes up clear in the tank.

I have managed to clean the back of a minivan up after a chocolate shake spilled - but it involved getting all the seats out of the van to let me use the upright steam cleaner.  The canister/tank cleaner with a short wand & an upholstery attachment let me clean the floor between the front seats & in front of the seats. 

I love my Bissell Big Green Clean Machine (now about 21 years old) because it really does let me clean a lot of things.  I can even clean stairs...but getting the danged canister from upstairs to downstairs once the stairs are HALF done is not easy.  They don't make a longer hose....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9173 on: March 19, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
RE: Rude for two consultations

Definitely not rude, but I caution you to get them to define "free."

One place I went to for my DD#1 said free consultation when I made the appointment. When I got there they charged $75 which would be applied to the end bill if I chose to go with them. So the consult was only free if I chose them. ::)

I know I will be taking up an hour of each orthodontist's time (and creating at least some work for their respective staffs), but at the same time, they have so few differences on paper that it probably will come down to a decision about cost (if that's different) and personality or other similar considerations that would be impossible to assess except in person.

Personality and other considerations was important to me, even more than the dollar amount. Office staff is another thing to look at. After your consult, call them back a time or two with additional questions or clarifications . . . just to see how quickly your messages are returned, etc.

If you're not happy with either of the two first choices, go to a third (it does not have to be someone your Dentist recommends . . . get recommendations from friends.) Remember this is somebody that's going to be in your mouth for at least a year so, yes, you should feel comfortable with them.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9174 on: March 19, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever I need done can be accomplished in less than a year, since I already had nearly 2 years of braces as a pre-teen. But it is definitely important to me that the office staff is good, that the orthodontist is one I'm happy with, and that the general procedures (etc.) work for me. Even if it's relatively quick, for orthodontics, it's still going to be hard to change my mind once things get started, so I'm trying to consider everything that will matter down the road now. It's why I was pretty sure it wasn't rude to schedule consultations with both. It does help that I've done the braces thing before, and was old enough that I have a reasonably good idea of how this process works.

So far, the two offices are pretty comparable in terms of how quickly they could see me, what hours they are open (and had appointments available), and how competent the person answering the phone sounded. So I'll see how the appointments themselves go.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #9175 on: April 08, 2014, 12:22:18 PM »
Okay, does anyone have a recommendation on a website (preferably a very easy-to-understand one) that would help me with some PHP programming?  All of the websites I've found so far explain aspects of the process that I either already know or don't need, or else bury me in technical jargon.  And my library has absolutely no books on the subject!

I can do HTML, and I've got the basics of PHP, but I need something to help me pull it together and figure out some of the specifics I'm going for.  Any suggestions?
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

squeakers

« Reply #9176 on: April 08, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
Okay, does anyone have a recommendation on a website (preferably a very easy-to-understand one) that would help me with some PHP programming?  All of the websites I've found so far explain aspects of the process that I either already know or don't need, or else bury me in technical jargon.  And my library has absolutely no books on the subject!

I can do HTML, and I've got the basics of PHP, but I need something to help me pull it together and figure out some of the specifics I'm going for.  Any suggestions?

Something on this site might be what you are looking for: http://www.buildwebsite4u.com/advanced/php.shtml
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #9177 on: April 08, 2014, 04:18:11 PM »
That does look promising; thank you!  :)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Snooks

« Reply #9178 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
I've used this site before to learn SQL, http://www.w3schools.com/

BigBadBetty

« Reply #9179 on: April 09, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »
I've used this site before to learn SQL, http://www.w3schools.com/

I second this recommendation. I use it a lot for stuff I learned, then never used, then forgot and now need to use again. I also use the videos at lynda.com. We have a subscription at work. I don't know what the fees are.