Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 984616 times)

Carotte

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9180 on: April 09, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »
So, I have flat feet (so no arch), and a pair of Onizuka shoes that still look like new  a year after purchase. I haven't worn them much because they have a massive arch support, it's like a mountain in there! So they hurt if I wear them too long. I can't take the insole out, it's glued/fused in.
Is there a magic solution?
I was told I would get used to it (by my own flat footed brother) but I'm clearly not  :(

Vall

« Reply #9181 on: April 09, 2014, 02:21:18 PM »
So, I have flat feet (so no arch), and a pair of Onizuka shoes that still look like new  a year after purchase. I haven't worn them much because they have a massive arch support, it's like a mountain in there! So they hurt if I wear them too long. I can't take the insole out, it's glued/fused in.
Is there a magic solution?
I was told I would get used to it (by my own flat footed brother) but I'm clearly not  :(
I'm interested in the answer to this too.  I've had the same problem.  It feels like there's the side of a 2X4 in my shoes that are digging into the middle of my foot with every step I take.

I've tried buying flat insoles and cutting the arch out in various ways to even things up.  It didn't work.  I've tried ripping the arches out even when they were glued in (ruined the shoes).  Now I'm just very careful when buying shoes.  If the arch is even slightly uncomfortable when trying them on, I know it will probably get worse when I wear them longer.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9182 on: April 09, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »
My feet aren't flat but they're close.  Whenever I buy new athletic or hiking shoes or get a new pair of orthotics, I always feel the arch.  I also get a pad under my metatarsals to combat my Morton's neuroma and that's even worse.

I wear them for a hour the first couple of days, slowly increasing the amount of time I wear them until I'm wearing them full time after about two weeks.

You could try something like that and see if you can work your way into it slowly.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jilly

« Reply #9183 on: April 09, 2014, 03:34:57 PM »
You could try using a small hammer gently to speed up wearing them in. Our new school shoes would sometimes pinch the back of the heal and I'm sure I swathe sales assistant soften them up this way. I could be wrong I was easily distracted by the massive 'rocking' horse :)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #9184 on: April 09, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »
I would try different shoes. If they're that uncomfortable, I don't think you should try to break them in. I think you risk injury. Running shoes should be comfortable or close to comfortable from first wearing. I have high arches, but I pronate (the two are often thought of as mutually exclusive, but they're not; they're just a bad combination). So I need high, stable arch support. My favorite shoes are Brooks Adrenaline. I don't even need insoles for the newest model. They're expensive, but they're less expensive than a joint injury.

ETA: Ah, I misread. I thought you were saying you needed high arch support. So scratch that about the Brooks shoes. But I still think you should go to a running store that analyzes your gait and looks at your feet, the way you put pressure on your feet, etc. You could save yourself a lot of grief.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9185 on: April 09, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »
I would try different shoes. If they're that uncomfortable, I don't think you should try to break them in. I think you risk injury. Running shoes should be comfortable or close to comfortable from first wearing. I have high arches, but I pronate (the two are often thought of as mutually exclusive, but they're not; they're just a bad combination). So I need high, stable arch support. My favorite shoes are Brooks Adrenaline. I don't even need insoles for the newest model. They're expensive, but they're less expensive than a joint injury.

ETA: Ah, I misread. I thought you were saying you needed high arch support. So scratch that about the Brooks shoes. But I still think you should go to a running store that analyzes your gait and looks at your feet, the way you put pressure on your feet, etc. You could save yourself a lot of grief.

MrsJWine, 
I'm like you. Super high arches and pronate.  My current shoe is the Saucony Grid Ignition. I like it alright and it was comfy out of the box,  but there is just something missing.  That and I keep toeing the ground in them and I have no idea why that is happening.

I'm so going to have to look into the Brooks shoe line... Runner's world shoe advisor recommended Brooks Trance 11, Addiction 11,  and Mizuno Wave Creation for me.

When I used to run long distances I did in Mizuno shoes that I just loved. With all the injuries I've had,  walking is more my speed these days,  but I still prefer to do it in a nice running shoe.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9186 on: April 10, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »
I have wide feet and I live in my Teva sandals and Aravon dress shoes (for work). I don't feel like I have shoes on in the Teva sandals and that is perfect for me.

I refuse to wear uncomfortable shoes.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #9187 on: April 10, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
I buy all my shoes at Whole Earth Provisions or REI.  Merrill sports sandals for summer, Clarks low boots for winter.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9188 on: April 13, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
Can a car have a driver preference? Is there something in a car that has it learn your driving habits?

My car's specs show 28 city /37 hwy as its average mpg.  I consistently get 37 city/41 hwy mpg,  but when my DH or anyone else drives my car it totally tanks my average gas mileage to 28 mpg for city driving.

I don't understand why the huge gap.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

demarco

« Reply #9189 on: April 13, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »
Dazi, the same thing happens when DH drives my car. In our case it is because I drive correctly and DH drives like a bat out of ehell.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #9190 on: April 13, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »
Dazi, the same thing happens when DH drives my car. In our case it is because I drive correctly and DH drives like a bat out of ehell.

My former DH and I had the same discrepancy when I would drive his car. For the same reason :).

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9191 on: April 13, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
A person who is smooth and gentle on the accelerator, pressing it slowly from a start, as well as taking their foot off the gas earlier when approaching a red light will get much better gas mileage than the person who gives their passengers whiplash by hammering on the accelerator when starting and slamming on the brakes when stopping.

I get decent mileage, often better than the posted mileage for the vehicle.  There are very few people I can ride with without getting carsick because of their lack of smoothness.  And if it is stop and go traffic, regardless of the driver?  I'm green inside 10 minutes unless I'm driving.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9192 on: April 13, 2014, 08:57:39 PM »
A person who is smooth and gentle on the accelerator, pressing it slowly from a start, as well as taking their foot off the gas earlier when approaching a red light will get much better gas mileage than the person who gives their passengers whiplash by hammering on the accelerator when starting and slamming on the brakes when stopping.
My driving instructor, umpty-many years ago, would put a glass of water on the dashboard.  If you spilled the water by braking too hard, or accelerating too fast, you failed that day's lesson. 

DH used to holler at me "Why aren't you braking?!?"  Because I took my foot off the accelerator half-a-block back, and we're now coasting as the car slows down naturally, that's why. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9193 on: April 13, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »

I get decent mileage, often better than the posted mileage for the vehicle.  There are very few people I can ride with without getting carsick because of their lack of smoothness.  And if it is stop and go traffic, regardless of the driver?  I'm green inside 10 minutes unless I'm driving.

Ah,  that makes a lot of sense.   I drive very smooth because I get very carsick very easy.   I often get carsick with DH driving, even if I'm in the front seat.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9194 on: April 13, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »
Has anyone else ever noticed that we tend to say "kitty litter" and "cat food"?  Why?  My only guess is the way "kitty" and "litter" have the same number of syllables and nearly the same middle sound, so  it rolls off the tongue easily.  "Cat" and "Food", the same thing. 

Now I know I think too much  ::).