News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 04:03:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2553013 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9165 on: April 14, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
Bart Simpson is quite famous for saying "Don't have a cow, man".  ;)
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9166 on: April 14, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
Does the phrase "this person is having a cow" comes from the word conniption?

I just made the connection today, and realised I have no idea how to translate conniption in my own mother tongue.

I'd say "having a cow" is similar to the phrase "having kittens",  more anxiety related,  IMO.

Conniption is similar in meaning,  but not quite the same ...It's a fit of rage/hysteria and is a common slang phrase in the southern US.  A conniption fit requires hand and body gestures like throwing your arms in the air in FRUSTRATION and eye rolling. I think it's been around since the 1800s, so quite a bit longer than "having a cow".

ETA : it has been suggested that it is a corruption of the word canapshus or captious.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:41:25 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jpcher

« Reply #9167 on: April 15, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
Why would hair cutting shears require an adult over 21 (proof required) signature for UPS delivery?

How accurate is UPS on their estimated time for next attempt with delivery?

I looks like I'm going to have to take some time off work to accept a package for DD#2  :-\

squeakers

« Reply #9168 on: April 15, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »
Why would hair cutting shears require an adult over 21 (proof required) signature for UPS delivery?

How accurate is UPS on their estimated time for next attempt with delivery?

I looks like I'm going to have to take some time off work to accept a package for DD#2  :-\

Appears to be a CYA move: an adult signed for the package vs just anyone. I've signed for a lot of packages but they have never asked to see proof of my age.*

*wanders over to the "Your "I'm not that old!!!" moments " thread.*
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9169 on: April 16, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
Babybartfast had surgery almost a month ago.  She STILL has surgical tape residue in several places on her skin.  If it were me I'd just scrub myself raw and hope for the best, but she freaks out if you try anything more than a gentle once-over with a washcloth in the bathtub.  Any suggestions for other ways to get the residue off besides just scrubbing?

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9170 on: April 16, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
Non-acetone nail polish remover might do the trick.

Or, strange as it sounds, WD-40.  Maybe try a little mineral oil or baby oil or vegetable oil, though, first, before pulling out the big guns.   :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Marga

« Reply #9171 on: April 16, 2014, 07:42:29 PM »
Babybartfast had surgery almost a month ago.  She STILL has surgical tape residue in several places on her skin.  If it were me I'd just scrub myself raw and hope for the best, but she freaks out if you try anything more than a gentle once-over with a washcloth in the bathtub.  Any suggestions for other ways to get the residue off besides just scrubbing?

Benzene should do the trick. Or just make her wear clothing *over* the residue, hoping it will rub off in wear.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9172 on: April 16, 2014, 08:10:07 PM »
I wouldn't use benzene on a toddler.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

« Reply #9173 on: April 16, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »
I second some kind of oil or vaseline.  If that doesn't work, bring out the WD-40

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9174 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:57 PM »
Rubbing alcohol can sometimes help, although that usually does involve at least a bit of scrubbing.

You might want to leave a cloth soaked with baby oil over the residue for a while, that might loosen it better than just trying to wipe it off right away.
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9175 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »

Guess I should clarify  :P  Babybartfast is 5 1/2 and is in kindergarten.  The residue is on her thigh, her stomach, and the back of her hand - two of the three of which are pretty visible in current weather.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #9176 on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:44 PM »

Guess I should clarify  :P  Babybartfast is 5 1/2 and is in kindergarten.  The residue is on her thigh, her stomach, and the back of her hand - two of the three of which are pretty visible in current weather.

Butter or margarine.
Run it onto the residue, then wash off with soap.
Alternatively, mix the butter with liquid dish soap.
Rub gently with a washcloth.
Slather, rinse, repeat. ;D

Sounds weird, but it works. My mom used it on us we got covered in pitch from climbing pine trees. I used it on my own kids for the same thing and for bandaid residue.
Works like a charm!
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9177 on: April 16, 2014, 09:09:23 PM »
Nail polish remover dissolves most glues and paints as it's acetone. I once used it to clean spray paint off a glass table when I forgot to put down newspaper.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #9178 on: April 16, 2014, 09:12:25 PM »
I personally wouldn't use harsh chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin like benzene and acetone, especially near an incision site.

Try an oil.  If it doesn't work, well, it will wear off eventually.
Ontario

lisat

« Reply #9179 on: April 16, 2014, 09:23:51 PM »
I have a question for all you computer experts. Why do you have to type your email twice when registering for something?