Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 970081 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9225 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »
Why would hair cutting shears require an adult over 21 (proof required) signature for UPS delivery?

How accurate is UPS on their estimated time for next attempt with delivery?

I looks like I'm going to have to take some time off work to accept a package for DD#2  :-\

Appears to be a CYA move: an adult signed for the package vs just anyone. I've signed for a lot of packages but they have never asked to see proof of my age.*

*wanders over to the "Your "I'm not that old!!!" moments " thread.*

Are there laws in your area about buying / transporting  knives / weapons? If so, hair cutting shears may count as knives for the purpose of the rules.

I was wondering if it had something to do with the bold above.

When I called UPS to find out about alternative delivery times I asked them. They said it was something that the sender requested and couldn't give any other reason.

Oh, and yes, I was a bit disappointed when they didn't actually ask for my ID. I guess I just don't look younger than 21 any more. Sigh. ;)

Carotte

« Reply #9226 on: April 19, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »
Do I have any chance of succes if I plant sunflowers in a balcony planter?
I think the deepest planter I saw was 8 inches deep, and some varieties grow "small" (I saw one who had 18" advertised on the seed packet) so maybe, hopefully, I can grow some this summer...
(the spot I'm thinking about gets plenty of sunshine and is protected from too much wind).

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9227 on: April 19, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »
I think the deepest planter I saw was 8 inches deep, and some varieties grow "small" (I saw one who had 18" advertised on the seed packet) so maybe, hopefully, I can grow some this summer...
(the spot I'm thinking about gets plenty of sunshine and is protected from too much wind).

I grow mine in a large pot.  They don't seem to mind

Redsoil

« Reply #9228 on: April 20, 2014, 03:19:02 AM »
Sunflowers are pretty easy-going Carotte.  No matter if planted in paddocks (as they are here) or in pots!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

ScubaGirl

« Reply #9229 on: April 24, 2014, 08:31:33 AM »
Why would hair cutting shears require an adult over 21 (proof required) signature for UPS delivery?

I looks like I'm going to have to take some time off work to accept a package for DD#2  :-\

Cost?  My hair dresser once told me what her shears cost - I don't remember exactly but it was over $1000.  It costs hundreds to have them sharpened correctly. 

Melle

« Reply #9230 on: April 24, 2014, 09:06:29 AM »

I once had a sunflower reach a height of more than 6 feet from a 6 inch deep planter. Just make sure to use quality soil and don't let the planter dry out, you'll be fine :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9231 on: April 24, 2014, 09:44:17 AM »
From an Earth Day event I attended, it is also a bad idea to fertilize sunflowers. Good soil, water and light are enough.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9232 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »

Appears to be a CYA move: an adult signed for the package vs just anyone. I've signed for a lot of packages but they have never asked to see proof of my age.*

*wanders over to the "Your "I'm not that old!!!" moments " thread.*

Are there laws in your area about buying / transporting  knives / weapons? If so, hair cutting shears may count as knives for the purpose of the rules.

I've heard of more than one murder performed by library, photo, or other long & sharp shears - so they may indeed be categorizing them as potential weapons.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Betelnut

« Reply #9233 on: April 26, 2014, 11:25:06 AM »
How willing are nail technicians to take on really nasty nails?  My toenails desperately need professional help but they are in very dire straights.  I assume that nail technicians have "seen it all" but I am still scared to go in for a pedicure with them in the state that they are in (fungal, one black nail, long and sharp, uneven).

Any assurances that they will help me?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #9234 on: April 26, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »
They may not work on nails with a fungal infection, due to the risk of cross contamination.  I would call and ask.
Not such a newbie anymore

Carotte

« Reply #9235 on: April 26, 2014, 12:09:06 PM »
Here a podiatrist also takes care of skin and nail conditions, he might be a good first step in order to have you feets healthy enought for a nail technicians.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9236 on: April 26, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »
I agree with both newbiePA and Carotte. I think that going to a podiatrist first for the severe problems will at least give you a clean bill of health so that a pedicurist will be able to fix the rest.

I get a pedi maybe once or twice a year and my feet are in pretty bad shape when I finally do go -- cracked skin around my heels, long/uneven nails, heavy cuticles, etc. -- they are clean, but not pretty.

I've gotten some brief questioning looks from pedicurists, but they do a great job. Often suggesting creams and regiment (which I never listen to :-[). They are always polite and never disparaging.

They want you to come back, so they will treat you well.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9237 on: April 26, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »
They may not work on nails with a fungal infection, due to the risk of cross contamination.  I would call and ask.
POD. I have been told by spas and salons that they are legally forbidden to have me as client, if I have any signs of my skin condition visible. The concern is 2 fold
1. I might have an undiagnosed infection that could be contagious
2. I am technically immune compromised and might catch something a "normal" (my word not their word) person wouldn't. If that got traced back to the facility, it could face penalties for unsafe practices.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #9238 on: April 26, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »
This could probably get its own thread but is also a bit of a stupid question, so.

Can anyone recommend a fitness app for iOS that lets you track calories, what you eat, what's in your food (sodium, etc), and has NOTHING to do with that "my fitness pal" thing? I'm going to be giving my old iPod to my mother soon, and she's trying to track what she eats so she can try and keep her blood pressure down with dietary changes, so I thought I'd load an app onto there for her.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #9239 on: April 26, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »
This could probably get its own thread but is also a bit of a stupid question, so.

Can anyone recommend a fitness app for iOS that lets you track calories, what you eat, what's in your food (sodium, etc), and has NOTHING to do with that "my fitness pal" thing? I'm going to be giving my old iPod to my mother soon, and she's trying to track what she eats so she can try and keep her blood pressure down with dietary changes, so I thought I'd load an app onto there for her.

maybe try fitday.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah