Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1065983 times)

Hillia

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9255 on: May 16, 2014, 01:29:05 PM »
She *might* find a purebred dog of her chosen breed at a shelter; a lot depends on how popular the dog is or has been recently (I know there were ridiculous numbers of chihuahuas in California shelters recently, because of celebrities and movies).  It will be cheaper than buying from a irresponsible parent of the human variety, but not free.  Breed rescues will have more dogs, but they will be more expensive, and they will definitely ask about plan for inside/outside, walks, playtime, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9256 on: May 16, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »
We have told MIL that we will only support her in this if she has inside time for the dog, plans to socialize and take the dog through handling classes (for her, not the dog). In her prior pet ownership experiences, until 8 years ago, she completely ignored the animals other than very basic care and this breed is not only very active, they are a larger breed and she is not of the physical ability to cope with an active animal.

This breed has a very distinctive physical characteristic and apparently that is her number one priority over behavior and health.  :o

Carotte

« Reply #9257 on: May 16, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »
I'm curious about what breed it is now.
Bulldog maybe? I heard that especially purebred ones have tons of health problems, not the best one for a 'casual' owner!
I just hope for your sake and the dag that she tires of the idea before finding one..

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #9258 on: May 16, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »
I'm curious about what breed it is now.
Bulldog maybe? I heard that especially purebred ones have tons of health problems, not the best one for a 'casual' owner!
I just hope for your sake and the dag that she tires of the idea before finding one..

When I read "very active," "larger breed," and "very distinctive physical characteristic" my mind immediately jumped to Dalmatian. I knew a very well-trained one growing up and he was a wonderful dog, but I've also heard they can really be a handful.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9259 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
Rhodesian Ridgeback and she is only interested if the ridge on the dog is very prominent. MIL is quite the fad follower, only caring about that particular thing for a few weeks before jumping to the next. I will be talking to FIL about it when he is in town.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9260 on: May 19, 2014, 09:16:50 AM »
Rhodesian Ridgeback and she is only interested if the ridge on the dog is very prominent. MIL is quite the fad follower, only caring about that particular thing for a few weeks before jumping to the next. I will be talking to FIL about it when he is in town.
I hope for the dog's sake that you talk her out of it. Good luck!

magicdomino

« Reply #9261 on: May 19, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »
I hope for the dog's sake that you talk her out of it. Good luck!

I hope so too.  My impressions of Rhodesian Ridgebacks is that they are a potentially aggressive breed like dobermans and rottweilers.  Excellent dogs in the hands of an experienced owner who trains them well, but not for someone who can't be bothered to work with them.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9262 on: May 19, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »
What is ironic is that we have many friends with search and rescue dogs who use Rhodie mixes, and a few with purebreds. They are too much for a sedentary person to take on.

wheeitsme

« Reply #9263 on: May 19, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
Okay, I just went to the Rhodesian Ridgback wiki page.  Awww, such loves!

But not for the casual owner.  "Ridgebacks are strong-willed, intelligent, and many seem to have a penchant for mischief, though loving."  Also, "This breed requires positive, reward-based training, good socialization and consistency; it is often not the best choice for inexperienced dog owners".  It also points out that they are not good with negative reinforcement training because they are so sensitive.

If your MIL doesn't put in the work (and it sounds like she won't), she's going to end up with an unadoptable dog that she doesn't want.  :'(

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #9264 on: May 19, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
They are loves. They were also bred to hunt lions, so they need a *lot* of exercise if you don't have any lions on hand to wear them out.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9265 on: May 19, 2014, 03:06:18 PM »
No, and any training would need to be for her more than the dog. She is from the physical discipline school of child and pet rearing. It wouldn't be fair for the dog.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #9266 on: May 19, 2014, 06:22:09 PM »
Oh boy, that won't end well if she actually gets a Ridgie. A relative of mine had one... gorgeous dog, wonderful with family and children and anyone who was introduced to him as a friend, excellent guard dog - he spent his nights loose in the yard at a dealership and treed at least one attempted burglar on top of a tractor - and yes, very intelligent. The number of ways he worked out to get on the furniture without actually technically being on the furniture was impressive.

He was also aggressive towards anyone he wasn't introduced to as a friend, needed a lot of exercise every day, and had a high prey drive which my relative thought was hilarious, so was a cat- and small-dog-killer. He could have been trained out of the aggression and regarding small animals as prey, but that would require both the desire and ability to train him, and you can't train a big hunting dog out of needing exercise and mental stimulation.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9267 on: May 19, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »
Since she has had major hissy fits over cats bringing in dead squirrels, I don't think this is something she has considered.

Amava

« Reply #9268 on: May 19, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »
Since she has had major hissy fits over cats bringing in dead squirrels, I don't think this is something she has considered.

Oh heavens, my mother-in-law does that too.
She calls her one cat a word I can't say on this board but which is not all too friendly because he does that.

Also, any ideas how to stop my dog from hunting fledgling birds (blackbirds, sparrows etc) in my garden? I try to distract and discipline her when I notice her doing it, but she's often out on her own (walled garden, totally safe to not let her escape, but those birds... ).

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #9269 on: May 19, 2014, 09:55:41 PM »
Oh boy, that won't end well if she actually gets a Ridgie. A relative of mine had one... gorgeous dog, wonderful with family and children and anyone who was introduced to him as a friend, excellent guard dog - he spent his nights loose in the yard at a dealership and treed at least one attempted burglar on top of a tractor - and yes, very intelligent. The number of ways he worked out to get on the furniture without actually technically being on the furniture was impressive.

Did he ever try "If I lay across three people's laps and dont touch the couch I'm NOT on the couch"?

Our Great Dane did.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]