Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1055568 times)

squeakers

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9495 on: July 03, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »
DH's BFF is fond of telling a story about his father during WWII.  The story goes something like his father was in the Philippines which are quite warm.  His father would take captured rice and some water and set his bowl in the sun.  In a few hours he would have the start of a decent dinner that included the rations used back then.

His father did not talk much about his time during the war so it is a treasured remembrance.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #9496 on: July 09, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
I need some help from someone who sews. I'll admit upfront that I don't like knits. They're all stretchy and I have to switch my needle out, and..and..Everything!  :'( But DD found a really cute knit remnant at Joann and gave me the cute fabric eyes, and I ended up buying it. I made her a simple dress, and was trying to figure out how to finish the neck, and she found it. She immediately loved it, put it on, and stretched the heck out of the neck. Is there any way I can unstretch it? Or am I better off just cutting it into a skirt?
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

gmatoy

« Reply #9497 on: July 09, 2014, 06:16:31 PM »
I need some help from someone who sews. I'll admit upfront that I don't like knits. They're all stretchy and I have to switch my needle out, and..and..Everything!  :'( But DD found a really cute knit remnant at Joann and gave me the cute fabric eyes, and I ended up buying it. I made her a simple dress, and was trying to figure out how to finish the neck, and she found it. She immediately loved it, put it on, and stretched the heck out of the neck. Is there any way I can unstretch it? Or am I better off just cutting it into a skirt?

This is the way I finish off the necklines on most knits that I make (usually, but not always t-shirts): I use a piece (strip) of the fabric for "ribbing."  The stretch of the piece has go the long way. Usually I tell people to measure the neckline and make the strip of fabric about 3/4 of that. However, if she has stretched it out, you may need to make is a little less than that. The strip is sewn into a circle and then folded in half the short way. So a strip that is 12 inches by 4 inches will now be 12 inches by 2 inches.  Now using pins, mark the neckline into fourths and do the same with the strip that you're using as ribbing. Now match the two, you will need to stretch the ribbing piece a little. Adjust if necessary.  Sew it  and see if it is okay. Adjust again if necessary. Knits are often forgiving. It may be that you'll fix the neck, launder it and then have to fix the neck again because the knit went back into place.  (Make sense? Ask questions if you need to have it clarified.)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9498 on: July 10, 2014, 05:47:29 PM »
I have a couple of thoughts depending on the cut of the neckline and how tightly the bodice fits.

Can you maybe cut an inch or more of the stretched-out stuff off and finish it from there? This would cause a lower neckline and narrower shoulder straps, but if there's room enough, it could work.

Or, if the top is roomy and not tight fitting, you could make a casing and thread a thin piece of elastic through the casing so that the neckline has more of a gathered look and the stretching won't be noticeable. If not elastic, maybe threading a draw string through the casing that ties in front for a nifty bow type look.

Something like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/188360551/1940s-girls-flared-drawstring-neckline?ref=market

lilfox

« Reply #9499 on: July 11, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
This is the way I finish off the necklines on most knits that I make (usually, but not always t-shirts): I use a piece (strip) of the fabric for "ribbing."  The stretch of the piece has go the long way. Usually I tell people to measure the neckline and make the strip of fabric about 3/4 of that. However, if she has stretched it out, you may need to make is a little less than that. The strip is sewn into a circle and then folded in half the short way. So a strip that is 12 inches by 4 inches will now be 12 inches by 2 inches.  Now using pins, mark the neckline into fourths and do the same with the strip that you're using as ribbing. Now match the two, you will need to stretch the ribbing piece a little. Adjust if necessary.  Sew it  and see if it is okay. Adjust again if necessary. Knits are often forgiving. It may be that you'll fix the neck, launder it and then have to fix the neck again because the knit went back into place.  (Make sense? Ask questions if you need to have it clarified.)

Cool!  If I'm picturing it correctly, this is how you get the look of a t-shirt crewneck (or v-neck if you have the ends meet at an angle in the front instead of connecting like a circle). Does that leave a raw edge around the neck ribbing, or do you fold the edges under before sewing it into place?  Or do you use the folded edge on the outside (for a finished look) and the two raw edges together on the inside of the shirt?

gmatoy

« Reply #9500 on: July 11, 2014, 07:56:55 PM »

Cool!  If I'm picturing it correctly, this is how you get the look of a t-shirt crewneck (or v-neck if you have the ends meet at an angle in the front instead of connecting like a circle). Does that leave a raw edge around the neck ribbing, or do you fold the edges under before sewing it into place?  Or do you use the folded edge on the outside (for a finished look) and the two raw edges together on the inside of the shirt?

So, I pin the raw edges of the ribbing to the outside of the neckline of the garment. Sew with a zigzag stitch (or serge with a serger) stretching just as much as is needed to fit. I don't do any other finishing and have never had a problem. It will be exactly where it should be when you are done sewing.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9501 on: July 12, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
Cutting the knit itself from side to side and using it for ribbing works.

For a cute neckline, there is a picot edged elastic that can be used - measure pattern piece, cut 3/4 that amount of elastic, pin with the smooth edge of the elastic against the cut edge of the fabric & stitch with a zig-zag.  Turn it to hide all but the picot edge, top stitch it in place with matching thread to keep it from rolling back out to the front, and you get an edge of white or colored small lacy loops (it is used on lingerie, too) to make things look really finished.

There is also what they call fold over elastic - which looks like a really stretchy bias binding when applied (but doesn't need to be cut on the bias to be stretchy enough to go over someone's head).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:18:25 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9502 on: July 12, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »
I know next to nothing about real estate, so I want to know if this is normal. DF and I are looking at buying a house. I requested to view one from an agent and he asked if I would be willing to sign an agreement that I wouldn't work with another company. That seems outrageous to me, especially when all I did was request a viewing. "Hey, I know this is the first date, but let's get married tomorrow!" That's what it feels like to me.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #9503 on: July 12, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
^Not at all standard practice. I have loads of realtors in the family.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9504 on: July 12, 2014, 01:18:31 PM »
I know next to nothing about real estate, so I want to know if this is normal. DF and I are looking at buying a house. I requested to view one from an agent and he asked if I would be willing to sign an agreement that I wouldn't work with another company. That seems outrageous to me, especially when all I did was request a viewing. "Hey, I know this is the first date, but let's get married tomorrow!" That's what it feels like to me.

Also, in most parts of the US, it is now standard to have one agent working for the seller, and a completely different agent working for the buyer.

If the buyers use the seller's agent, there is the temptation for the agent to use any information gained from the buyers to the seller's benefit. "Hey, I know they offered $150,000, but I heard them discussing this and they could easily go $10,000 higher." "I saw their approval info from the bank and they can pay much more than they are offering." "They really, really want to be in this school district and your house is the only one they've seen that they like. Hold out for more money."

And if the same agent/agency represents both seller and buyer, they get both commissions.

Not saying all agents would do this, but why open the door? Get your own buyer's agent.

And check around for any adult education/community college courses about house buying in your area. You can learn a lot from those.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9505 on: July 12, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »

They have a lot to gain from the arrangement (a near certain deal) so what are they offering you in exchange? Do they expect you to do it just because?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9506 on: July 12, 2014, 07:33:02 PM »

They have a lot to gain from the arrangement (a near certain deal) so what are they offering you in exchange? Do they expect you to do it just because?

The only "upside" he mentioned was that I would get to work with him and his two partners, so I would have three agents working with me.  To me, it seems to benefit him a lot and me barely.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9507 on: July 12, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »

The only "upside" he mentioned was that I would get to work with him and his two partners, so I would have three agents working with me.  To me, it seems to benefit him a lot and me barely.

Oh, wow. How generous of him. Sorry, the sarcasm started dripping.

Yeah, stay away from him.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9508 on: July 12, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »
For a buyer No. For a seller yes.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Betelnut

« Reply #9509 on: July 12, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
Are the Teenage Mutant Turtles people who mutated into turtles or turtles that mutated into people?
Native Texan, Marylander currently