Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 1023408 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #9615 on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
When I was in high school, 'science pencils' were pencils with potential points at both ends.  No eraser, although you could add a push on eraser if you needed to.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9616 on: August 15, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Why not have your son e-mail the teacher for clarification?
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9617 on: August 15, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »
I just bought a brand new printer.  I followed the instructions to set up it and after inserting the cartridges, I get an error message that says the brand new cartridge must be replaced.  It is an HP Officejet 4632, if that helps.  Other than going to buy another cartridge, is there anything else I can do?  I am quite aggravated that this brand new printer with a brand new cartridge isn't working.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9618 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:10 AM »
I just bought a brand new printer.  I followed the instructions to set up it and after inserting the cartridges, I get an error message that says the brand new cartridge must be replaced.  It is an HP Officejet 4632, if that helps.  Other than going to buy another cartridge, is there anything else I can do?  I am quite aggravated that this brand new printer with a brand new cartridge isn't working.

First check the directions to make absolutely certain the cartridge is installed correctly.  Take it out and put it back in again and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, I would either:
a.) call or go to the store where you purchased the printer and discuss it with them - or -
b.) call HP's toll free customer service number and ask them about it

You shouldn't have to replace a never used cartridge!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9619 on: August 15, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »

If you *just* bought it, I'd take it back and exchange the whole shebang.   

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9620 on: August 15, 2014, 12:02:09 PM »

Double-check that there isn't a removable plastic strip - sometimes there's a little ring thingy you have to break off and pull to get the extra plastic film off.  (It keeps the ink from leaking during shipping, but the printer might read it as "no ink left" if it's still on . . .)

GreenHall

« Reply #9621 on: August 15, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
I can't remember if HP does it, but some manufacturers have an 'expiration date' on their ink cartridges.  And apparently some sort of small chip that talks to the printer/computer.  The expiration date comes, and the ink stops working, no gradual reduction of effectiveness, just an off switch.  (My office had a huge supply of (just expired) ink when we learned this...)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #9622 on: August 16, 2014, 09:52:02 PM »
Has there ever been a set of conjoined twins among the Amish ? Because the only results I can find on Google are jokey ones about "ha ha, I'm surprised TLC doesn't have a show about that." It's just one of those random things that popped into my head at lunch today.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #9623 on: August 17, 2014, 12:58:28 AM »
I'm sorry I didn't mention (only because it seemed obvious to me and I didn't consider that it wouldn't be obvious to others), but I had already checked that there wasn't something over the contact and had already reset the printer.  I will be taking back to the store the printer tomorrow.  Hopefully, I will be able to get a replacement on the spot.

Thanks for the suggestions, for had I not already tried them, they would have been good to knowl
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Redsoil

« Reply #9624 on: August 17, 2014, 03:10:37 AM »
Over on the reading pet peeves thread, Cabbageweevil said:  "given names for the great majority of males in England were John, Richard, Thomas, William, and James; and for the great majority of females, Mary, Elizabeth, Katherine, and Ann(e). " 

Which I found fascinating, and immediately wondered why it was so?  Surely humankind (even back in history) could have come up with a wider variety of names? 

I understand that names were often passed though the family line, and other names were considered appropriate for first daughters/first sons etc.  Also that names had to be fit for the class the person was born into.  So, some caveats and social conventions to adhere to, but I still wondered why we have such a myriad of names now as opposed to a very small amount of choice previously.

Also, what about other cultures?  I gather that children in certain cultures are given names which reflect their birth order (Wayan, I seem to recall is the number "One" son in Bali.)  Or some cultures don't name children until a certain time limit is passed, but may use a generic name, if any.

What do others know of naming customs?  Curious here.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Ereine

« Reply #9625 on: August 17, 2014, 04:31:54 AM »
I think that in Finland people (at least the common folk and for a long time Finnish names were mostly only for the lower classes) chose mostly names from the saint calendar (which still exists today, though has evolved into a secular calendar of name days) and presumably the most popular saints got the most namesakes. So Juho/Johannes/Jussi (for John the Baptist), Maaria/Maria, Anna, Katariina/Katriina/Katri/Kaisa and so on. Name day celebrations were a big thing, as people might not know their birthdays.

Coruscation

« Reply #9626 on: August 17, 2014, 06:14:58 AM »
At one time you were only allowed to use biblical names in England.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #9627 on: August 17, 2014, 08:00:43 AM »
Has there ever been a set of conjoined twins among the Amish ? Because the only results I can find on Google are jokey ones about "ha ha, I'm surprised TLC doesn't have a show about that." It's just one of those random things that popped into my head at lunch today.

I don't know, but if it ever has, I seriously doubt it would be made public. So Google wouldn't know either.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9628 on: August 17, 2014, 10:43:30 AM »
At one time you were only allowed to use biblical names in England.
Not exactly.  The Church insisted on saints' names, rather than biblical.  There were plenty of names in the Bible that didn't get used until the Protestant reformation.

There are a lot of historical name sources online, thanks to the SCA.  Period, documentable names, in such gracious plenty that no aspiring author needs to settle for Elizabeth/Mary/Katharine/Anne, or a jarring modern name like Legend. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Elisabunny

« Reply #9629 on: August 17, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »
Over on the reading pet peeves thread, Cabbageweevil said:  "given names for the great majority of males in England were John, Richard, Thomas, William, and James; and for the great majority of females, Mary, Elizabeth, Katherine, and Ann(e). " 

Which I found fascinating, and immediately wondered why it was so?  Surely humankind (even back in history) could have come up with a wider variety of names? 

I understand that names were often passed though the family line, and other names were considered appropriate for first daughters/first sons etc.  Also that names had to be fit for the class the person was born into.  So, some caveats and social conventions to adhere to, but I still wondered why we have such a myriad of names now as opposed to a very small amount of choice previously.

Also, what about other cultures?  I gather that children in certain cultures are given names which reflect their birth order (Wayan, I seem to recall is the number "One" son in Bali.)  Or some cultures don't name children until a certain time limit is passed, but may use a generic name, if any.

What do others know of naming customs?  Curious here.

I don't know about the boys' names, but the reason for those four girls' names are (retrospectively) fairly obvious.  Anne and Mary are the most common saint names for girls, so they showed up a lot.  Elizabeth and Katherine were both very common because they each have so many variations.  You could have an entire football team of Katherine Elizabeths, with each having a different, name-derived nickname.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...