News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 20, 2017, 12:41:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2419170 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12375 on: October 03, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »
OK, I have another might-be stupid question: why does the word filter replace my browser name with "FlamingVixen"?  I'm sure I have typed "Microsoft" and maybe "Internet Explorer" without any difficulty, and to me those are much dirtier words [given how much time their SNAFUs have cost me over the years]!

I understand the desire to mildly chastise-by-mocking the use of rude words, and now will often think of someone as a "bacon-fed knave" without knowing/remembering what the replaced word is, but I wonder what is so wrong with my incendiary vulpine helper. ???

Sincerely yours,

Puzzled
[a.k.a. Miriam]

Like you with bacon-fed knave (which actually I do remember what it replaces! - alternate for donkey), I used to know but now am not sure. I think it had something to do with ads or ad blocking.

Ah, gotcha!  Thanks for the enlightenment on both fronts.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Luci

« Reply #12376 on: October 05, 2017, 10:28:15 PM »
In the 60s and 70sthere was a lovely heirloom quality magazine published seasonally, I think. One of those no ads, high quality paper publications with a name like "Memories",  "Nostalgia".

I am looking for a poem published in the Christmas edition. It is a poem by Virginia Scott Miner about a little boy singing "Happy Birthday" to the baby Jesus.

I doubt that anyone can help with the magazine or poem but am hoping someone can tell me some other place to look. Thank you.

pattycake

« Reply #12377 on: October 05, 2017, 11:05:51 PM »
In the 60s and 70sthere was a lovely heirloom quality magazine published seasonally, I think. One of those no ads, high quality paper publications with a name like "Memories",  "Nostalgia".

I am looking for a poem published in the Christmas edition. It is a poem by Virginia Scott Miner about a little boy singing "Happy Birthday" to the baby Jesus.

I doubt that anyone can help with the magazine or poem but am hoping someone can tell me some other place to look. Thank you.

Might it have been Reminisce? They are still in operation.

Luci

« Reply #12378 on: October 06, 2017, 12:12:38 PM »
A flash of genius and a restroom break at 4: AM brought "Ideals" to mind. "Reminisce" sounds like something I might like, too.

Thanks.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12379 on: October 06, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »
A flash of genius and a restroom break at 4: AM brought "Ideals" to mind. "Reminisce" sounds like something I might like, too.

Thanks.

Does that mean you found your poem, Luci?  [As opposed to just remembering the name of a/the publication.]
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Luci

« Reply #12380 on: October 06, 2017, 07:53:52 PM »

Thanks.

Does that mean you found your poem, Luci?  [As opposed to just remembering the name of a/the publication.]

No. I need to do more research. I do know what facility she willed her works to now. I'm trying to figure out how to approach them. Email? Formal business letter? How much do I tell them about why I am looking for it?

On a whim, I put "what's that poem" in the search engine. There is such a site, but I couldnít find her in it.

Iím open to suggestions. Thanks.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #12381 on: October 07, 2017, 03:11:42 AM »

Thanks.

No. I need to do more research. I do know what facility she willed her works to now. I'm trying to figure out how to approach them. Email? Formal business letter? How much do I tell them about why I am looking for it?

On a whim, I put "what's that poem" in the search engine. There is such a site, but I couldnít find her in it.

Iím open to suggestions. Thanks.

try doing a search with her full name in quotation marks.  That will cut down on extraneous results and force the search to only show results with her name

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #12382 on: October 07, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »

She had two books of poetry published, Slender Screen and Many Angel River. You might be able to get one or both by inter-library loan or buy a used copy online, but they're old enough that the poem wouldn't be in either, unless what you saw was a reprint. (The more recent of those was published in 1967). Googling for her name and "Christmas poem" got me a three-line poem about a dog. (I am not one of the secret masters of the universe, I was just in a mood to play with google.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Luci

« Reply #12383 on: October 07, 2017, 10:10:14 AM »

She had two books of poetry published, Slender Screen and Many Angel River. You might be able to get one or both by inter-library loan or buy a used copy online, but they're old enough that the poem wouldn't be in either, unless what you saw was a reprint. (The more recent of those was published in 1967). Googling for her name and "Christmas poem" got me a three-line poem about a dog. (I am not one of the secret masters of the universe, I was just in a mood to play with google.)

Thanks. I have The Slender Screen and will try to find Many Angrl River.

I will try Google and Amazon again.

sandisadie

« Reply #12384 on: October 07, 2017, 07:09:20 PM »
Here's what happened yesterday (Friday).  In my mail was an apparent padded envelope addressed to me.   On the shipping label is printed sellercentral.amazon.com on the top right.  I open it and find that it contains the electric shaver parts I had ordered from Walmart online on Monday.  Further down on the shipping label is a return address of a company which is not the company listed for the item on the Walmart site.  Funny thing is that the outer wrapping is not a padded envelope but Christmas wrapping paper inside out and folded several times so it is bulky.  Inside of that wrapping is a priority USPS padded envelope which is folded several times.  I guess my stupid question is - if I ordered from Walmart online then why does  Amazon.com show up on the shipping label and why is the item apparently not coming from the actual vendor that shows on the Walmart site?  As an aside - I placed the order on Monday, received an email on Thurs. stating that the item has been shipped and will arrive on October 16th.  I received it on Oct. 6th!  Guess that could be a mistake in typing.

GreenBird

« Reply #12385 on: October 07, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
Here's what happened yesterday (Friday).  In my mail was an apparent padded envelope addressed to me.   On the shipping label is printed sellercentral.amazon.com on the top right.  I open it and find that it contains the electric shaver parts I had ordered from Walmart online on Monday.  Further down on the shipping label is a return address of a company which is not the company listed for the item on the Walmart site.  Funny thing is that the outer wrapping is not a padded envelope but Christmas wrapping paper inside out and folded several times so it is bulky.  Inside of that wrapping is a priority USPS padded envelope which is folded several times.  I guess my stupid question is - if I ordered from Walmart online then why does  Amazon.com show up on the shipping label and why is the item apparently not coming from the actual vendor that shows on the Walmart site?  As an aside - I placed the order on Monday, received an email on Thurs. stating that the item has been shipped and will arrive on October 16th.  I received it on Oct. 6th!  Guess that could be a mistake in typing.

Did you buy from Walmart itself or from one of its "marketplace" sellers?  If it was a marketplace seller, then they could be reusing packaging to mail your item. 

sandisadie

« Reply #12386 on: October 07, 2017, 07:51:48 PM »
Yes, I ordered from a marketplace seller.  But not the one named on the return address on my shipping label.  I suppose both companies could be owned by the same people?  What I really thought was strange was the amazon.com printed on the shipping label.  I know that Walmart and Amazon are competitors on line.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #12387 on: October 07, 2017, 08:15:20 PM »
It's possible the seller had to order the item from Amazon themselves to get it to you. I've heard of a few sellers who do that kind of thing.
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12388 on: October 07, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »
It's possible the seller had to order the item from Amazon themselves to get it to you. I've heard of a few sellers who do that kind of thing.

This - it's called drop shipping, and it's annoying but apparently worthwhile for some people. They create a program to browse two sites (say, Amazon and eBay) for item X. If item X sells at a different price - say it's $100 on Amazon but $50 on eBay - they'll automatically create a listing for "$80!" on Amazon. Then if someone buys it, they do a $50 "buy it now" on eBay and have it shipped to the $80 buyer. They pocket the $30, the eBay shipper is the one who has to actually package and go to the post office, and it's something they can do from elsewhere in the world where that $30 goes further.

The downside: if you buy item X for $80 and the drop shipper suddenly realizes the price on eBay jumped (or more likely, there was only one and it sold), they just jerk you around for a few weeks hoping another one will show up cheaply somewhere. If it doesn't, they say "oops so sorry" and refund your money. Annoying for you, but not something sites like Amazon will ding them for unless it happens a lot.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #12389 on: October 08, 2017, 11:26:26 AM »

This - it's called drop shipping, and it's annoying but apparently worthwhile for some people. They create a program to browse two sites (say, Amazon and eBay) for item X. If item X sells at a different price - say it's $100 on Amazon but $50 on eBay - they'll automatically create a listing for "$80!" on Amazon. Then if someone buys it, they do a $50 "buy it now" on eBay and have it shipped to the $80 buyer. They pocket the $30, the eBay shipper is the one who has to actually package and go to the post office, and it's something they can do from elsewhere in the world where that $30 goes further.

The downside: if you buy item X for $80 and the drop shipper suddenly realizes the price on eBay jumped (or more likely, there was only one and it sold), they just jerk you around for a few weeks hoping another one will show up cheaply somewhere. If it doesn't, they say "oops so sorry" and refund your money. Annoying for you, but not something sites like Amazon will ding them for unless it happens a lot.

What you're describing is a vendor's technique that *uses* drop shipping, but that's not what drop shipping is. Drop shipping is quite common in industry and doesn't involve jerking people around. All that happens in a drop ship is that the intermediary (a wholesaler or the online vendor in your case) gets an order for something, buys it from a source and then has the source ship directly to the buyer, rather than having it physically move from the source to the intermediary and then from the intermediary to the buyer. This saves time and shipping costs. In some cases, the intermediary will *already* have bought the product, but are paying the vendor to warehouse it and ship it when needed.

An honest intermediary won't accept an order for something that they aren't certain that they can get. What you're describing is someone who is gambling on being able to get the item.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.