News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 12:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread  (Read 2507339 times)

sandisadie

Re: The "This Might Be A Stupid Question, But...." Thread
« Reply #12465 on: November 10, 2017, 06:47:54 PM »
A couple of years ago we had our system checked to see if it was "balanced" properly.  I'm not sure exactly what "balanced" means but they checked the air coming out of each duct and did some other stuff.  They made some adjustments and our systems worked better.  We have our a/c and furnaces checked twice a year and it was on one of these visits that they suggested doing the "balanced" check.

andi

« Reply #12466 on: November 10, 2017, 07:15:29 PM »
You'd also be surprised at how many things in your home suffer when exposed to big temperature changes. Also humidity changes, if you're in a part of the world where your A/C is also necessary as a dehumidifier. Towels don't smell as fresh, some medicines go bad faster, houseplants don't thrive, wooden furniture can stress more easily, etc. May not be as big a deal if you're somewhere with dry heat, but here in Alabama A/C is the difference between "comfortable" and "feel like you've been slapped in the face with a wet towel."

Southern Louisiana here. Having the ac run through out the day is the difference between misery and comfort

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #12467 on: November 10, 2017, 07:47:28 PM »
Houston, Texas area - when our upstairs A/C broke down, the upstairs was miserable and the downstairs would not stay at a comfortably balanced temperature...so not comfortable, but not *quite* miserable.  We had to replace the entire system upstairs...expensive but the house is so much more comfortable now.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

HoneyBee42

« Reply #12468 on: November 10, 2017, 09:07:03 PM »
Recently, there was a situation in my neighborhood in which the people across the alley diagonally were having a loud argument, followed by someone driving away.  When they drove away, they ran into a power pole.

Pretty much instantaneously with the impact, there was a huge blue-white flash *behind* them and the power went out.  When the utility company came, they were working on the other pole.  (I had called in to the power company and relayed what I had seen.)

In the interim, a neighbor from the next block was driving by (I had decided to go out and get non-perishables from my grocery trip the previous night, as it was pouring when I got home) asking if we had power, and she said something about how it would be much more expensive to get the house warmed back up when the power came on again.

So, my "possibly stupid" questions:

1)  While I realize it could have been coincidental and a transformer blew just at the same time as the next utility pole was hit, it'd have to be a pretty amazing coincidence because it was pretty much car hit pole, fraction of a second later the flash/power outage, why would an impact on one pole cause a problem at the one behind it?

2)  It seems to me that, since no power is being consumed during the outage, that getting the house back to the prior temp after the power comes back on should be pretty much a wash vs. power consumption if there'd been no interruption ... or is the neighbor right that there would be a significant up-tick in usage that would make a measurable difference in the power bill?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #12469 on: November 10, 2017, 09:29:40 PM »
Recently, there was a situation in my neighborhood in which the people across the alley diagonally were having a loud argument, followed by someone driving away.  When they drove away, they ran into a power pole.

Pretty much instantaneously with the impact, there was a huge blue-white flash *behind* them and the power went out.  When the utility company came, they were working on the other pole.  (I had called in to the power company and relayed what I had seen.)

In the interim, a neighbor from the next block was driving by (I had decided to go out and get non-perishables from my grocery trip the previous night, as it was pouring when I got home) asking if we had power, and she said something about how it would be much more expensive to get the house warmed back up when the power came on again.

So, my "possibly stupid" questions:

1)  While I realize it could have been coincidental and a transformer blew just at the same time as the next utility pole was hit, it'd have to be a pretty amazing coincidence because it was pretty much car hit pole, fraction of a second later the flash/power outage, why would an impact on one pole cause a problem at the one behind it?

2)  It seems to me that, since no power is being consumed during the outage, that getting the house back to the prior temp after the power comes back on should be pretty much a wash vs. power consumption if there'd been no interruption ... or is the neighbor right that there would be a significant up-tick in usage that would make a measurable difference in the power bill?

1. It depends. An animals could have been on the line and fled during the accident and got itself fried in the the transformer. Pretty common squirrel problem where I live tbh. Or I suppose the impact could have snapped the line causing it to blow...

2. Also, it depends. It depends on where you live, how hot/cold it was outside compared to inside, how long the power was actually out, and how long it took to get the temp back to comfortable. It probably wouldn't make a significant enough difference to notice on one bill, I wouldn't imagine more than a few cents extra, to maybe a dollar or two tops.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

JoW

« Reply #12470 on: November 11, 2017, 10:52:41 PM »
A couple of years ago we had our system checked to see if it was "balanced" properly.  I'm not sure exactly what "balanced" means but they checked the air coming out of each duct and did some other stuff.  They made some adjustments and our systems worked better.  We have our a/c and furnaces checked twice a year and it was on one of these visits that they suggested doing the "balanced" check.
For a forced-air heating or cooling system "balanced" means the air flowing out of the ducts was checked for volume and temperature.  They also check volume and temperature entering the returns.  They confirm that, for example, you don't have all of the cold air flowing into one room.  There are dampers (like valves only bigger) in the ducts that can be adjusted to restrict air flow to rooms that are getting too much and to send more air to rooms that aren't getting enough.  Its a fairly simple process but it requires air flow meters that no one but the HVAC maintenance people have. 

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #12471 on: November 12, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
Also the heat insulation standard of your house will impact how much you need to run air conditioners and heaters.

If you have a well insulated house, then running AC or heater all day is going to be minimal since it will stay relatively constant. If you have a house like mine (basically an air sieve, so whatever temperature it is outside is the same temperature inside because the house has no thermal insulation properties what so ever  :( ) then heating/cooling it all day would be eye-wateringly expensive.
<3

TracyXJ

« Reply #12472 on: November 13, 2017, 06:57:16 AM »
Supposedly the idea of lowering the temp while you're away and then raising it when you're home (or the reverse in the summer) works if you only adjust it by a few degrees.  We've never gotten it to work, but we've had all sort of problems with our system.

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #12473 on: November 13, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »
And we've never tried it because my DH works outside, and his take is, "I want to cool off when I come home. I'm not going to wait for the house to cool off. That's why we have jobs - keep the house cool!"  ;D We also both like a cool house in general, so in the winter we keep the heat fairly low anyway (74-76 F in summer; 66-68 F in winter).

I did see an article recently that said there's no real financial benefit to raising/lowering the temp, because the system has to work harder to adjust temps all at one time. But as PPs have pointed out, I'm sure that varies based on insulation, outdoor temps, system efficiency, etc.
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #12474 on: November 15, 2017, 06:45:59 AM »
So the saving money is the simple fact that the heat won't turn on as the temp lowers? So it doesn't save anything if you keep it constant, even if the constant is 60 compared to a constant 80?

The way it was explained to us was that keeping a constant temperature [60 or 80] requires the boiler to fire more often but for shorter lengths of time, and that this uses less gas in the long run than trying to heat the house from 40 to 80, say, two or three times a day.

The theory sounded great, we were trying it, but before we could measure the gas used we couldn't stand the house being so hot, despite having the thermometer at its lowest setting.  I miss the other boiler we had, before we moved, as that 10+ year-old technology seemed so much better than the brand-new boiler [well, 2 years old] that we have now. :'(  I suspect that following our heating installer's advice was one of the worst mistakes I've made for a while. :(

I would be interested to know if you try the constant-temp vs timed usage, and what results you get, rose red, as I'm perfectly ready to believe that a better system would make this work.

Honestly, it sounds like your thermostat is faulty.

It might well be.  [There's nothing about this set-up that has impressed me :-\]

But as we've found the same with the previous three houses/flats where we've lived, it may also be just that we don't like 'overheated' houses.  Drives me up the wall when the frost-stat turns the boiler on without my consent - and that is from the boiler itself, not the thermostat [still makes the house too hot for me].

I suspect people who grew up in homes* with insulation and central heating could/would view things differently...

* Ah, 17thC stone house, built straight onto clay with a Rayburn for hot water.  I remember boiling the kettle to pour down the plug-hole (to melt the ice) before we could use the basin in the bathroom. :)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

GreenHall

« Reply #12475 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:52 AM »
So the saving money is the simple fact that the heat won't turn on as the temp lowers? So it doesn't save anything if you keep it constant, even if the constant is 60 compared to a constant 80?

The way it was explained to us was that keeping a constant temperature [60 or 80] requires the boiler to fire more often but for shorter lengths of time, and that this uses less gas in the long run than trying to heat the house from 40 to 80, say, two or three times a day.

The theory sounded great, we were trying it, but before we could measure the gas used we couldn't stand the house being so hot, despite having the thermometer at its lowest setting.  I miss the other boiler we had, before we moved, as that 10+ year-old technology seemed so much better than the brand-new boiler [well, 2 years old] that we have now. :'(  I suspect that following our heating installer's advice was one of the worst mistakes I've made for a while. :(

I would be interested to know if you try the constant-temp vs timed usage, and what results you get, rose red, as I'm perfectly ready to believe that a better system would make this work.

Honestly, it sounds like your thermostat is faulty.

It might well be.  [There's nothing about this set-up that has impressed me :-\]

But as we've found the same with the previous three houses/flats where we've lived, it may also be just that we don't like 'overheated' houses.  Drives me up the wall when the frost-stat turns the boiler on without my consent - and that is from the boiler itself, not the thermostat [still makes the house too hot for me].

I suspect people who grew up in homes* with insulation and central heating could/would view things differently...

* Ah, 17thC stone house, built straight onto clay with a Rayburn for hot water.  I remember boiling the kettle to pour down the plug-hole (to melt the ice) before we could use the basin in the bathroom. :)
Not quite at the level you describe above, but one thing about growing up with a lack of insulation and central heat (and air) - I really appreciate it now.

turtleIScream

« Reply #12476 on: November 16, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »
Okay, I feel like this is a really stupid question, but, that's what this thread is here for, right?

I just signed up for a knife skills class (yay, me!) They provide the knives, yes? I assume they do for liability (and upselling) purposes, but don't know for sure.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

gramma dishes

« Reply #12477 on: November 16, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
Okay, I feel like this is a really stupid question, but, that's what this thread is here for, right?

I just signed up for a knife skills class (yay, me!) They provide the knives, yes? I assume they do for liability (and upselling) purposes, but don't know for sure.

Can you briefly explain what 'knife skills' are? 
Do you learn to use them for culinary purposes?  Throw them at targets?   Kill wild animals with the fancy ones advertised on late night TV?  Or do you use a variety of sharpeners and polishes and special microfiber cleaning cloths to keep your cutlery in tip top shape?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #12478 on: November 16, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »

Do you learn to use them for culinary purposes?  Throw them at targets?   Kill wild animals with the fancy ones advertised on late night TV?  Or do you use a variety of sharpeners and polishes and special microfiber cleaning cloths to keep your cutlery in tip top shape?

They are culinary classes aimed at teaching people how to use different types of knives found in the kitchen.

Some classes do provide knives, but you can bring your own if you'd like for familiarities sake.  And you can always contact the class organizer and ask :)

Hmmmmm

« Reply #12479 on: November 17, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »

They are culinary classes aimed at teaching people how to use different types of knives found in the kitchen.

Some classes do provide knives, but you can bring your own if you'd like for familiarities sake.  And you can always contact the class organizer and ask :)

I'd call the organizer. If at a cooking store like Sur La Table, they will provide the knives because they also want to sell you knives. Other places might suggest you bring your own knives.