News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 12:49:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tailor shop etiiquette  (Read 2442 times)

nonesuch4

Tailor shop etiiquette
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:53:14 AM »
Clothing should be new or freshly laundered or dry cleaned. Not only is it more pleasant to work on, the pressing and heat required for any professional work may set any stains present. 

If at all possible, you should have been laundered within the last 24 hours, too.

Please wear underwear, knickers, or panties to your fitting.

For a special occasion gown or dress, wear the foundation garments you will wear with the dress for all your fittings.  Itís frustrating to tailor something only to have to charge you to make it fit again when you come in with the brassiere youíre *really* going to wear with your dress.  In some cases, a new foundation may eliminate the need for altering altogether.

Please wear the shoes you will wear with your garment.  This goes for floor length dresses, and pants and trousers, too.

Please treat the seamstress/tailor with respect.  He or she has a skill that has been developed over years of time. You are paying for something you do not want to do, or canít do yourself.  Like any other business, there is rent to pay on the real estate the business occupies, maintenance on equipment, supplies and utilities, too.  Expecting the service to be provided at minimum wage for the time spent is not realistic.

Ciarrai

Re: Tailor shop etiiquette
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
One for tailors:
 - Don't tell the client that she'll never lose the weight, and proceed to take out the garment because you just know she won't be able to fit into it. It's none of your business.

Happened to me with my grad dress in high school. I gained a few pounds on a theatre trip to England, so my dress was a bit too tight when I got home. When I came in for my fitting just before my actual graduation, I had lost the weight but the tailor said he didn't think I could do that, so he'd taken the dress out and it was now too large for me.

nonesuch4

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:16:46 PM »
When I came in for my fitting just before my actual graduation, I had lost the weight

The tailor was wrong to even accept the garment and fit it.  You shouldn't have been fitted at all if you were in the process of losing weight. The body you present to the tailor will be the body the clothes will fit when s/he is done, and it was the tailor's job to inform you of that. The prudent thing to do is to ask the customer to come back closer to the event.

A store might not be able to do the turn-around so quickly.  In that situation they may suggest you find someone else, or charge a rush fee for fitting and completing a garment in a short time frame.

I once altered a gown for a bride who was working out/losing weight for her wedding.  In the end, what she wanted was someone who would agree to fine tune the alterations two weeks before the wedding if it was needed.  She agreed to pay a second time, too, if it came to that.  The seamstress at the  bridal store told her she "didn't seem like the type to lose weight."  She told her this over the phone.

Sorry that "professional" let you down.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:00:23 PM by nonesuch4 »

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
From a sewing business site I used to frequent - don't have your tummy tucked, your backside lifted, and your bosom plumped a week or so before the wedding - AFTER your custom made dress has been finished but two days before the "Final Fitting".

The bride's parents were plastic surgeons - it was their "wedding gift".

The dressmaker rewrote her contract after that to add that there would be rush fees and extra fitting fees if you gained weight, lost weight, or had your body deliberately reshaped within X number days of the wedding (a month?  because it would really interfere with her scheduled work load if she had to take the dress apart and completely redo it...............).

Same site also had a bride who came straight from the gym with ONLY jogging bra and bike shorts on..................hadn't showered............was shocked that the dressmaker expected her to have showered and brough any "special lingerie" for the outfit because she was trying to get into the kind of shape that she wouldn't NEED "any special lingerie".............she brought lingerie to the next fitting and was shocked to find that it counted price wise as the second fitting, she was being charged for the "unused" fitting even though she thought it shouldn't have cost her any money since the seamstress refused to work with her (sweaty) bare body.

Then there was the friend of DD's who asked me to fix a dress for Renn Faire - she had worn it commando................and thought it was "dry clean only".  Turned out that it could be washed by machine, cold water, delicate cycle, and hung overnight to dry (yes, I did use color safe bleach - why do you ask?) while still allowing me time to make the repairs.

People who don't sew have some odd ideas about what a sewing machine can do by itself, without an "experienced driver" at the presser foot!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?