News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 06, 2016, 06:36:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Almost tragic...what close calls have you had?  (Read 3851 times)

Twik

Re: Almost tragic...what close calls have you had?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 09:55:13 AM »
My closest call was one day when I had plans to go out with a friend. I was running around getting ready, and didn't have time to sit down to eat lunch, so I was chewing on a peanut butter sandwich as I went.

I took a bite too large, and it stuck in my gullet, sealing off my windpipe.

I remember my mind racing when I realized I couldn't breathe. What do I do? Call 911? But I can't talk. Run out into the hallway, bang on the neighbour's doors? Someone might know the Heimlich manoeuvre. All the while choking and trying to force the lump either up or down.

Finally, I managed to vomit up the sandwich, and start breathing again. I remember seeing my face in the mirror, and it was white as paper.

My friend wondered why I wasn't very talkative when I met up with him.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Dawse

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2016, 01:06:54 PM »
Two small tales to tell on myself as a small child.

I was what was sometimes referred to as 'active' and occasionally 'difficult' (sorry, mum!). We were in a shop, me, younger brother and mum, when I was about five or so, and I'd clearly got bored. So I left. Mum says she looked up from what she was doing (fitting my brother for shoes, maybe?) and noticed I'd gone. Fortunately she thought to double check outside 'just in case' and just as she stuck her head out of the door, noticed my distinctive curly hair vanishing round a corner! She left my brother with the friend she was shopping with and ran (hard!) after me.

Another time, my brother was still in a buggy, so no more than about 2 and a half, which would have made me about four, and my mum had taken us into town for something or other. We were on the top floor of a department store ready to go downstairs, so we went to get in the lift - mum let me push the button and get in the lift first, but before she could get the brake off the buggy the lift doors closed - with me in the lift and mum outside! She had to leave my brother under the eye of a staff member and leg it down the stairs to retrieve me.

I'm sensing a theme here and understanding why my poor mum has grey hair.
'A troth, by the way, is a small furry creature with fins, the offspring of a trout and a sloth. I often wonder what they saw in each other, but then I suppose the sloth, being upside down, would tend to have a different slant on things.'

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2016, 01:18:56 PM »
DH had gone shopping with his father, and he was 3. They were sitting at the front of a store, next to a plate glass window, and DH put his head back with enough force, breaking the window, and getting a severe cut that required stitches.  :o
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Hillia

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »
I was in college, so certainly old enough to know better.  I was home for the summer, and my mom wanted to refurbish her bathroom.  This bathroom had a large plate glass mirror (4'x 6', maybe), held to the wall with screws and decorative plastic caps.  I climbed up onto the counter and began removing the screws, starting with the top one.  I'd just started on the first lower screw when the whole mirror fell forward off the wall, knocking me to the ground and shattering on top of me.  I was lucky to get just a few bruises from falling off the counter and one or two minor cuts.

stkatie00

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
I have 2, both relating to my pregnancy.

During my pregnancy, and before we traded in my car for our van, my DH was driving my car during the summer because the air conditioning didn't work, and during a Washington, DC summer, AC is very important! As we moved into fall, and cooler temperatures, we switched back. I was about 5 months pregnant with twins and driving to work on one of the major highways in the area. Traffic was traveling at ~55 mph, in a construction zone, so no shoulder to pull off on. Suddenly, my vision started to narrow, I was seeing black spots, and I just knew I was going to pass out. All I could think was that I was going to crash, because there was no place to pull over, and cars all around me, and that all 3 of us were going to die. Just as my vision tunneled down to nothing, a break in the construction opened up and I was able to pull over safely. I'm not actually sure if I fully passed out at that point or not, but I did sit there for a solid 10 minutes or so before finishing up my drive to work. Where I was promptly driven home by my boss because my face was just white. It turned out that the angle of the drivers seat in my car meant the babies were putting pressure at just the right spot to cause slowed blood flow and therefore, fainting. It still terrifies me to think about it!

The other story isn't as dramatic, and I was never really in danger, but if it had been in the not too distant past, I would have been. I went into preterm labor at 31 weeks, 1 day. After contractions were slowed, I developed HELLP syndrome and I started going into renal failure. They delivered the twins at 31 weeks, 2 days, and while they had to spend 6 weeks in the NICU, they were amazingly healthy for preemies, and are now fully caught up nearly 5 year olds. But, if modern medicine wasn't what it is, again, all 3 of us could have died.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2016, 12:24:40 AM »
When I was around 11, my best friend and I were riding our bikes around the little man-made lake area at the condo where I lived with my mom at the time. We stopped at the gazebo, which had a balcony / patio area with these thorn bushes underneath. I don't know why I kept my helmet on that day - I usually took it off when we stopped there on our usual track - and we did what we normally did with sitting on the rail of the balcony. I sat too far back, fell over the railing, into the bushes. I rolled a bit down the hill but didn't hit the little lake (thankfully). If I didn't have my helmet on, it's quite possible that it would have been worse than it was. I just had cuts and bruises and needles everywhere!  ::)

Another close call was when I was working retail. In my haste to get back, I slipped and flew into the register area. About three minutes before, the manager moved the display of a very pointy low table that would have hurt a ton. We were getting a ton of complaints about it - upper management thought it was a good little child's area right at the check out! - so I was happy when it was moved. I was even happier after my big as ever fall and breaking my first ever bone. My employers were not happy that it happened a week before Christmas but I would have fallen either way. The floor was super slippery due to winter weather.

The last close call wasn't really mine but everyone who lived in the house or went down into the basement. See, our house was built in the late 60s / early 70s and the stairs to the basement were not put in the proper way. I was carrying a box down to the basement, stepped down on the first step, and went with the stairs straight down to the basement. I walked away with only scrapes, bruises, and a tweaked muscle in my shoulder. It really could have happened anytime, like when my grandmother or mom was going up and down the stairs, so that's why I call it their close call.

So, yeah, I've only broken two bones in my life. I swear, I was a stunt double in another life. One broken bone was right above my ankle at the end of my leg bone (the register injury) and my nose while walking outside without my cane (yes, I know how stupid that is ;D). In my defense of the second one, it was a walk with my little dog after having a bigger dog who I could actually see go up and down with the bumps in the sidewalk.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 01:18:56 PM »
When I was in Elementary School, a friend and I were walking home and a man pulled up beside us near the curb and tried to coax us into his car.  We said no and kept walking (we should have run), but he followed us at a slow roll and kept at it.  He sped off when a lady came around the corner and saw him with us.  They never found the guy, and we weren't allowed to walk to or from school for a long time.

Dr. F.

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »
Was driving to work just about a year ago. It was early in the morning with heavy fog. There was maybe about 10 yards of visibility. I was driving along a two-lane road that has a usual speed limit of 65 MPH. As I was going up a hill, I noticed headlights heading towards me. I assumed it was because of the hill/curve. No, it was someone passing in my lane, facing me, in a blinding fog against a yellow line on a hill and curve. I slammed on my brakes and swerved onto the shoulder, just barely avoiding sliding into a ditch. I think I missed a head-on collision with the oncoming car by about 6 inches. I can *still* see the skid marks on the road every morning when I drive into work. And, no, there are no skid marks the other direction. So far as I can tell s/he didn't brake despite nearly slamming into me head on.

Who the heck tries to pass someone on a 2-lane road at 6AM in a blinding fog against a yellow line, on a hill and a curve?!?! I noticed that same car every morning following when I drove in until my schedule changed.

phase3

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 10:46:12 PM »

This happened about a year ago. When I need to wash comforters or blankets, I take them to a very nice, quiet laundromat not too far away – it has a few of those huge industrial size washers & dryers that work better for such things. I was going to take a comforter and 2 blankets, but at the last minute I changed my mind. A friend picked me up and I decided to postpone that chore and run a few other errands.

As we were returning to my place, we saw several police cars and emergency vehicles near the laundromat. Lights flashing, etc. Then we got closer and saw what happened – a car had CRASHED into the front of the laundromat, glass all over the place, a big commotion. Half of the car was still stuck in the large front window.

Got home and turned on the news. They said an elderly woman lost control of her car, crashed into the laundromat, basically destroyed the front of the place and also damaged the cleaners next door. 

Had I not changed my mind about going to the laundromat, I would have been in the middle of that.  Whew.  Life is indeed strange…I was very lucky.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 10:57:53 PM »
When I was a youngster my mother told me to never accept a ride from anyone except for her or my dad, "not even the preacher."  You can tell where this is going, right?  Our minister offered me a ride, and I said, "My mom says I can't accept a ride from anyone, not even the preacher."  The minister thought it was hilarious when he told my mom about it, and I got credit for following instructions.  I was 6 at the time.