News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 28, 2015, 12:08:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Four more cats? (Update Pg 4))  (Read 5120 times)

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My Dreamwidth
Re: Four more cats? (Update Pg 4))
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »
Before I got my current litter box (holds 35 pounds of litter...thank goodness the farm store sells own-brand litter for $4 a 25-pound bag!) I used two rather large boxes, about half full, and scooped them out every night. That, however, is for adult cats. For kittens, you ideally want a shallower box so they can easily get in and out, and I've heard it recommended to use only non-clumping litter for young kittens, I suppose so they don't accidentally ingest it while they're still properly figuring out how to clean themselves. It's also recommended, at least by the shelter here, to scoop a kitten box three times a day.

You're supposed to have one box for each cat, plus one extra, but honestly I just find that incredibly wasteful and darn near impossible to actually do. Especially as you're not supposed to put them all in one place!
"So, what did you wish for?"
"I wished for... World domination, of course."

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »
Liliane, I am deeply envious of $4 for 25 pounds.  The cheapest that I have been able to find in this area is the 30 pound bulk refill at Petco for $10.  Amazon sells 40 pounds of Precious Cat litter for something like $18, but the delivery guy keeps leaving it at the front door, and for some reason that box is miserable to carry around to the back.

Current status is three for the three resident cats, plus one lined with newspaper for Nani to pee in.  ::)  There are extra boxes, so that I can wash them when it is convenient.   Then there is the one in the guest room with the three newcomers which is clearly inadequate.  A telephone book at the entrance helps the kittens get in and out, although at four months old, they are almost half the size of Charlotte.  I think I'm going through at least 30 pounds of litter a week.  The trash bags are having trouble holding the weight. 

Liliane

• My Dreamwidth
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2015, 10:46:19 PM »
I'd go ahead and put a second box n for the kittens if you can. It'll probably help.

This may sound like a bit of an odd question, but - what kind of food have you got them all on? I used to go through tons of litter till I put my cats on a much better food (currently Taste of the Wild, but that's...not exactly cheap. There are lower-priced brands that are still good.) Now even with four cats, the only time my litter bag is threatening to break my arms (or itself) is when I do a complete litter change, dumping everything out of the box and starting over with all fresh litter. The better the food, the more of it they can digest, the less waste they'll produce. If you'd like some suggestions, I can PM you.

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2015, 10:33:39 AM »
Magic gets a mixture of Royal Canin Mature dry food, a Royal Canin "picky eater" formula, and some of the kittens' Royal Canin kitten formula dry food.  She lost most of her appetite when her brother died and the new cats appeared, so basically she gets whatever she is willing to eat.  Magic doesn't like canned food.

Everyone else is getting Natural Balance Chicken and Green Pea or Duck and Green Pea dry food.  Koa has allergies, and it is easier to feed everyone the same thing.  The kittens also get Royal Canin kitten formula, although Charlotte swipes some of it.  Then again, the kittens eat Charlotte's grown up food too.  Koa and Nani share half a can of grain-free canned food at night; Charlotte and babies share half a can of the Friskies left over from Domino.

This morning, Charlotte escaped from the guest bedroom into Nani and Koa's room.  She has been very curious about the world outside the bedroom and finally squeezed past me.  I decided to leave her in there while I'm at work.  She'd had breakfast, there was water and a litter box in there, and the girls prefer to spend the day in my bedroom.  I've been wondering if it is time to let her see the rest of the house anyway.   

Liliane

• My Dreamwidth
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
That's a decent one, yup. Afraid I don't have any more suggestions on the litter front then, except maybe to try a lighter kind? I know there's at least one brand that makes a less heavy litter.

Aw, roaming kitty! ;D

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2015, 03:50:28 PM »
That's a decent one, yup. Afraid I don't have any more suggestions on the litter front then, except maybe to try a lighter kind? I know there's at least one brand that makes a less heavy litter.

Aw, roaming kitty! ;D

It's Tidy Cats and I really like it

Jocelyn

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2015, 09:49:15 PM »
Less heavy litter=more easily kicked litter

The reason why you don't use clumping with kittens, is that their noses are so close to the litter. If they inhale litter dust as they're digging, it clogs their noses.

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
First, the obligatory cat photos.  :)

Octavia and Charlotte:

Damiri:

Damiri . . . is not working out as a companion.  I was recently thinking about Domino, and realized that Damiri is just like him.  She sees me as a provider of food and occasionally entertainment, but otherwise doesn't want to have anything to do with me.  It's as if there is an emotional barrier between us.  It didn't hit me until Octavia came back.  Octavia shows some curiosity about me; she'll sniff a shoe or my hand, or jump up on the the bed to take a quick peek to see what I'm doing.  Damiri retreats to her corner, waiting for me to leave. I've talked to Val, who says that sometimes a kitten is feral in her heart and soul.  Domino's neurotic behavior may have been because he was forced to be a house cat, living with the creature that he distrusted so much.  So, when Damiri is older, if she wishes to be an outside cat, she can be.  Likewise, Charlotte will be given the option.  At least, it will avoid upsetting Magic, as I can't figure out how to get her to accept another adult cat when she fears and despises the current ones.  I still have hopes for Octavia, though.

Having made that distressing decision, I opened the window to the screened porch, just to see if the family was interested.  A few hours yesterday afternoon, and again today, since the weather was reasonable.  No interest whatsoever.   ::)

squeakers

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2015, 07:30:53 PM »
One of our cats is not very interested in being affectionate unless she feels like it.  The other cats are constantly wanting attention but she is aloof.  But now and then if you start patting (never petting) her she goes into total lovebug mode.  It doesn't last very long.

There's also the deal with some cats not liking people who want their attention near as much as their liking the person who doesn't like cats.  I think it has to do with being a small predator and not wanting a larger predator to notice them.

Your cats are gorgeous!
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Liliane

• My Dreamwidth
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »
What lovely cats! I can't quit giggling at Damiri's unimpressed face!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2015, 06:52:51 AM »
Give it time; Damiri is still a baby and can learn.  I wouldn't allow her to be an outside cat if only because of her color.  Black cats are often in terrible danger from people with insane ideas about them.

Jocelyn

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
Give it time; Damiri is still a baby and can learn.  I wouldn't allow her to be an outside cat if only because of her color.  Black cats are often in terrible danger from people with insane ideas about them.
Second that. I rescued a litter of ferals. They've all become much more social with age, and being around my other kitties. The day a feral kitty turns belly-up and says, 'Scratch, please!' is one of the sweetest days ever.

Snooks

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »
Our cats spent the first six weeks with us underneath a table pressed up against each other.  Eventually they turned into complete softies.  One loved to sit on newspaper or sit next to you (not on you) and the other one was just a total doofus.  We did a lot of just sitting in the same room as them.

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
This may be moot anyway.  So far, Charlotte is not interested in going out where it is cold, and there are predators, and you have to search for food instead of having plenty of it brought to you.  Since Damiri is glued to Mama, she has no interest in going outside either. 

Which brings me back to the problem of integrating them into the household without distressing Magic so badly that she makes herself sick.  I finally got her back up to eating a quarter cup of dry food a day.  For over a week, she was eating only about a tablespoon of food a day.

katycoo

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »
I have 2 cats, both domestic.  Neither is affectionate - its just the way they are.  The best they do is sit in the same room as you, and ask for pats. Sometimes.  Sometimes they also cry for pats, so you pat them, and then they walk out of arms reach and cry again.  They're a bit broken.  But they never like to be held or sit on laps.

We have 1 litter box for the 2 cats which we scoop at least twice daily - more if it needs it.  We put a second box out if we're away overnight, but otherwise there's not room for it.