News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 24, 2016, 01:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 496339 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2250 on: April 15, 2016, 07:53:53 PM »
Perusing Dr. Grumpy

Dear Dr. Grumpy,

I teach psychology courses at a community college.

I was teaching Intro Psych one quarter, and we were at the neuroscience portion of the course. One student spent every class either snapping her gum, texting, or staring off vacantly with ear buds in.

On exam day students were required to list the 4 lobes of the cerebral cortex and to write just one function of each lobe.  It's an easy section of the test for most students. This one, however, could only come up with 1 lobe and its function.

Her answer:   "Ear lobe - hearing."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #2251 on: April 15, 2016, 10:37:57 PM »
It is a master's level course, but this is something that would be done in a professional environment. The professor is both a practitioner and academic, so it makes sense in this case. This is not really a research course, it's a theory course.

Mr. SD is fond of using obscure and esoteric wording in every day speech. I have a wide vocabulary, but he stretches my comprehension.

I'm in a similar course right now, management communications for engineers. Using technical jargon would be a near-automatic fail, unless you were talking to a technical audience. One of the first lectures was on audience analysis. It sounds like your co-student needs that lesson.

Not school related, but I have to avoid legal jargon when I'm doing media appearances.  Sometimes I'll forget and automatically use the legal jargon term, but I almost always catch myself and add, "That's fancy legal jargon for [basic gist for laypeople]."  Sometimes I even do it on purpose, because the legal term is vital to even lay discussions of the topic, but sounds like normal words, and I want listeners to have heard the legal term so that they know it has a special meaning in a legal context, even though it sounds like ordinary English words.

My boss on the other hand...purple prose and legal jargon all the way.  He needs the course on audience analysis, too.  >:D

Chipmunky

« Reply #2252 on: April 18, 2016, 07:30:26 AM »
I NEARLY committed Student Darwinism myself this past week...

I'm wrapping up a Master's program, and my last class requires a final paper. I write said paper, pleased that I'm at the 9 page mark for the 8-10 page max with my conclusion. Before submitting it, I take a final gander at the instructions to make sure I covered everything.

Whereupon I see that the 8-10 page max is with the separate citations pages.  The paper itself is only to be 6-8 pages.

Cue momentary panic, before I take a deep breath, read back through my paper, and remove some superfluous sentences/rework others into more concise terms.  Paper is now just under 8 pages, submitted a week before the deadline, and I can now breathe easy.  :D

gmatoy

« Reply #2253 on: April 18, 2016, 10:50:21 PM »

I'm wrapping up a Master's program, and my last class requires a final paper. I write said paper, pleased that I'm at the 9 page mark for the 8-10 page max with my conclusion. Before submitting it, I take a final gander at the instructions to make sure I covered everything.

Whereupon I see that the 8-10 page max is with the separate citations pages.  The paper itself is only to be 6-8 pages.

Cue momentary panic, before I take a deep breath, read back through my paper, and remove some superfluous sentences/rework others into more concise terms.  Paper is now just under 8 pages, submitted a week before the deadline, and I can now breathe easy.  :D

Chipmunky, Give yourself a big pat on the back for checking to see that everything was according to the instructions. Not all students do that final step.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2254 on: April 18, 2016, 10:53:40 PM »

My cousin also finished a masters while pregnant. I just have to say...kudos to you.  And I'm sending sleepy thoughts your way. 
Maryland

Chipmunky

« Reply #2255 on: April 19, 2016, 08:07:39 AM »
Thanks PastryGoddess! I now have about 5 weeks to get everything I've been putting off around the house completed, along with preparing my things at work for my leave time. No rest for the wicked, right?  ;D

Thank you, gmatoy - I would have loved to keep analyzing things in my paper, but checking the instructions definitely saved my butt (along with my fingers on the keyboard!)

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #2256 on: April 21, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »

My cousin also finished a masters while pregnant. I just have to say...kudos to you.  And I'm sending sleepy thoughts your way.

My mom got her masters while pregnant with me & my bro, apparently she was surprised she graduated since twins apparently suck twice the brains cells out ;)

FauxFoodist

« Reply #2257 on: May 12, 2016, 11:00:33 PM »
Well,  many years later, and I'm still the student who flat out refuses to coddle a slacker.

We had a group presentation due tonight where each of us in the group had a weekly assignment we each had to do individually that contributes to the semester group work.  This student did about 2/3, sporadically, and then had one claim after another why she couldn't do her assignment (the most recent one was that she was in a really bad car accident, which I wouldn't have doubted normally, but then when I had to review everyone else's work for our assessment of our groupmates, I saw she also managed to have computer problems and phone problems and blah blah blah.  She also showed up to the final presentation late and, of course, without her assessment completed at all (she actually asked me if I had the names of the other group members; I told her no but that she could log into the class' online presence and get it from there).  I am totally the wrong person for slackers to sit next to because I am not going to help them.  I worked really hard in this class and went above and beyond for my group work so I wouldn't let anyone down (I despise group work).  Had she bothered to even look at anything I contributed online towards what was needed for the group and for us to do individually, she would've had half the info she needed for her assessment.  I didn't intend to at first, but I made it very easy for everyone in the group to see how much work each groupmate put in (I set up an Excel spreadsheet; I wasn't going to share originally but I figured I just would since I already did it anyway.  They, otherwise, would've had to do research that would've taken a couple of hours, at the very least, for each of them).  She had access to that info same as everyone else...if she bothered to log into the class site at any time in the past few days, never mind the past few months.  Instead, she came in late, sat in the seat next to me like a bump on a log while everyone was discussing the presentation.  I don't know what she was thinking was going to happen -- someone was going to coddle her and hold her hand through the process?  There's a reason why schools ask students if they are sure they are prepared to take an online class.

Anyway, I supposed someone would ask that if I were willing to help my groupmates before, then why not when she was asking?  Because it was obvious she wasn't doing a darned thing to help herself.  My work was all done before I got to class, including my assessment.  I work full time and had a full-time class load for the semester.  Hey, I've been having major health issues, too!  Basically, I did my work, and my groupmates let me know they never felt I wasn't going to contribute my part of the presentation (I just included my part yesterday afternoon).  By the time this student arrived, despite all the work I had already provided to my groupmates, she still hadn't bothered doing anything so I wasn't about to let her "cheat" off me by getting info from me without even making the "effort" of logging into the computer in front of her and getting it there.  It'll be a blessing and a gift if her group grade is even passing.  She finally put in her part of the presentation three hours before class.  How did I know?  Because I went online to see if I had the most recent version of the presentation and discovered she ruined my individual slides in the process but didn't bother to fix what she ruined in the presentation, thus creating more work for me when I thought I was done.  Don't sit next to the person you just created even more work for and expect any more help than what I already gave willingly to the group as a whole.