Author Topic: Facebook Misunderstandings  (Read 3045 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: Facebook Misunderstandings
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »
A friend of mine posted as her status once: Woman Refuses To Click on Smarmy Clickbait Headline. You'll Never Believe What Happens Next.

Someone actually thought it was one of those headlines. Really.
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 02:43:44 PM »
A friend of mine posted as her status once: Woman Refuses To Click on Smarmy Clickbait Headline. You'll Never Believe What Happens Next.

Someone actually thought it was one of those headlines. Really.

Please tell me they clicked on it repeatedly!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
DH posted a quote from Major League about six months after we got married. "Big knock baby, big knock!" (No idea of the context, as I've never watched the whole movie)

No fewer than THREE people messaged us to ask if that was our way of announcing a pregnancy!  :o I mean, really? Just because it has the word "baby" in it does not mean we've decided to go the subliminal message route for communicating our reproductive status.

In the UK, at least, getting 'knocked up' means getting pregnant. I might have made the same 'translation' as your three FB friends.

It was pretty funny later, after we got over the initial "WHAT?! Nooooooooo!" We decided that if we ever do announce a pregnancy, those people are getting that same quote as a text message. We have also, on occasion, referred to taking a preg test as my "watching Major League upstairs."
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
I've never wanted children and everybody knows this.  One April Fool's I announced on Facebook that my husband and I had decided to give away our cats & dog and have a baby instead.  Only ONE person fell for it - my mother!  The one person who knows me better than anybody!  Apparently she only lasted a few seconds until she said to my stepdad "Wait a minute...what's the date today?"  But still.  I was appalled. 

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
I once posted a lyric from a Britney Spears song and attributed it to the Dalai Lama.  It got dozens of likes before one friend who knows me very well commented, "You guys....it's Britney, Female Dog!"  (Like the opening to Gimme More). 

The lyric was:  "There's only two types of people in the world: the ones who entertain, and the ones who observe."

Allyson

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 02:51:14 AM »
I'm a fan of;

"The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always determine their accuracy. --Abraham Lincoln." Or other such silliness.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »
So funny!
Those late updates always amuse me.

he congratulated us.  'For what?' we asked.  Nephew and girlfriend are engaged.

This sort of thing always bemuses me--why do we congratulate parents, grandparents, uncles, etc., on someone *else's* engagement? It always strikes me as a bit weird.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
A family friend just moved out on his own with his girlfriend. He posted a picture of her on facebook, holding a stuffed animal in a hospital bed and it said "It's a girl". I just kept going, and didn't comment or send him a message.

The message was taken down about 10 minutes later and I am not sure what was meant by the post. Not my business either.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 03:02:12 PM »
My sister threatened to disown me over this one ...

I went down to the farm/wildlife refuge to get the pictures from the camera. I'm walking down to the cameras on the path. I hear a hiss and jump backwards several feet into the tall grass. I look at the path and there is this big old cottonmouth reared up showing its mouth.

I'm standing in the high grass. The only place cleared is in front of me guarded by a cottonmouth. To either side and behind me is tall grass. I'm trapped. I take a picture of the snake so people will believe me. Finally the cotton mouth has had enough of me and slithers off. I go get the memory cards and do the uploading in the barn.

I post the picture and a warning to other family members on facebook without thinking about the date April 2nd.

My sister posts a reply that if this is a late April Fools joke she is never speaking to me again. If it is real she is never going to the farm again.

(When my sister was small she stepped on a rattler close to the head. Thankfully an older cousin was there, saw and stepped on her foot and right behind the ratttler's head. They had to stand there to older cousin's grandfather killed the snake. Sis has a bit of a phobia.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »
So funny!
Those late updates always amuse me.

he congratulated us.  'For what?' we asked.  Nephew and girlfriend are engaged.

This sort of thing always bemuses me--why do we congratulate parents, grandparents, uncles, etc., on someone *else's* engagement? It always strikes me as a bit weird.

I understood that you should congratulate the groom but never the bride because it implied that she had actually done something clever or worthy of congratulation, whereas we all know that a proper lady doesn't act to catch her man, she hangs about and if it happens, all well and good. So you wish her happy and you tell him he's done something smart. Yeah, that totally makes sense. Not.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 04:58:43 PM »
This is a timely thread for our family.

Nephew has been married for about 18 months and he and wife have made it known they do not plan to wait long to start a family.

My sister's and I are all FB friends with nephew and I'm FB friends with him and his wife. 

Last weekend our nephew "Liked" a post someone made to his wife's wall. "Congrats! So excited for you. Let me know the due date."

My other sister's start calling asking "did you know they are pregnant?!!!!"

Because I'm also friends with niece in law I knew the post was in response to her announcing a major work related promotion that has a competition attached to it. Hated busting their bubble but was glad they called me before calling nephew's mom.