Author Topic: Porta potty, motorhome toilets for campers  (Read 404 times)

Luci45

• Super Hero!
Porta potty, motorhome toilets for campers
« on: Yesterday at 07:37:16 PM »
This is not cozy!

We have been camping for 38 years in trailers and our motorhome. We have used just about every product on the market for the toilet - blue, green, liquid, powder, pods - and are not really happy with any of them. (As a side note: once we were at a drain, dumped a bunch of Oxyclean in the tank, used a hose with a strong steam to fill the thing until suds came out the vent. It  was fun, but not a long term solution.)

We only use the toilet for liquids. No paper, no feces, except in a couple of emergencies. It still manages to get unpleasant.

I have been searching on the 'net and read that liquid bleach might be used in our situation in a 1 to 8 solution with water.
Has anyone tried this? I am tempted to use a stronger solution. Please don't recommend any commercial products. As I said, been there, tried that, didn't work well enough. Can anyone recommend another simple chemical to help? Ammonia instead of bleach? Lots of vinegar? Baking soda didn't work.

Thank you much, and Happy Camping!

HorseFreak

Re: Porta potty, motorhome toilets for campers
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 07:45:13 PM »
Urine is full of ammonia so be VERY careful that you don't gas yourselves if you add bleach to it.

Besides that I have nothing, sorry :(

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:49:03 PM »
Urine is full of ammonia so be VERY careful that you don't gas yourselves if you add bleach to it.

Good point. Thanks. Thought about that months ago, but forgot. Duh....

Bobbie

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:24:43 PM »
Have you tried Hydroxi Pro?  You can get it at most janitorial supply stores.  It kills germs that cause the odors and sanitizes.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:32:56 AM »
What is your tank made out of?
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:06:11 AM »

My thought exactly. That scares me.
The only solution I can think of is to camp in parks where they have facilities.  Seriously. 
« Last Edit: Today at 03:09:02 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:51:58 AM »
What is your tank made out of?

It's a 2000 model, so I don't know.

The only solution I can think of is to camp in parks where they have facilities.  Seriously. 

We always do, but on the road, at dicey gas stations, and in the middle of the night we need it. There are bears in the Catskills (New York) and skunks everywhere - I'm not going out at night! Except by the campfire, of course.

Have you tried Hydroxi Pro?  You can get it at most janitorial supply stores.  It kills germs that cause the odors and sanitizes.

I'll check at Tractor Supply. I don't know of any janitorial supply stores except one 60 miles from here. We'll keep an eye out when traveling - I have an iPhone, so that should help the search.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:29:53 AM »
Baking soda sounds too easy, what about Lime?

That is what we used to use - 20 years ago.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:06:25 AM »
Could there be a bad seal or a leak somewhere? I really don't know much about it. My boyfriend's parents have a fifth wheel and they don't have that problem. They live in it full time for part of the year so it gets used quite a bit.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #9 on: Today at 10:30:01 AM »
I will be watching this thread with interest, because we have a similar problem.  We have a camper permanently installed at a park by the lake, and in my opinion (Mr_Deb says he doesn't notice) the bathroom just ... smells.

I clean regularly, and use the blue stuff you get at Wal*Mart - I think it's called Camper Chem or something similar.  I still think the bathroom smells.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:53:45 AM »
Not a help for cleaning, but what about a battery operated scent spray set at timed intervals, and motion detected?  Would not want lit candles in a vehicle, and plug-in outlet might not be in the bathroom, but the odor could be covered. 
My teacher workroom restroom has a bottle of air freshener when ...needed.

Ask other campers the next camping trip- weird conversation, but they would understand!~!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:56:45 AM »
Not a help for cleaning, but what about a battery operated scent spray set at timed intervals, and motion detected?  Would not want lit candles in a vehicle, and plug-in outlet might not be in the bathroom, but the odor could be covered. 
My teacher workroom restroom has a bottle of air freshener when ...needed.

Ask other campers the next camping trip- weird conversation, but they would understand!~!

Lucas has asthma. We do use the Yankee Candle car fresheners just because I like the fresh linen scent.  :)

The odor is not in the bathroom. I comes out the roof vent to the tank itself. I clean the bathroom daily, so it never has an odor.

Thanks for the suggestions. They are helping me think.

I will be watching this thread with interest, because we have a similar problem.  We have a camper permanently installed at a park by the lake, and in my opinion (Mr_Deb says he doesn't notice) the bathroom just ... smells.

I clean regularly, and use the blue stuff you get at Wal*Mart - I think it's called Camper Chem or something similar.  I still think the bathroom smells.

We had a park model camper for 21 years but it was connected to the sewer so we just used as much water as possible and never had a problem. Have you tried Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet Cleaning Gel? I think I had everyone on our cul-de-sac at the campground using it! It didn't seem to react with the other chemicals.