News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 27, 2015, 01:32:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PEANUTS in CUMIN - FDA EMERGENCY ALERT  (Read 834 times)

JoW

PEANUTS in CUMIN - FDA EMERGENCY ALERT
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:11:59 AM »
I know there is a regular poster here at e-hell who is deathly allergic to peanuts but I don't remember her name. 

I'm listening to the national news on TV and just heard about an alert issued by the US Food and Drug Administration.  Several recently-imported shipments of cumin have tested positive for peanuts, 
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-issues-warning-about-cumin-spice-hundreds-of-products-recalled/

Please, anyone who knows that poster's name please pass this information along to her. She need to avoid cumin until the FDA says otherwise. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: PEANUTS in CUMIN - FDA EMERGENCY ALERT
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »
kherbert is her name, though I know she isn't the only one so this is good information for everyone!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

MyFamily

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »
I'm a food allergy mom, and the moderator of a group for mom's of kids with food allergies - we don't have a peanut allergy, but because of how many members of the group this affects, I have been following this very closely.

While this is becoming news to the general public, the food allergy community has been aware of this since December (at least, maybe earlier).  I know the members of my group all follow food recalls closely, and kherbert probably follows these as well.  It isn't hard (the FDA will email them out to anyone who signs up for their free list).

Not all cumin is affected.  One member of my group contacted McCormick's and they use a different source for their cumin.  Yes, people should be careful of foods containing cumin if they don't know the source of the cumin, but a complete avoidance is not necessary.  Just be smart about it.

For anyone who deals with food allergies, this is our nightmare coming true.  Something that should in theory be safe has become contaminated, and it has been used in products all over the country.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

GratefulMaria

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
I'm a food allergy mom, and the moderator of a group for mom's of kids with food allergies - we don't have a peanut allergy, but because of how many members of the group this affects, I have been following this very closely.

While this is becoming news to the general public, the food allergy community has been aware of this since December (at least, maybe earlier).  I know the members of my group all follow food recalls closely, and kherbert probably follows these as well.  It isn't hard (the FDA will email them out to anyone who signs up for their free list).

Not all cumin is affected.  One member of my group contacted McCormick's and they use a different source for their cumin.  Yes, people should be careful of foods containing cumin if they don't know the source of the cumin, but a complete avoidance is not necessary.  Just be smart about it.

For anyone who deals with food allergies, this is our nightmare coming true.  Something that should in theory be safe has become contaminated, and it has been used in products all over the country.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the end.

Do you mind telling what group?  PM if you'd rather not post?