Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 249209 times)

poundcake

Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #2415 on: October 30, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »
Romance novel names tend to go in waves--I'm pretty sure that nearly every popular romance novel author has had a heroine named "Olivia" in the past 5 to 10 years! Also sometimes funny coincidences happen..I read 3 back to back books with heroes named Mark or Marcus, not names you'd expect to be used all that often. And I remember complaining about the excessive number of characters named Chloe in young adult fiction.

I think that the "Blayze Raven Sky" in historical trend was more of a 1980s thing, I don't see it so much today.

Also for some reason nearly every character named Fiona is a redhead. What's up with that?

Heck, I feel like every heroine I've read lately is a redhead!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2416 on: October 30, 2014, 09:23:42 AM »
I think, to me, that that's part of it.  If the name needs to be odd for a *reason*, and there's an explanation for it, then I have less of a problem with it.  Same with naming systems in general.  If there are two characters named Emily in the book, and it's a big deal because they're always getting the wrong papers graded at school, or one Emily pretends to be the other, or the "lesser" Emily is taunted by the socially greater Emily, etc., then I don't object to it.

Yes, if there's a good reason I don't mind. It's when everyone is Jasmine and Diamond and Rock and Colt because the author thinks those are sexy names it gets on my nerves, especially in historical romances.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #2417 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »
I have a friend whose hobby is folk singing, and she 'collects' old authentic folk songs.  Before singing to me a lovely Scots ballad (Lizzie Lindsey), she had to warn me so that I wouldn't laugh when her suitor reveals his name to be Laird Ronald MacDonald.  Now there's a name which has acquired quite a different connotation!
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2418 on: October 30, 2014, 11:07:13 AM »
I have a friend whose hobby is folk singing, and she 'collects' old authentic folk songs.  Before singing to me a lovely Scots ballad (Lizzie Lindsey), she had to warn me so that I wouldn't laugh when her suitor reveals his name to be Laird Ronald MacDonald.  Now there's a name which has acquired quite a different connotation!

I can't stop laughing just reading your post.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2419 on: October 30, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »

I can't stop laughing just reading your post.

But was the laird a red head?  That is the question!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?