News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 30, 2016, 01:52:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Synesthesia and stuff like that  (Read 2293 times)

Bijou

Re: Synesthesia and stuff like that
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 01:22:10 AM »
Me too! The calendar year is definitely an oval, with July at the top and January at the bottom. The week is also a line, with a little wrap-around loop for the weekend. I think that one comes from seeing a month as a standard calendar month.

For me, it's numbers and colors. Each number has a distinct color
1 - white
2 - yellow
3 - green
4 - purplish-red
5 - red
6 - blue
7 - purple
8 - orange
9 - brown or black
0 - clear
Is it the sound of the number or the appearance of it on a page?  I can't look at a number or word without saying it in my head.  I wonder if you are associating the sound of the number with color.  I don't have to say the sound out loud to get the color.  For me, it's just there with the sound, spoken aloud or just thought about.  Have you gone through the alphabet to see if you get colors with sound of the letter?  That might be interesting.

The appearance on a page - it's my little taste of synesthesia. I just see the number and it's in that color. If the "wrong" color is used, it doesn't bother me. I don't really have anything else, other than seeing time in a line or shape.
It takes lots of different forms I guess, having to do with your senses.  I would never want to lose it.  I love having this little enchanting, mysterious facet in my life.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

suekel

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »
I have what I believe to be a form of synesthesia that relates to time.  I "see" time in my mind in unusual ways.  The most pronounced is a year, which is oval shaped.  So if I were to think about an event coming up in a few months, I would "see" myself in the place in the oval where the current month lies, and I would "see" the event in it's spot, and the time to wait would be the space in between.  It's very hard to explain.  If I think about Christmas, I envision it in a particular spot on the oval, and those places on the oval never change. 

A week is a little simpler, I see those as a line with Monday at one end and Sunday at the other.

Curious, how do most people "see" or picture a year?

I've always done it this way: the year is shaped like a capital letter D, with January at the top, July at the fattest part and December at the bottom of the curve. At midnight on December 31, time whooshes upwards to the top of the D and we start all over again with January 1.
Weird?

This is probably closest to mine, except that the line of the D is not there, it's the other end of an oval.  So New Year's Eve is at the far left of the oval, at the narrowest point.  July/August  is the same point on the righty side.   My oval is horizontal.   

I'm just so glad to know other people do this, every time I've tried to explain it to family members they act like I am nuts.

Twik

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2016, 03:44:24 PM »
I don't have any mental image like this at all. Maybe that's why I'm so bad at remembering dates?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

JoieGirl7

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 07:52:55 PM »
I have what I believe to be a form of synesthesia that relates to time.  I "see" time in my mind in unusual ways.  The most pronounced is a year, which is oval shaped.  So if I were to think about an event coming up in a few months, I would "see" myself in the place in the oval where the current month lies, and I would "see" the event in it's spot, and the time to wait would be the space in between.  It's very hard to explain.  If I think about Christmas, I envision it in a particular spot on the oval, and those places on the oval never change. 

A week is a little simpler, I see those as a line with Monday at one end and Sunday at the other.

Curious, how do most people "see" or picture a year?

I've always done it this way: the year is shaped like a capital letter D, with January at the top, July at the fattest part and December at the bottom of the curve. At midnight on December 31, time whooshes upwards to the top of the D and we start all over again with January 1.
Weird?

This is probably closest to mine, except that the line of the D is not there, it's the other end of an oval.  So New Year's Eve is at the far left of the oval, at the narrowest point.  July/August  is the same point on the righty side.   My oval is horizontal.   

I'm just so glad to know other people do this, every time I've tried to explain it to family members they act like I am nuts.

I think it does mean we're nuts!  It's a cool, interesting nuts though, not a "can't function" nuts.  It's more a feature than a bug!

My oval has points at the narrowest points and includes 2 years.  So new year eve is on each of those 2 points.  I was always good at remembering what happened in what year because I could "see" which half of the oval it happened on and one would be an odd year and one an even year.

MrTango

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
Sometimes I'll experience synesthesia (where I experience sounds as patterns of light and color).  It only happens when I'm totally focused on the sounds, and then only when the sounds evoke strong emotions.

The last time it happened was a few years ago at a performance of Laurdsen's "O Mangum Mysterium"

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »
Late to the party, but I am a synaesthete myself.  Words have a taste (some more than others) and sounds have colour, as do letters.

ETA Names in particular seem to have a flavour.  I seldom say my own name because ew.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Elisabunny

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
Late to the party, but I am a synaesthete myself.  Words have a taste (some more than others) and sounds have colour, as do letters.

ETA Names in particular seem to have a flavour.  I seldom say my own name because ew.

That's so sad!  :'(  I wish you had a tastier name.

I don't have any form of synesthesia.  I'm very jealous of you all!
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...