News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 04, 2015, 05:42:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fitness Trackers...Tell me why you love/hate yours  (Read 3430 times)

Benni

Re: Fitness Trackers...Tell me why you love/hate yours
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2015, 04:50:02 PM »
DH ended up surprising me with the Garmin Vivosmart which is fancier than I had been planning to get. So far it is doing a good job of motivating me to get up out of my chair during the day. It has also made it painfully obvious exactly how sedentary I've become.  :-\

I love that its waterproof and gives me notifications of  incoming phone calls and texts. It would do emails as well if I wanted but that seems a bit much. It also has a feature to locate your phone if you can't find where you put it down. You hit a spot in the menu on the band and it makes your phone chime, flash lights....even if you have it set on "silent".

I'm glad to hear this as I just gave my SIL one for Christmas (yes last Christmas and he received two weeks ago, there is a long backstory.) 

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »
I just found out on the Fitbit site that you can track it if you lose it-

Use a Bluetooth locator app. For iOS you can try LightBlue - Bluetooth Low Energy (http://goo.gl/bAB5ST). For Android you can try Bluetooth Finder (http://goo.gl/CLyxgf)

I've used the BTLExplorer app to find mine ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:33:43 PM by Harriet Jones »

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2015, 08:38:39 AM »
I have a Fitbit Charge and I have had it for about 6 weeks. I've found that its really good in terms of motivating me to do more exercise and the app that tracks food as against your calorie burn etc has really helped me to make better choices about food (both in terms of what I'm eating and how much of it I should be having). I have lost a stone (14lbs) since I have had it so something is working! It's comfortable to wear and seems to be relatively accurate in terms of tracking steps. It doesn't track other forms of exercise so well - for example I bike - but there is an ability to log other exercise manually in the app. I have been charging it up once a week or so and that seems to be fine. It emails you when its getting really low (plus you can see the amount of battery life left in the app).

Downsides however for me are:

(1) The food lists on the app are very eating out focused (rather than having home cooked food as I tend to) and US centric, so not that applicable to me as I am in the UK. However, I understand that the my fitness pal app is better and can also be linked to the Fitbit Charge (though I haven't tried this).

(2) I have an intermittent glitch with the app (which I have reported to Fitbit and they are looking into) in that sometimes food logs are deleted randomly, which if I don't catch it, could catch me out in terms of how many calories I have left, and I could go over what I am supposed to, and also that its maths goes a bit crazy on adding up the calories for previous days (even though they were fine when I logged them) - I have allegedly eaten 68,000 calories in a day according to the app sometimes!

(3) It's not waterproof so you have to remember to take it off and put it back on again when showering etc.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
I just bought a Garmin Vivofit refurbished for $40.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2015, 09:27:56 AM »
It tracks my sleep and I was able to sync it with the app today and that was great. I am very happy I was able to wear it over night. I found some cute bands to get for it, more me than just plain purple.

I will buy DH the vivosmart.

CatOwned

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
I recently bought the Garmin Vivofit2. I'm really enjoying it even though I've taken to calling it the "wrist nag." It makes a sound when it is time for you to get up and move. It isn't a loud sound and sometimes I don't hear it (depends on the noise level around me). I really need the active reminders and it is also water resistant so I can wear it in the pool. The sleep tracking isn't as good as the Misfit but that is the only area in which the Misfit excelled. In everything else I felt the Misfit Flash was a waste of money. I also like the fact that it can't let me know about incoming texts, calls, messages, and what have you. It is enough that it nags me about moving, I don't need it to nag me about everything else.
Oh, and it also doesn't start out expecting you to do 10,000 steps. It sets daily goals for you and increases when you hit them consistantly. I like that it doesn't make me feel like a fitness failure...