News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 11, 2016, 06:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beginner gaming suggestions  (Read 1160 times)

Melde

Re: Beginner gaming suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 01:29:41 AM »
Some of my favorite series include Mystery Case Files (although they are getting  horror tinged), Mystery Trackers (not so intense.) For Time Management, I love the Delicious series. It has really grown over the years.

Firecat

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 12:39:18 PM »
Thirding "Dragon Age: Origins." Compelling storyline, including love stories, and you can replay it with different character origins, classes, and choices. Be warned, though - the Dragon Age franchise has actually made me cry.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
Yeah they should sell Dragon Age: Origins with a couple of boxes of Kleenex.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 07:13:53 PM »
It also has some rather nice looking guys. Alistair, Zevran, Anders....

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 11:37:51 PM »
Dragon Age is what finally got me to start seeking out the wonderful world of fanfiction.

Just sayin'  :P

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 02:15:59 AM »
Definitely the Nancy Drew games; you can buy the cds/dvds right from herinteractive.com. You have to think to play them.

I also like Mystery Case Files and Zoo Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon 2.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 03:19:28 AM by iridaceae »
Nothing to see here.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 05:11:27 PM »
Pop Cap makes a ton of easy, fun games.  mostly puzzle/strategy/tower defense type games.  Zuma's Revenge, Peggle Nights and Plants vs Zombies (the original Game of the Year version) are my personal favourites.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 09:23:57 PM »
Thank you all! My local library, I found out, has some games for check out! Will look at their titles with your lists in hand. You are some of the stuff that I am thankful for this Thanksgiving.

faithlessone

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 12:43:48 AM »
Several people have mentioned Dragon Age, so I'd like to put in a suggestion for Bioware's (the company that makes DA) other major title - Mass Effect. It's a sci-fi adventure game, set on the most fantastic spaceship (the SSV Normandy), where you can battle evil alien robots, explore dozens of planets and space stations and romance a selection of humans and aliens. And there's a full trilogy, with a new spinoff game coming out next year.

I am a total beginner at gaming too, but I picked up the first one quite quickly. :D

(Although, yes, standard warning that any Bioware game will make you cry and possibly ruin your life for the better.)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Twik

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 11:20:08 AM »
If you have Steam, or a WII, a wonderful game is Phantom Brave. It's easy to play, but with a lot of depth, and the story is heart-warming. I like games where, no matter how bad you are, you can grind yourself up to a point where you can win rather than being stuck forever at one point. Phantom Brave allows this, and the grinding is pretty fun as well, since it's give you randomly-generated dungeons rather than the same one over and over.

If you like something with a little more dark humour, the same company makes the Disgaea series, which is about the funniest series I've ever played. Prinnies for the win!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »
Black Friday is "massive sale" day on Steam, so I highly recommend you poke around today if you're going to  ;D http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Hanako%20Games for my favorites - The Royal Trap, Date Warp, and Sword Daughter are more visual novels than games, but all of Hanako's titles are consistently really, really good!