News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here:   

• November 27, 2015, 04:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Job Hunting Etiquette  (Read 589 times)

Devils Advocate

Job Hunting Etiquette
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:26:39 AM »
 I have two small questions: 

1.  I  interviewed for a job about two weeks ago and have not heard back.  Prior to the in-person interview I communicated with the hiring manager (who was also the person who interviewed me) several times over the phone and by email.  After the in-person interview, I did send a thank-you email the following day.  So my question is, should I follow-up?  And if so when should I follow-up?

2.  My second question revolves around a  second job to which I am applying.  At this job is the spouse of a professor who taught me at school.  The professor will remember me (its been 3-4 years but I was a top student in his class).  Should I reach out to him to put in a good word for me?  And if so, could you suggest any wording?

Thank you!

Re: Job Hunting Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:38 PM »
I would say, No, No.

For the first one, at my job we are not impressed with people contacting us unless we have called them.  You got an interview, now wait for either a rejection or a job offer.  (Except for an interview thank-you letter.)

For the second one, it would put your old professor in an awkward spot and how you did in a class isn't really an indication of how you will do at a job.  Plus, I imagine the professor's spouse would be VERY taken aback if he were to, out of the blue, start talking about an applicant for a position at her job.  That would just be...weird.  At my job, recruitment is pretty confidential so we are expected to not blab about applicants.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:27:20 PM »
I also vote no and no. Ask A Manager will tell you that once you've sent your interview thank you note, put it out of your mind. They might get back to you, they might not, but for your sanity, just move on and keep applying elsewhere.

I think the second one would just put your former professor in an awkward spot. Best avoid those.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 04:30:47 PM »
Double posted. Link to other thread

OP and everyone else--please do not double post. It's annoying.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.