Author Topic: Thread-Killing  (Read 84057 times)

Saro

Re: Thread-Killing
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2011, 11:22:43 PM »
I often feel like I'm a thread killer. Also, that people must skim over my posts, because they're almost never quoted. However, I don't post very much for the amount of time I spend on E-Hell.

I feel this way too, though like you I rarely post and I feel that I never really post anything worth the effort of replying to. I mostly goof off here, it feels. :P *shrug* I get a little thrill when I am, actually.

And do tell, Eisa. What languages?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2011, 11:24:59 PM »

I've had comprehension problems before that I think were due to someone having English as a second/third/what have you language, but I don't really say anything because English is confusing as all get out, and I think everyone on here who doesn't have it as a first language speaks it better than many [not necessarily on here :P ] that do. ;D

That reminds me, too, I found out the other day that my Linguistics prof speaks 27 languages! :o And I don't mean just a few words and that's it...he's at least understandable if not fluent in them, I believe. Wow.

As one whose brain is totally filled with a bunch of American English, and 3 words each of German, Spanish, musical Italian, and French. I am overwhelmed. Thank you for understanding. Please go back to read the edit of my post and see what you think about it. Thanks.

KimberlyRose

« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2011, 11:33:16 PM »
That reminds me, too, I found out the other day that my Linguistics prof speaks 27 languages! :o And I don't mean just a few words and that's it...he's at least understandable if not fluent in them, I believe. Wow.

Okay, I'm impressed.  I haven't had a whole lot of success with languages, so people who are multilingual really impress me.

(My friend and her husband are raising their kids multilingual--she speaks to them in Chinese, he speaks Danish, and they learn English from other adults, friends, and school.  It's pretty impressive to watch the older one switch from one language to another without even pausing to think about it.)

(Edited because apparently English grammar escapes me.  *sigh*)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2011, 11:34:27 PM »

PS. Does anyone ever feel really, really good when you run your post through Spell Check and get no suggestions except for our names?

No, you aren't the only one who does that either. I get a little *go me!* whenever I get a typo-free post out. And then I post and realize I missed one. :P

But usually the errors are typos like 'then' instead of 'than' and 3 times proofreading doesn't find them.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »
ginlyn, that happens to me, too.

(this was going to be a very clever post restating exactly what you'd said and completely ignoring your post, but I realized there wasn't a really good way to make it clear it was a joke)

well I'm glad I'm not alone..

ginlyn

You threatened to leave! Please don't! We need you.

As for saying something and then someone else saying the same thing later and getting praised, I think it depends on who is online and how quickly they are skimming to catch up. I have decided to not be hurt but do a "na-na-na-na---I beat you and I am right!' dance and feel kind of vindicated and feeling sad that the later poster hadn't read so well, but understanding. Just like when someone misses one line in an OP and suggests something that the poster has already mentioned is not an option.

The worst thing I have done was when there was an issue and I had a response in about a 7 word sentence - very insightful and concise, of course. I had read the entire thread beforehand and didn't quite understand the sentence structure of a post; then after I posted, I realized that I had said exactly the same thing only in traditional clear English and the other poster was probably just beginning to use English.

I felt so awful, but didn't know how to make it better. I should PM and say, "Keep trying, honey. You'll figure it out."?  How condescending, even without the 'honey'. An apology wouldn't work because I would still sound condescending. I let it lay. I don't know if she ever came back again. I looked for a bit, but didn't see her again.

No derailing intended here, mascot searchers or Lynn2000.

PS. Does anyone ever feel really, really good when you run your post through Spell Check and get no suggestions except for our names?

Edited:After telling the story, I realize what I should have done, I think. I should have gone back, edited my post with an simple, "Oops! Sorry, [poster], I didn't mean to tromp on your post."

That happens to me a lot. Sometimes, I've taken the time to compose a post and then realize I've just said the same thing another poster has. I'll generally try to add an ETA: I see I've just podded X, lol.

Some times, great minds do think alike ;D

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »
Hmm...I'm not sure about all of them. I know he speaks English, Spanish, Shoshone, I think some Navajo but not sure, Hungarian, Arabic, some Slavic languages, some Japanese, possibly Nala, Latin I think, just...an overwhelming amount. I have immense respect. :D I can only fluently speak English, and can sometimes make myself understood in French. :D [And also know only a few words of Spanish, German, ASL, and Korean.]

I also frequently discover I really simply POD another person.

Which makes me think of pod people.

Please tell me I'm not the only one...
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

think2x

« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
And I thougt I was the forum thread killer.

sometimes I feel like I am standing alone in an empty room, yelling HELLLLLLOOOOO????? I feel like my posts are invisible. I'll say something that gets ignored and some one else 2 pages later says the same.thing and everyones like "THAT"S THE GREATEST IDEA EVAH!!". I just want to go "I thought of it first!" but instead I just slink of and sing "no body likes me...everybody hates me...I think I'll eat some worms"

tell me someone else feels like that too...

ginlyn

lol, ginlyn- you just did it to me! (Post 27).

Kath68

« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2011, 12:04:05 AM »
Look at it like a compliment. Your posts are so insightful and sum up the situation so concisely, that to add anything more would just subtract from the dazzling perfection of your ideas.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2011, 12:13:07 AM »
Some times, great minds do think alike ;D

Sometimes I think that you must be the smartest person in the universe, especially when you agree with me.

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2011, 01:01:45 AM »
Funny. I thought I was the only one because of my shaky grasp of the English language.  :D

Waltraud

Honestly, sometimes I forget which of you don't speak English as your native language.  I am on a local board, which is in an English-speaking country, and some of you speak sooooooo much better than them that I forget it's not your first language.  Much respect!

I mostly feel like my posts are ignored; probably because I said something so stupid or obvious or incredibly boring that everyone is still shaking their heads, or I am just agreeing with someone else.  I am very funny in real life, (honest  ;D) but tone really donesn't ranslate well on the internet so I self-edit so much that it occasionally no longer makes sense!  OTOH, when someone POD's my post, I do a little jiggle-dance in my chair!  Self-esteem, where aaaaaaare you?  :P

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

KimberlyRose

« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2011, 01:01:56 AM »
And I thougt I was the forum thread killer.

sometimes I feel like I am standing alone in an empty room, yelling HELLLLLLOOOOO????? I feel like my posts are invisible. I'll say something that gets ignored and some one else 2 pages later says the same.thing and everyones like "THAT"S THE GREATEST IDEA EVAH!!". I just want to go "I thought of it first!" but instead I just slink of and sing "no body likes me...everybody hates me...I think I'll eat some worms"

tell me someone else feels like that too...

ginlyn

lol, ginlyn- you just did it to me! (Post 27).

Doh!  I just did the same thing--I read yours earlier today, thought about commenting, and by the time I got to the end of the thread, it'd completely slipped my mind.  Guess now I have a little more insight into how that happens!

katiescarlett

« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2011, 01:10:16 AM »
What's worse is when you start a thread and almost no one responds.  Especially if it's in "I Need A Hug."

I totally agree!  I am an infrequent poster, and sometimes I feel like ya'll are probably thinking "Katiescarlett?  Who's that?  Does anyone here know a katiescarlett?" ;D

Is it sad that I find it so exciting when someone quotes me in a post?

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2011, 01:31:38 AM »
A lot of times I am afraid to post because so many of you are so much more articulate and knowledgeable than I am that I will sound stupid.

There has been one subject that what I said was totally misunderstood and I got so slammed for that it scared me into silence for a long time. I tried to defend myself, and somehow it didn't work. The misunderstanding got deeper and deeper even long after I bowed out . It even got kind of amusing, even though I was still  hurt. Don't know why I kept lurking.

(WooHoo! another perfect Spell Check - hope the words are right.............)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2011, 02:18:27 AM »

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2011, 04:52:58 AM »
I am posting this just to prove a point.

Sorry, I think I just killed the thread! ;D
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.