Author Topic: Thread-Killing  (Read 87350 times)

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
Re: Thread-Killing
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
What's worse is when you start a thread and almost no one responds.  Especially if it's in "I Need A Hug."

I totally agree!  I am an infrequent poster, and sometimes I feel like ya'll are probably thinking "Katiescarlett?  Who's that?  Does anyone here know a katiescarlett?" ;D

Is it sad that I find it so exciting when someone quotes me in a post?
Nope...i get excited too!

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

bigozzy

« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »
It's not dead, it just smells that way!

With a thread with so many terrible lines, how can it die?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2011, 10:46:36 AM »
CRUD MONKEYS! This is my most successful thread EVER.

It also happens that right after I started it, I was completely off EHell for a couple days.

Coincidence? I think not.  :P Clearly, the very act of me viewing a thread inhibits it from growing.

Although, I think it shouldn't count as thread-killing if you STARTED the thread. So I won't feel bad if no one posts after this one. Sometimes when a thread I've started quiets down, I like to go back and post one final message thanking everyone for their advice, and that to me feels more like a "bookend" than a kill.

Anyway... I'm glad to know I'm not alone in the thread-killing department! Please feel free to derail into kittens (well, not literally) or whatever else you'd like, now that we've been moved to the Coffee Break folder.

I also sometimes feel like I occasionally post original advice (as opposed to just PODding) and no one seems to notice it, and then a couple pages later someone else posts a similar idea and everyone praises it. But, that doesn't bother me too much, because I would be uncomfortable with too much attention... sometimes in heated threads you see a post held up as a great idea, and then the tide turns and people start picking it apart, and I wouldn't like that much. I always just hope that the OP (and others) are reading all the responses and thinking about mine even if they don't say anything, because I like being able to offer help to people who've asked for it. Also I'm NOT very concise (no, really?) and usually the "repeated" advice that everyone notices is written by someone in a much more succinct and straightforward manner.

And, I don't feel bad PODding (though I usually reiterate with another sentence or two as opposed to just saying "POD!"). I figure it lets people know that other people agree with the poster's ideas, that it's not just the opinion of ONE person, and that can be important when you're trying to gauge how "people in general" think about something. In my mind it's kind of like a "like" button for a post. Also, if someone expresses basically what I was thinking as I read the thread, I like to give them some feedback and let them know that.
~Lynn2000

think2x

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2011, 10:51:16 AM »

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
I totaly wish we had a 'like' button.

As for 'most successful thread', I don't think I've ever started one that went for more than 3 pages. I'd like to think 'well, I don't make a big deal about every little thing', but what I suspect is, my problems just aren't that interesting :D

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
I totaly wish we had a 'like' button.

As for 'most successful thread', I don't think I've ever started one that went for more than 3 pages. I'd like to think 'well, I don't make a big deal about every little thing', but what I suspect is, my problems just aren't that interesting :D

I think I actually said that in my first thread! I don't think it even cleared a page and I was like, "Thanks for your advice everyone, next time I'll try to make my question more interesting!" LOL.
~Lynn2000

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »
Confession time - I always think my opinion was so poorly worded, or just plain BORING, that it's ignorned. In the very beginning, I thought threads I had posted in were blocked or deleted because I didn't have my settings set correctly.  :-[

I was really thrilled when a poster I respect alot thanked me for posting her thoughts and saved her the trouble of typing. I was so excited that I actually told Hastings about it. He laughed at me.  ;D  :-[

And now the thread is dead..................someone call the code.
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »
Confession time - I always think my opinion was so poorly worded, or just plain BORING, that it's ignorned. In the very beginning, I thought threads I had posted in were blocked or deleted because I didn't have my settings set correctly.  :-[

I was really thrilled when a poster I respect alot thanked me for posting her thoughts and saved her the trouble of typing. I was so excited that I actually told Hastings about it. He laughed at me.  ;D  :-[

And now the thread is dead..................someone call the code.

But wouldn't that revive it?  ;D
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »
(readies defibrillator) CLEAR!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
Don't worry, I promise I will come back and post last if it's been quiet for a few days! Although, I'm not sure if "posting last" is really the same as "killing"... I always felt paranoid when my post seemed to generate utter silence for a while, even if someone else posted later, like the group needed time to regain their composure before resuming the conversation.

Though MY reality at least is, I never look at the time/date stamp on a post before replying. If it comes up as "new" to me I just assume it's an active conversation. Occasionally this has led to me giving heartfelt advice to someone whose original problem occurred in 2009.  ::)
~Lynn2000

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »

(wanders off to find some self esteem, I think I remember seeing a packet of it in the cupboard......)

It's in the box marked "Chocolate".

tnpenguinbaby

« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »

(wanders off to find some self esteem, I think I remember seeing a packet of it in the cupboard......)

It's in the box marked "Chocolate".

FOUND IT!  Thanks Luci  ;D

and now this thread has shed this mortal coil.
It is an ex-thread.

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
LIIIIIIIIIIVE! *resuscitates*

Oh, whoops.

Mmm, chocolate. :D

Dark chocolate, though. Milk chocolate is all right. White chocolate is disgusting. IMO anyways! ;D
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »
OK--this should do the trick--

"Bring out yer dead....bring out yer dead....." " But I'm not dead." "You will be in a moment." "No, I feel happy!"   ;D
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2011, 01:46:03 PM »
OK--this should do the trick--

"Bring out yer dead....bring out yer dead....." " But I'm not dead." "You will be in a moment." "No, I feel happy!"   ;D

"It's just a flesh wound!"