Author Topic: Awesome restaurant owner  (Read 1360 times)

Akarui Kibuno

Awesome restaurant owner
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »
As some E-Hellions may remember, my Dad is currently in the hospital. Has been for two weeks or so, and has at least ten days left. (We don't know what he has yet) Other background : We are from a small island near Madagascar (Reunion) , and we are lucky that out of all restaurants from this Reunion Island in Paris, the best one is... 5 minutes away from Plushie's place, if that (which makes it, also, 5 minutes walk from the hospital) .

Yesterday evening, after I left the hospital (I go everyday for at least three hours) , Plushie told me to wait at the light by the end of our street. I waited, and we tried our luck in NiceRestaurant (it's so small you usually have to book a reservation) and were lucky since some people changed their reservation, freeing up a table for us.

And then I thought... "Hey how about I ask if I can buy half a portion of this dish to go, to bring to Dad to cheer him up ?" (I do know that the chef, who probably is the owner, has offered people the option of bringing food home)

So we order our own food, eat, get completely stuffed (restaurant is a little bit pricey but everything is just like on the island and boyyyyy do you get your money's worth) , are very happy and ask for the bill. They haven't forgotten about Dad's portion, and are in fact arranging it for me so that I can bring it to him the following day for lunch.

Except... there is no charge for Dad's portion (at least worth 12 USD) . For us, this seriously was not a big deal (we are not rich, but we always adjust our orders to what we can spend) to pay for it, so we were a lil bit confused.

Turns out the restaurant owner does some charity work on the side by cooking for homeless people on certain days (which might actually be the reason why the restaurant is only open in the evening!) and also does delivery for the hospital! When I ordered I told the waiter why exactly I wanted half a portion, just to get it out of my chest, I guess (saying something like "That'll cheer him up for sure, it's been a while") . Turns out the meal was a gift to make a fellow "Réunionnais" feel better.

I almost got in tears on our way home. And the meal was a success, except I forgot to bring the hot sauces for today's lunch, so since Dad did not eat even half of the portion (and it was only half a regular portion, oh my) , I am bringing it back tomorrow, with the sauces.

This restaurant owner is a real gem. I already liked the restaurant because it feels like being on the Island, but now you can bet I'll return as often as I can!
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

EngineerChick

Re: Awesome restaurant owner
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »
That is a wonderful story, and the restaurant owner sounds like a great person!
Talk nerdy to me.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »
Fantastic!

Silversurfer

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:05:09 AM »
That is a great story. And i know you didnt ask for them, but Hugs!