Author Topic: Nice Funeral Attendees  (Read 1900 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Nice Funeral Attendees
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »
My dad just told me this story. He's a minister and recently officiated at the funeral of an elderly woman. Since she was a member of his church he refused the money which was offered to him for performing the funeral, as is his custom. When the family heard about this, they sent him a gift certificate instead... for $200!  :o And this is the part I think is so great... They wanted to make sure he would actually spend it, so they asked around and did some research (I think they're all out of area) and got a GC to the little home-run (i.e., not a chain) hobby shop that my mom loves! And put her name as well on the GC! It would have been the perfect gift for a good friend or relative to get my mom/parents, let alone total strangers (and for way more money than we usually spend on gifts for good friends and relatives). My parents and I all thought it was a really nice gesture.
~Lynn2000

CakeEater

Re: Nice Funeral Attendees
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:28:01 PM »
That's really lovely. How thoughtful!

katycoo

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:14:03 AM »
How kind.  They must have been pleased with the service he performed.  It can mean a lot.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:41:49 PM »
Ministers who can do a good job at funeral services are hard to find!  I'm glad the family was so thoughtful.

Years ago, an elderly friend of my Mom's passed away.  The minister was taking a day off but when she heard who had passed, she cancelled her day off.  She only knew friend from visiting with him in hospital but she came to the visitation and talked to those of us who knew him and wrote a lovely eulogy based on our reminiscences.  Mom invited the minister for dinner that evening after the service.  And we kept inviting her for meals, like at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter, even though she wasn't our minister.  She told us once that she really liked coming to our house because then she didn't have to worry about making the rounds of her parishioners and potentially offending someone because she hadn't had dinner at their house yet.  'And besides, you're a much better cook.'   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Silversurfer

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 02:08:12 AM »
Those are lovely stories outdoorgirl and lynn!  You can learn a lot about people by how they act when grieving.