Author Topic: LAGFAW Day parade  (Read 1142 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
LAGFAW Day parade
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:50:20 AM »
Now that Spring is on the way, it seemed a good time to introduce the possibility of a LAGFAW Day parade.  

I introduced it some years ago and it got some interesting feedback.  It might be time to try it again.

LAGFAW is an acronym for:

Let's
All
Go
For
A
Walk.

The idea is that this is a parade for people who don't normally get to take part in parades.

You might ask who would be watching the parade?  Spectators at a LAGFAW parade would be the people who normally participate.  The route will be lined with marching bands, beauty queens with their courts, ethnic dancers, boy scouts, girl scouts and members of police or fire departments.

Think of how it might be.

The crowd is expectant as a police car with siren sounding and lights flashing is dimly heard and seen coming up the avenue.  Behind the car is the mounted color guard.  This will be a great parade.

The color guard isn't composed of adults riding horses.  They're young children riding hobby-horses and carrying the sort of banners families fly outside their houses for holidays.

The first unit comes by and it's the Dog Walkers!  What a wonderful sight.

Leading the unit are six Neapolitan Mastiffs carrying baskets of fruit and flowers in their soft mouths.  Behind them dogs of every size, color and shape parade down the avenue.  Italian greyhounds are marching under Great Danes.  Little, fluffy dogs that much resemble earmuffs are cavorting around like a bunch of Tribbles.  The hounds are baying in chorus.  It's wonderful!

Next come the Nannies.  Their strollers are decorated with balloons, flags and  tinsel.  Their charges are asleep as the Nannies perform intricate drills.  The crowd goes wild!

Although the marching bands have been playing from the sidelines, it's time for a musical interlude.  Here comes the flatbed truck.  

The kid who plays the sitar by the ice cream shop on Saturday afternoons is riffing with the older Asian man who plays a Chinese instrument outside the book store.  

The guy who plays the trumpet outside the coffee bar and the accordion player who has a space outside the bank are starting to jam.  

There are two other musicians who just can't do it at home so they practice in the park.  The idea of a bagpipe and steel pan duet is strange but wonderful.  

This LAGFAW Parade can go on and on depending on what you want to see.   Let's hear suggestions for other units in a LAGFAW parade.                        

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:04:34 PM by Thipu1 »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: LAGFAW Day parade
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »
Instead of baton-tossing majorettes, you could have frisbee players from the park.

Or synchronised jogging groups, maybe?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »
A float with a looong double-sided canvas down the middle, and on either side, a bunch of local amateur artists working together to create a mural.  If you followed that float, you could see the painting progress from beginning to end :)

Or one with local writers taking turns to read out haikus (because you couldn't hear much longer selections in the time it took the float to pass.

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
A float with some of those older gentlemen playing chess or checkers - and their grandkids can be dressed up as the playing pieces for a live game.

pwv

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »
When I lived in the DC area years and years ago, a local radio station sponsored an annual Gross National Parade.  It featured entries such as a "Precision Briefcase Drill Team" which was men and women in business suits carrying briefcases; a group of women in ugly bridesmaids dresses; people on riding lawnmowers doing various maneuvers (kind of like the Shriners with their little cars); and other funny/bizarre entries.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for your wonderful suggestions.  ;D

purplemuse, the idea of a mobile art project is great.  We have many artists in the neighborhood who would be quite willing to participate.  The people manning the float might look like they've participated in Jouvai by the end of the parade but, it's all in good fun.  The idea of a Haiku Slam float is also just right for this place.  thanks so much for your excellent suggestions.

Blue2000, you have the same sort of delightfully twisted mind I love!  Old men playing chess with their grandchildren as the pieces is a wonderful idea. The idea of frisbee players could work with the dog walkers or the skate-boarders.  Kudos to you!  Unhappily, in my experience, joggers don't really want to make formations, they just want to make the finish line. 

pvw:  Are you old enough to remember the Hoo-Hah Parade?  Back in the 1970s and 1980s  it was a gentle thing that was put out in Pasadena to off-set the extravagance of the Rose Parade.  There was a briefcase drill team but there were even more interesting units. 

There was the lawn chair drill team.  These men and women did their drills while opening and closing their folding chairs with the crisp precision of Philadelphia Steppers.  The rhythm was amazing. 

There was also the unit of 'Citizens With the Right to Bear Arms.'  It sounds a bit militant but the arms these marchers were bearing weren't rifles.  They were arms from old dress dummies.  Imagine a formation in which the members of the team marched in a circle while their 'arms' clasped in the middle.

Thanks everybody for wonderful ideas.  If we could only get together we'd have an astounding LAGFAW Parade.

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »
A float with some of those older gentlemen playing chess or checkers - and their grandkids can be dressed up as the playing pieces for a live game.

I'm trying to imagine "kinging" a live checker...
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »
Anything that starts with a Neapolitan mastiff, I'm there!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

blue2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »

I'm trying to imagine "kinging" a live checker...

Imagine a pre-schooler hop-scotching across the board squares, landing in the right square, and jumping up and down in glee that they got "kinged". Maybe with a leap-frog move over other players.

If there were older children as well as young ones, they could put the younger one on their shoulders for a king. Or if they are the same size, they could just 'hop' together when they move - a little bit like a three-legged race.

And now I want a live checker game!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »
I was thinking that 'Kinging' a child in a wonderful game like this might require something akin to the cheese-hats of which Wisconsonites are fond.  A large, round black or red, checker-shaped hat would be a perfect 'Kinger' for a child.

Hey, I'd like one of those myself.  8)     

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 02:53:54 PM »
Hey, I know, how about a float devoted to the fiber arts! You could have spinners using spinning wheels and spinners using drop spindles in the front of the float, crocheters in the middle, and knitters in the rear of the float.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »
readingchick,

Why not have a fiberarts Float?

The weavers, the people who tat, the people who sew.  They'd certainly be welcome.  Wouldn't a float full of people performing music as they work synchronized sewing machines be wonderful to see and hear?

Weavers, it's time for your swish and clack riff.  Tatters, lets get the mikes out so that the good people along the way can hear the clatters and clacks of your shuttles.         

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
My middle-aged craft and exercise walkers would love to join! Just let us know where to show up!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
I'd love to see the kind of LAGFAW parade the good folks here in E-Hell propose.

Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen but wouldn't it be great if it could?

Dream on!  ;D  ::)