Author Topic: Why are you friends with this guy?  (Read 7534 times)

Person123

Why are you friends with this guy?
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:50:45 PM »
My friend, lets call her Tracy, and I have been friends for 13 years. I was there when she married her first husband, when she had her child, etc., etc. Well, she tells me that she's met a great guy, wants me to meet him. Fine, so we meet, and he's a nice enough fellow.

Fast forward 3 months, its Christmas, and he's proposing. He calls me for advice on what ring to get. I give him some ideas, as well as her ring size. So Christmas Day, she calls all excited that he proposed. He moves into her and her mother's house, and things appear to be fine.

Fast forward again, 8 months. Its their one-year anniversary. Their wedding date is to be on their two year anniversary, so we've been looking at dresses and venues, flowers and shoes. I get a phone call on a Monday, telling me that I need to take the following Friday afternoon off, because she and "Nicky" are getting married. So I take the time off, schedule an impromptu bachelorette party for the day before the wedding.

Well, the Thursday of the bachelorette party, Nicky gets arrested! He gets bailed out 20 minutes before the jail clerk closes, and we almost didn't have the bachelorette party. So, the wedding goes off, even though the groom almost wasn't there. Everything's hunky dory, till Nicky doesn't show up to a court date that's scheduled. So he gets arrested again, and I'm called upon to provide $500 bail money, as the last time he got arrested wiped them out financially. So being a good friend, I do. She calls me several times a week after this, telling me that she never should have gotten married, its all been a huge mistake. I told her to do what she needed to do, if divorce was the answer, that I would support her 100%.

Its now been 6 months since, and she and I no longer talk, because she was tired of my being unsupportive of her marriage, and that I wasn't supposed to condone divorce. I also haven't been paid back the 500 bucks. The only consolation is he eventually left her, telling her that she had gotten too negative. No kidding, bud. He and I are now really good friends, and talk 3 or 4 times a week, and she's living with her mom and paying off her bills from when he was jailed. So all's well that ends well. I'm just glad I didn't buy them an engagement, housewarming, or wedding gift!

PlainTacky0323-05

What I'm wondering is, why is the OP friends with this guy. If anyone should be paying back the $500, it should be him since he was the one in jail, right? Meanwhile, Tracy has to live with her mom to make up the money she lost when the guy was in jail, and is apparently too negative? I felt bad for Tracy!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Why are you friends with this guy?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
No kidding!

I was with her, right up until the end. Then she says she stayed good friends with the jerk and both of them expect his (soon-to-be-ex) wife to cough up the rest of the money for the legal bills?!?

I wouldn't be negative - I'd be as icy as a blizzard in January!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

HonorH

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
Yeah, he sounds like a great guy--getting arrested, not showing up for the court date, then dumping his legal fees on his ex-wife, who is "negative" over the whole thing. Whattaguy! He and the OP ought to get together. They sound like they deserve each other.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »
The 'greater fool' theory comes to mind ::)

cheyne

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »
He and the OP ought to get together.

This sounds like exactly what the OP wants!

I sure don't get the "all's well that ends well" comment.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
He and the OP ought to get together.

This sounds like exactly what the OP wants!

I sure don't get the "all's well that ends well" comment.

Yep, the "all's well" means "my friend is left distraught and in a financial hole, but hey, her ex is paying ME attention, so all's good".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Erich L-ster

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »
really. you're good friends with the guy get your money from him.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 07:36:49 PM »
Never mind, People.  He's learned who he can "touch" when he needs money to bail out of jail or whatever.  The OP will eventually get her just desserts.  Sometimes Karma actually shows up to the party.  8)

Emmy

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
I thought the ending to this story was very odd as well and all three sound like unusual characters.  I can see some things from the OP's point of view.  I can see why she is annoyed at not being paid back the bail money.  I can also see why she is frustrated that Tracy was venting about the huge mistake of getting married and then getting angry when the OP said she would be supportive if Tracy wanted a divorce.  Like everybody else, I was turned off when I read the end of the story.  The OP is gloating because she is friends with her ex and glad that he put Tracy in a financial bind.  While Tracy doesn't sound as if she is the world's most fantastic friend, she certainly didn't do anything horrible.

With a friend like the OP, who would need enemies?  To actually be happy that Tracy's creep of an ex husband left her and also left her his legal fees shows a lot about the OP's character. 

HonorH

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 10:59:52 PM »
Never mind, People.  He's learned who he can "touch" when he needs money to bail out of jail or whatever.  The OP will eventually get her just desserts.  Sometimes Karma actually shows up to the party.  8)

You know, I will just bet that's happened by now, and the OP is the latest in a loooong line of suckers to lose money and self-respect to this guy.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
Good grief. :P

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »
Yeah, he sounds like a great guy--getting arrested, not showing up for the court date, then dumping his legal fees on his ex-wife, who is "negative" over the whole thing. Whattaguy! He and the OP ought to get together. They sound like they deserve each other.

I agree.  While I feel bad for Tracy, I think that she will be better off once she gets her life back together.  She has lost a bad friend and a bad husband. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »

You know, I will just bet that's happened by now, and the OP is the latest in a loooong line of suckers to lose money and self-respect to this guy.

And likely will be telling people, "But I had absolutely no way of knowing that he was an untrustworthy jerk! I was absolutely blindsided when he took my money, and took off!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
So this guy gets arrested, has the OP pay his bail, doesn't make his court date (thus losing the OP's money) and gets arrested again...

and Tracy is the bad guy?

Poor Tracey, who is still financially paying for her ex's mistakes?

I am confused.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
This story just doesn't ring true.

Was it posted in the "tacky" section?  Why would the writer post it there? The only thing tacky in the story is the writer's behavior and attitude.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.