News:

• April 26, 2018, 02:49:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flips Flops Rude because of weather? Never heard of this..  (Read 6400 times)

Twik

Re: Flips Flops Rude because of weather? Never heard of this..
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
Quite honestly, I think that understanding "what I wear has an affect on whether I feel too hot, too cold or just right" is something that is not automatic. Small children, for example, rarely seem to be able to figure out for themselves. Some people never seem to get the idea.

Sort of like how the creator of "Dilbert" once wrote that when he was young, sometimes he wouldn't eat, and then feel tired. Later, he realized that when he did eat, he would feel less tired. So, he finally concluded that he wasn't feeling tired, he was feeling hungry. He was in his late twenties, he said, before he made the connection between regular meals and having energy to do his work.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Bees

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »
Was the Aunt the Mom of the other child at the party. Maybe she had just gone through a war of wills getting him dressed and she felt undermined by the teens in summer gear.

If it was warm enough to plan an outdoor party for small children it was probably warm enough to allow sandals. Maybe she expected the teens to corral the kids or play games which the footware prevented-thwarted again!

Nope rude was not the right term.

Everlee

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
I'd say that as long as you're comfortable and that there's no pre-set dress code then you can wear whatever you want to, who cares if someone else finds it rude.  I'm sure lots of people find my daughters Halloween socks rude in March, but she loves them and she's not hurting anybody by wearing them.
There was a little boy who wear flip-flops to Kindergarten today even though it was only around 40 degrees and getting ready to pour down rain.  That would bother me more than someone wearing them to a park.   ???

GoTwins

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
I, for one, do not think wearing footwear that seems inappropriate for the weather is rude. I live in Minnesota and if there is no snow on the ground I will wear my open toe shoes regardless of temperature (but no flip flops because I can't stand things between my toes!). My feet just get too darn hot otherwise.  ;D
The area just to the west of me has a very large Asian population and many of them wear flip flops year round. My OB/GYN is from India and always has sandals on. I don't find any of that rude at all. It's their culture. (Plus they don't think I'm weird for wearing open toe shoes when it's 38 degrees.  :D )
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:00:51 PM by GoTwins »

jessikast

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »
I've been racking my brain to think of an occasion where wearing jandals is rude, not just comment-worthy (because yes, I would comment quietly if I saw someone wearing jandals at a formal wedding or in the middle of a cold winter - specifying "cold" because I've worn them year-round when it's just a rainy winter!) and all I can come up with is this:

Jandals (or thongs or flipflops, whatever) are not suitable foot wear, safety-wise, in some situations. I've known people to get badly cut feet when their foot has slipped off the edge of a jandal while walking on slippery rocks. There was a photo in the paper recently of someone wearing jandals while on a scooter (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sideswipe/news/article.cfm?c_id=702&objectid=10709961 , followed the next day by a photo of someone BAREFOOT, ouch!) I think that it may be rude to wear patently unsuitable, if not downright DANGEROUS, footwear in a situation where bad consequences would negatively affect other people. (Like causing a car crash.)

MC Clapyohanz

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 01:59:09 AM »
A few weeks ago during a snowfall, a young guy was wearing shorts and tshirt.  My friend and I privately rolled our eyes and made some comments about teenagers, but never once thought he was rude.  It had nothing to do with us.

Why did you roll your eyes? There are those of us who run hot and are constantly getting asked, "aren't you cold in that?" Well, no, I'm not. I may be cold for a short time, but once I walk around or do something, I get hot. Also, people tend to blast the heat in buildings when it's cold outside, making the inside an inferno.

So even if *you* (general) think it's ridiculous to wear shorts and a t-shirt during a snowfall, the guy was apparently OK with his choice. And if not? Oh well, his problem.

LeeLee88

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 07:26:53 AM »
I think the aunt is just another person who substitutes the word "rude" for "something I don't like/find distasteful" because for her, "rude" is a catchall descriptor of things she doesn't like.  A lot of people seem to have this idea (where would we on E-Hell be without those folks?) and it's just because they don't know how else to say "I don't like that", or "I don't think that's a good idea". 
With that in mind, of course it isn't rude to wear flip-flops in the park.  Aunt didn't like it because it's cold out, and because she doesn't really know how else to express her displeasure at seeing flip-flops on someone when it's cold out, she called it "rude".  She was the rude one in this case, which you know.  I would think that a bit of cool air on a badly swollen foot would feel pretty good, actually.  By the way, I hope your DD heals up quick, and just like new!

Carnation

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »
I've mentioned this before, but a couple of years ago, I was travelling at Christmas. In Canada.

There was a young woman in the airport wearing what I have to consider the most impractical clothing design ever - a cropped parka. Yes, she had lowrise jeans, about six inches of bare skin, and then a heavy, furlined parka starting just at her ribcage.

Oh, did I mention we were in a Canadian winter? And that it was a small airport, so one would have to walk about 100 meters to the airplane, and then stand there for about 5 minutes waiting to board, as a minus 15 C windchill blasted us?

I had shivers just looking at her. I could only presume the parka was designed by someone in California, but what person in Canada would actually buy it?  ???

Seriously, remember Fernando from Saturday Night Live?   He'd say "It is better to look good, than to feel good". :-*

As for the OP, I think it's rude of Auntie Flip Flops to point out someone's breach of etiquette, real, imagined or in this case, made up.

Giggity

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 10:34:49 AM »
I don't think that a t-shirt and shorts during cold weather is weird.

What I do think is weird is mismatched insulation levels. If it's cold enough for you to put a jacket on your upper part, why are you wearing shorts on the lower part?
Words mean things.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »

What I do think is weird is mismatched insulation levels. If it's cold enough for you to put a jacket on your upper part, why are you wearing shorts on the lower part?

My legs don't get cold, so I've been known to wear a skirt, bare legs, and a sweater.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:20 AM »
I've been racking my brain to think of an occasion where wearing jandals is rude, not just comment-worthy (because yes, I would comment quietly if I saw someone wearing jandals at a formal wedding or in the middle of a cold winter - specifying "cold" because I've worn them year-round when it's just a rainy winter!) and all I can come up with is this:

(snip)

Shudder!  If a medical professional is treating me that intimately, I want his feet covered.  Ewwwwwwwwww!  (I know, it's totally irrational.  But ewwwwwwwwwwww.)

It may be culturally appropriate in some places, but I am not in a place where flip-flops are culturally appropriate for a professional environment.

Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

immadz

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 11:55:50 AM »

(snip)

Shudder!  If a medical professional is treating me that intimately, I want his feet covered.  Ewwwwwwwwww!  (I know, it's totally irrational.  But ewwwwwwwwwwww.)

It may be culturally appropriate in some places, but I am not in a place where flip-flops are culturally appropriate for a professional environment.

Emma

Sandals and flip flops are different things. How are shoes cleaner or more unclean that bare feet. I tend to wash my feet more often than shoes. Doctors often cover their shoes in an extra protective layer in ORs and so on for exxactly the same reason. While I can see that you don't like flip flops, they might actually be less infected and gross since a larger surface area of covered/uncovered foot is well recently washed.

Yvaine

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »
Sandals and flip flops are different things. How are shoes cleaner or more unclean that bare feet. I tend to wash my feet more often than shoes. Doctors often cover their shoes in an extra protective layer in ORs and so on for exxactly the same reason. While I can see that you don't like flip flops, they might actually be less infected and gross since a larger surface area of covered/uncovered foot is well recently washed.

The reason for sandals being verboten in many work environments--the ones where the rule is based on safety rather than image--is not to protect others from one's foot germs, but to protect the wearer themselves. I used to wonder about that too when I first started in food service. "But I'm not making food with my feet!"  :D No, but they don't want to get sued if I drop a knife or something hot on my foot!

immadz

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2011, 12:12:59 PM »

The reason for sandals being verboten in many work environments--the ones where the rule is based on safety rather than image--is not to protect others from one's foot germs, but to protect the wearer themselves. I used to wonder about that too when I first started in food service. "But I'm not making food with my feet!"  :D No, but they don't want to get sued if I drop a knife or something hot on my foot!

This is true. But I am assuming if the doctor wore sandals it was deemed safe for her environment. A lot of doctors can wear sandals during patient consultations and close toed shoes if they are working on the floor. Sometimes doctors change even when they leave the office or consultation room. It really depends. Rules also vary country to country.

MC Clapyohanz

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 01:44:27 AM »

My legs don't get cold, so I've been known to wear a skirt, bare legs, and a sweater.

I'm the same way. My legs are less likely to get cold than my upper body. If my legs do get cold, I can just move around and then I get hot, so I'm OK. Or, I can pull my sweatshirt over my legs, with my knees pulled up to my chest.

For me, there are 2 kinds of being cold. There's the kind where you're cold but it's manageable and not too uncomfortable. Then there's the kind of cold where you're just miserable; where the very thought of getting touched by that kind of cold just fills you with dread. I'm thinking no hot water in the middle of winter and you have to take a shower, kind of cold. Also, when it's really windy in the winter and the wind makes it *that* much colder. Stupid wind.

Does anyone else categorize the cold like that, or am I the only one?