News:

• April 19, 2018, 12:05:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flips Flops Rude because of weather? Never heard of this..  (Read 6396 times)

jaxsue

Re: Flips Flops Rude because of weather? Never heard of this..
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 07:54:01 AM »
I'm a bit squicked out by feet - my issue, I know.

That doesn't mean that I'm offended when someone wears sandals or flip-flops (the latter, at a formal event, yes, but everyday wear NP).

I do remember, though, being offended when a woman who was a member of my last church always wore flip-flops or sandals (this was in FL, so warm weather). The reason: she had a bad case of toe fungus. All the years I knew her she had it. It was noticeable even from a distance. I made a point to avoid being near those feet.  :-X

Maybe there was a medical reason to wear airy footwear. Still, others shouldn't have to deal with that.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »
1st to the above EWWWW

At the park no matter the temp it isn't rude.  It would be rude if they somehow violated a dress code like at a country club or something.  but even then a quick explination of the injury to the door person would usually get you a pass.  The aunt was being rude.
93 93/93

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »
I've been racking my brain to think of an occasion where wearing jandals is rude, not just comment-worthy (because yes, I would comment quietly if I saw someone wearing jandals at a formal wedding or in the middle of a cold winter - specifying "cold" because I've worn them year-round when it's just a rainy winter!) and all I can come up with is this:

(snip)

Shudder!  If a medical professional is treating me that intimately, I want his feet covered.  Ewwwwwwwwww!  (I know, it's totally irrational.  But ewwwwwwwwwwww.)

It may be culturally appropriate in some places, but I am not in a place where flip-flops are culturally appropriate for a professional environment.

Emma

Sandals and flip flops are different things. How are shoes cleaner or more unclean that bare feet. I tend to wash my feet more often than shoes. Doctors often cover their shoes in an extra protective layer in ORs and so on for exxactly the same reason. While I can see that you don't like flip flops, they might actually be less infected and gross since a larger surface area of covered/uncovered foot is well recently washed.

I said that it was irrational.

Nevertheless, for a *medical professional* to be essentially unshod when examining me in the most intimate fashion squicks me out.  It is, as noted, a matter of professional image.  I would rather not think of my doctor as having popped in from the beach to deign to take time from his day to see me. 

As to culture, I am in the United States.  The standard here, for medical professionals, as I understand it, is for medical professionals to wear proper footwear. 

I am not in a country where it is culturally appropriate to wear thongs for all occasions. 

If I were, I would have to get over feeling squicked, or find a caregiver who happened to maintain standards common in most of Europe and in the United States. 

If a medical practitioner emigrated to the United States from a country where thongs are appropriate professional footwear, I expect, I believe not unreasonably, that said professional will adhere to the standards appropriate in the United States, however fast I may consider those to be plummeting.

Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

scotcat

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
My aunt that we are estranged from told them " It is very rude to wear flip flops when it is cold!"

I wonder why you are estranged. could it be because she makes pronouncements like this? 

I don't think it is rude to wear flip flops in cold weather. People's thermoregulatory systems vary. When I was at school, most of us played hockey wrapped up as much as we could , games skirt, jersey etc, but one girl always played in just her short sleeved gym blouse, and her knickers.

Brentwood

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »
My aunt that we are estranged from told them " It is very rude to wear flip flops when it is cold!"

I wonder why you are estranged. could it be because she makes pronouncements like this? 

I don't think it is rude to wear flip flops in cold weather. People's thermoregulatory systems vary. When I was at school, most of us played hockey wrapped up as much as we could , games skirt, jersey etc, but one girl always played in just her short sleeved gym blouse, and her knickers.

A friend of mine wears flip flops or sandals almost all year 'round. I've often joked that you know it's really cold when she puts on real shoes.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »
Once I had foot issues that made it impossible to wear anything but FlipFlops. (stepped by a bee, swollen foot big time. ) I understand that stuff happens and you can't do much else. I think the aunt was far more rude than the poor girl with the hurt foot in flipflops at a park for a little kids party.

SeaSprite

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2011, 05:46:43 AM »
Scout-no snow we live in Texas. That day was in the low-mid 40's (cold for our area)
I caved....

SeaSprite

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2011, 06:12:13 AM »
For more information Oh my NO Aunt was not the parent of the other child. My son's best friend is. Unfortunately Grandbaby's mom is in prison-another tale another time.
Had son heard he would have said something to her. Yes DD did think the cool breeze on her foot felt good. Turned out to not go down over the weekend like we hoped it would and we saw the dr Monday. I was a bit disturbed the PA didn't xray it as they did my other kidlet there that day. I just didn't want them to miss a hairline like they did with ds. They wrapped her up and gave her instructions to follow. No her friend never complained about the cold either. (that girl worries me with her flip flop wearing. She lives here with us.)
   Aunt is estranged because she believed my mothers lie and attacked/cursed me at my babyshower for ds (the one that has the grandbaby)horrifying my poor aunt from the other side that threw it. In front of everyone. I was mad she didn't check to see if what M told her was true, and my Gma twisted the tale a bit too. I never had a chance. I was also about four days away from my due date.
Then some years later she did something to my special needs son. And she is a special needs (severely, severely special needs) teacher. SHE KNOWS BETTER. And that was that. I looked at my dh , told him to gather up the other two we were out of there. And never looked back. My M told me later that 'well having her ex inlaws was stressing her out" Tough. She invited them, she knew they would be there. Her dh, me and snds offered to help her for which we got our heads ripped off at full volume.
DS was just starting to come out of his shell a bit after three years of therapy to help him learn to talk again, how to function with motor skills, etc. And I spent three nights with a toddlerish child that had nightmares because of this mess. You.Do.Not. Mess. With. My. Kids. that way. THat was the final straw on a heavy bale on the camels back.
Ironically if it had been one of her parents doing that to a kid in her classroom? Oh katy bar the door that would not fly.
    DD said she walked by while they were talking to her cousin who is Aunt's youngest. A very sweet, mild docile young woman. DD said Aunt walked by, gave them a look and cousin left and didn't talk to them the rest of the party nor even look at them. Now DD committed a HORRIBLE faux paus with her gma -my mom. It is possible she whined about it (no she wouldn't just say it was a bad thing to do or ask advice-she makes it ALL about her. and Aunt picked up on that like all those years ago. My maternal unit would pep the tale up a bit. And friends Dad heard the three apologies she made to MU. While she didn't have to accept them, she could have acknowledged at least one. "dd while I heard your apology I am not prepared to accept it at this time") Friends Dad said MU just looked at her like she had three heads.
By the end of that day there were 8 apologies from DD and 2 the day after. None acknowledged at all. Because of how I know my mom and her sisters are I told DD she could have stopped at four. And I found out she did something really really not nice to DD on the way over. Something even her brother has told her to stop doing. I didn't know it at the time or I would have said something.
That was truly a case of what she did made dd's mistake look like a pebble in the ocean.
I caved....

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2011, 06:13:07 AM »
but one girl always played in just her short sleeved gym blouse, and her knickers.

Silly question: knickers as in...um, underpants? Are this appropriate to wear in public? Or am I missunderstanding? (Non-native speaker of English.)
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »

A friend of mine wears flip flops or sandals almost all year 'round. I've often joked that you know it's really cold when she puts on real shoes.

SO wears sandals (like Tevas) nearly year round. I joke that you know it's really cold when he puts on socks.

It's also how you can tell when someone's spent too long in California :D

scotcat

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2011, 10:38:08 AM »
Silly question: knickers as in...um, underpants?

Yes, underpants, or panties. Knickers is one term for them in the UK, where I originate. We were on a playing field, so only semi public, and everything was covered, as our school made you wear Bridget Jones style big knickers in heavy duty navy cotton.