Author Topic: WHEN I win the lotto I'm going too....  (Read 4568 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: WHEN I win the lotto I'm going too....
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »
Our local lotto currently has a *huge* jackpot and when I win it all  :D, I will:

- pay of our debts and our sibling's debts
- give some to charity and some to our parents
- I would give some to each sibling, but for my big brother I'd put most of it into a trust fund for his son. Big brother would get some "mad money", but he has a history of instability.
- With our sib's permission, a fully funded college fund for every niece and nephew.

That's the "responsible" part of the spending.
For the "fun" spending:

- buy another farm, probably somewhere on the west coast of BC or on the Gulf Islands (dh and I both miss our farm and the idea of getting away from these Alberta winters has a lot of appeal)
-build our dream house - lots of stone, beams and natural light (yeah, I know - sunlight and the west coast are an oxymoron!)
- rent an RV and do a 6 month cross country road trip, going where ever the whim takes us
- take scuba lessons, go back to my cross-stitching, pursue my writing in earnest
- study anything that looks fun, like pottery and woodworking
- travel the world

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
Pay off EVERYTHING I owe including my house
Take 10% of what is left and donate to my religious organization to help fund a scholarship
Take the rest and travel, retire early and maybe attempt to finallly write my book
93 93/93

Lynnv

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
Man, Lynnv - even your SMALL lotto has to be pretty big!

Hey-if I am going to dream, I am not doing it by half-measures.

Besides, even our state lotto jackpot is over $1 mill.  The Powerball is way higher than that.  And my bike isn't that expensive, nor is DH's.  My car isn't either.

If we are talking smaller pots (not the big jackpots) then the list shrinks to essentials and paying off the bills that have run up since I have been out of work.  But that isn't nearly as much fun as the other.   ;D
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »
     Would love to open up an Animal Shelter/Eldery Folks & Kids with Disabilities Recreation Center.  Combined to benefit all! 

My BF thinks I told him I wanted a shelter for eldery diabled animals.  He says "But think of the mess!!   ::)  :)

When I clarified, he was all for it though... he is a softie for all of the above. 

I'd also get pampered and waxed and massaged and everything I always wanted to pay others to do for me to make me feel beautiful and relaxed and special.   :D  OK, I guess BF can get waxed, too...  :D
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Oh, yes.  When I win the lottery, I'm going in for thrice weekly massages.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Buy a second house just to store all the shoes I would buy.  ;D

but seriously..

fix up my Mom's house.

pay off our house.

buy DH a pickup truck.

go on a long vacation around the world.

buy shoes. lots of shoes. LOTS of shoes. seriously. SHOES. and books. LOTS of books.

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »
Buy a second house just to store all the shoes I would buy.  ;D

but seriously..

fix up my Mom's house.

pay off our house.

buy DH a pickup truck.

go on a long vacation around the world.

buy shoes. lots of shoes. LOTS of shoes. seriously. SHOES. and books. LOTS of books.

My husband has said that when we win he's going to get me my very own 18-wheeler to turn into a closet, then hire a driver so I can take my entire wardrobe with me when/if we travel.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 04:14:16 PM »
Fund my children's educations.

Move my daughter, SIL and grandson anywhere they want to go.

Build a dream house in Texas.

Maggie

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »
If I want to see the biggest ball of string in the world, I can stop and do just that.

For that you gotta come to the US!  

alegria

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »
If I seriously won the powerball, I'd go home and pack up my dogs (along with clothing and supplies) into the truck, go pick up my trailer, and go south until it was warm enough for me.   ;D

Along the way I'd call my DH (he probably wouldn't want to go with me anyway), find a lawyer to deal with all the paperwork, call the catsitter to feed/care for the cats, and then call my boss and let him know I'd be back in a month or so.   8)

ShieldMaiden

• Lady of Rohan
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
1.  Pay off all my student loans
2.  Pay off our house
3.  Pay off my parents house
4.  Pay for all the classes DH needs to finish his PhD
5.  Pay off all the loans my sisters and brother has for their college education
6.  If we have money after all that I would like a bigger house, in which case I'd give PeasNCues the house we have now (that would be paid off) and we'd move into a bigger house.

And if we had enough money that I wouldn't need to work ever again, I'd start a golden retriever rescue agency and foster a TON of doggies  ;D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 06:53:59 PM »
>snip<

My plan is to start off with a helicopter and a goat ... after that, we'll see. I guess it depends on how big a Lotto.
Need a pilot?   8)

;D As a matter of fact, yes.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jmarvellous

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »
I never answer these questions because I would never buy a lotto ticket anyway. But if someone bought one for me and I won, let's say, I would:

1. Buy my mom a beautiful house with a guesthouse out back to replace her suburban junk bucket, and make sure she's taken care of after retirement.
2. Pay off my brother's student loans and pay for my sister's college, and get them both nice, reliable cars. Set up a small trust fund for my step-brother.
3. Pay for my boyfriend to go to college. And get him a single-engine plane.
4. Quit my job, travel for a while, then take up freelance work and nonprofit advocacy, supported by interest income from the leftover jackpot money.

Once I found a place I'd like to live, I'd buy a penthouse and a fancy car and settle in

I guess there's nothing material and immediate that I want very much, except a different home sometime soon. And I'd probably upgrade some electronics and my wardrobe!

kckgirl

Re: WHEN I win the lotto I'm going to....
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »
1. Give to my church and our missionaries
2. Buy a house w/2 master bedrooms and 1 or 2 other bedrooms, everything on one level
3. Pay off all debts
4. Emergency fund equaling one year's normal income
5. Fully fund my retirement account at work
6. Invest
7. Travel some (in a car; don't like to fly)
8. Retire a little early, but not right away
Maryland

Germane Jackson

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »
Buy a replica pirate ship and sail the high seas!  ;D

I'm serious about that too! I saw one for sale for a mere $250,000.

I'd hire a cat nanny for each of my 17 cats so their every whim and desire is catered to. I'm serious about that too, haha!

I'd also build a huge animal rescue shelter.