Author Topic: WHEN I win the lotto I'm going too....  (Read 4728 times)

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
Re: WHEN I win the lotto I'm going too....
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 10:54:30 PM »
1. Pay off our debt, including my student loans.
2. Finish DH's degree.
3. Get that Psych degree I couldn't double major in.
4. Have a custom house built.
5. Pay off my parents' house (they bought a new house in their late 40s when they moved to be closer to my grandparents, who aren't doing so well. They're trying to pay it off in 7 years so they don't have a mortgage in their 60s, but my mom's recent health problems have cut into that. So I would fix that).
6. Buy a brand new car.
7. Buy a bunch of super-awesome camping gear for SCA events.
8. Buy expensive, authentic fabrics for garb.
9. Charitable donations - cystic fibrosis foundation, literacy foundations, USO, some animal shelters. Maybe I'll sponsor my own no-kill shelter and pay someone to run it for me (I haven't the foggiest idea how to go about it)
10. Invest the rest and either live off it, or use it to supplement our income.

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 03:40:15 AM »
I'd be tempted to do what Isaac Asimov would've done. Taken all the money to Revenue Services, and say "Here, this is yours. I give to you of my own free will. The only stipulation is that you leave me, my kids and (depending on the amount of money) my kids' kids alone for all their lives."

But realistically, probably buy a nice house, get TTO and I decent cars, give some money to SWMBO and HWMBO, and FIL (if he'd take it). Maybe take the whole family on a nice overseas trip (SIL and FIL have never been outside the country before, so it'd be AWESOME). And sock away a good chunk for when I'm old and grey.
It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.
-Thomas Huxley

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 04:01:00 AM »

Buy a house.
Send money to my sister in Cleveland.
Visit Wales.
Follow the Australian Cricketers wherever in the world they are playing.
Stewart/Colbert '16

sweetgirl

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:40 AM »
Sorry. Posted before I went to bed  ;D

I'm gonna say a small lotto win of 2million or what our current lotto is of $28,000,000. I know America has really huge lottos but thats ALOT of money to realistically be able to imagine doing things with.

Small lotto:

I would use a million to pay of our debts,buy a house,car and holiday. The other million I would use half of that to put away for savings etc; and the other half to help out our families and pay off their debt. I would set some money aside also for my kids for their education (should they go to uni) or if they dont use it for that, that they have it there for a homeloan in the future.

Big lotto:

I would give the  siblings a million each and a car. My mum 2 million. DHs parents 1 million, which sounds mean but with all the grandparents and relatives he would be expected to help and would do so, I think thats fair. Thats 8 million gone there. I would use 2 million to donate to charities and medical researches. I would have 2 million set aside for my kids. Another million divided by 5 for my nieces and nephews. 5 million I would use to fund a business venture of some sort. And the other 10 million would be used for our personal purchases,savings and future.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »
After discharging financial responsibilities I would donate money to the arts and to animal charities.

Assuming a huge win I would give some money to each of my responsible friends so they could discharge their debts and indulge themselves a bit.  I might charter a cruise ship so we could travel the world.

As to real estate I would have trouble deciding between a mansion in Westchester and a penthouse in Manhattan.  Either way I would have live-in servants and 6 cats.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 08:13:58 AM »
I never answer these questions because I would never buy a lotto ticket anyway.
If the universe wishes you to win the Lottery, you would find the winning ticket blowing around the 7-11 parking lot!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

mamakinz

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 08:24:38 AM »
smallish lottery (of course I only buy US lottery tix when it's a big amount)

pave the driveway, take a nice vacation to Disney, maybe a vacation to Ireland

big lottery

pave the driveway, new siding/roof and windows for the house we bought in december
do all the home renovation projects I want to do -- with top of the line products, instead of "what we can afford" products
several nice vacations - Disney, Ireland, California
buy a vacation home somewhere near home - for weekend getaways
buy a new travel trailer (our tent-trailer is good, but I'd want better)
put away enough money that both kids could go to whatever college they wanted, without worrying about money
donate to a few charities - probably the local Girl Scout council, the Kopila Valley Children's home in Nepal (started by a girl that graduated from my DD's high school) a local animal rescue

give money to- my parents. my FIL, my sister and my brother, and my niece and 4 nephews (with the caveat of - "this is all I'm giving you - don't ask for any more)

sweetgirl

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 10:00:40 AM »
Mamakinz me too! Once I've given it, I wont give anymore. So if they spend the money and want more,thats just too bad. Hear too many stories of people who win lotto,help their family out and 12months later they are back for more.

My gfs parents won 5 million in lotto and helped out their kids and family and friends. And you know even with what they had been given, it still wasnt good enough for alot of them. 

eclecticgrrl

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
Mamakinz me too! Once I've given it, I wont give anymore. So if they spend the money and want more,thats just too bad. Hear too many stories of people who win lotto,help their family out and 12months later they are back for more.

My gfs parents won 5 million in lotto and helped out their kids and family and friends. And you know even with what they had been given, it still wasnt good enough for alot of them. 

I was just reading something that talked about how winners of large jackpots end up even more in debt and in fairly desperate financial straits some X number of years after winning (but I don't remember the specifics so I can be talking out my behind...)  So this is always my "sour grapes response" when it turns out that we haven't won the $130 million lottery - at least I won't end up even more in debt than I am today!   ;)

I may have to revise my list though because I have to admit that sailing the high seas in a revamped pirate ship sounds pretty awesome.  Gotta get me a pirate ship.

If my new house is big enough, I can just put the pirate ship in the garage until I'm ready to go sailing and hopefully BF won't even notice it's there!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »
If I ever win a big jackpot, I'm going to ensure that I put a large chunk in some kind of investment that I can't get at it.  Just the interest would be released to live off of.

That way, when the rest of the money is gone, I can truthfully say that I don't have any accessible money to give when every/anyone comes out of the woodwork.

But then, I have a strong spine.  I'd have no problem telling someone 'No'.  Or if I was inclined to help them out, I wouldn't give someone cash.  If someone asked if they could have $X,000 to pay off their vehicle, and I wanted to help them out, I'd say, 'Sure!  Let's go to your bank and I'll pay that loan off for you right now.'  It'd weed out the ones just looking for quick cash.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

sweetgirl

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
part of the problem in investing though, is the potential of losing most of it.

My gfs parents had alot in stock and investments, and when the market crashed 2 years ago, they lost alot of money. They still had some,but it was very hairy for a long time and they actually relied on my friends salary for months to help them out with the bills.

I think if I won the lotto I'd probably just tell everybody I won alot less than I did. That way if they are smart and tally up in their heads my "winnings" and what I'd given they'd assume there wasnt much left. Not that its their business anyways,but having knows my gfs stories about her parents....people really are stupid and greedy.

AdakAK

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 12:12:17 PM »
I am building a neighborhood. The houses will be in a circley shape with all the backyards pointing to a park. We will have a community center with a gym, pool, movie theatre and a large dining/cooking area. My best friends and their families and I will all live there.  We will cook 2-3 community meals a week. We will have a movie night with families and some for the grownups. We are all 'village raising kids' families when it comes to each other and everyone will watch kids, kiss owwies and love each other (well we do that part now!)

I know i would give some to charity too but this is what I would do for ME. They have agreed to move if I ever did win. I know actually doing it wouldn't be easy but it is our happy place, and we talk about it sometimes when things are bad.

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
Buy a replica pirate ship and sail the high seas!  ;D

This is awesome!  I'd steal the idea but I get so seasick I'd be begging to walk the plank!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »
If I ever win a big jackpot, I'm going to ensure that I put a large chunk in some kind of investment that I can't get at it.  Just the interest would be released to live off of.

That way, when the rest of the money is gone, I can truthfully say that I don't have any accessible money to give when every/anyone comes out of the woodwork.

POD

Im going on the assumption I win big; as in millions and millions, more than I could ever possibly spend in my lifetime.

That being said, first thing Id do is find a good attorney AND call my moms awesome financial advisor; get all my ducks in a row, change my phone number, etc. THEN notify the lottery commission Im the one and only winner.

After that Id do the following:
Pay off ALL my debt
Pay off moms (mortgage)
Buy a house, furnish it, etc., and indulge in all those things I want to, but cant i.e. regular trips to the spa for facials, a private trainer, and so on. 
Id then invest whatever was necessary for me to have a good income for the rest of my life, and allow me to do whatever I want (including the above list) ; i.e. not work, volunteer, work PT, travel, and never have to worry about money ever again.
Share with family and friends, but Id set it up in such a way that they get so much, and after that, the well has run dry.
Whatever is left over, give to charity.

If I won smaller, say 100 or 200K Id pay off my debts, and buy a new car, then invest the rest.

Petticoats

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »
Quit my job, start my own publishing house, and poach my talented coworker-friends to work there.

Use the lovely vast spans of time thus freed up to write novels, travel, catch up on all the movies and TV shows that have been accumulating in my "must watch" list, and hang out with friends.

Ooh, and design a line of clothing suited to my particular quirks of figure and preference, and have talented seamstresses and tailors run them up for me. I haven't the patience to sew for myself unless it's something special.

And definitely hire someone to clean my house.

Oooh, and I'll get a dog! Since I won't have to spend all day in the office, I'll have time for a new furbaby!