Author Topic: WHEN I win the lotto I'm going too....  (Read 4437 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: WHEN I win the lotto I'm going too....
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
Actually I was confusing the two.  The song title is what I had in mind.

SDG31000

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
I thought it was about time to dip my toes into Ehell, and starting here would work.  :)
DH and I have talked about this a lot, it's one of our fantasy conversations.
First we would have a huge party with fantastic food and the best party bags imaginable, each one containing things geared towards the receiver.  I would also try to hire Eddie Izzard to perform at the party.
We would help out our family and friends, including paying off debts and buying houses and cars.

Then a big group trip to Florida and a smaller trip to New York, as my sister really wants to go back there.

We would then search for the right place to build a big house, or the empty shell of a house to build into.  It would have to have a library, a HUGE kitchen with a pantry, a really big room for DH and DS's hobbies, which apparently would need to have a pool table, air hockey and numerous old arcade games and pinball machine. The most important thing would be my own bathroom.  We have one bathroom between the four of us right now and I long for my own deep, free-standing bath with a bookcase and fridge within easy reach.
DH and I have a list of charities that we would support, each of which are dear to our hearts.  I would love to be able to go to the local Children's Hospice and say "What do you need?" and to write them a cheque. 
But most of all, I'd want the money to bring happiness, joy and knowledge into all our lives

eclecticgrrl

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »
Hey, SDG31000!  Welcome to eHell!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2011, 01:29:12 PM »
I'd want to buy a property something like this: http://www.waterfrontwest.com/lot-acreage/pender-island-unsurpassed-oceanfront-acreage.html

but for less money.  :)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
I am assuming I won at least 1M USD.

I would:

- buy a new car. Yes, a hybrid. Mine is fine but it is getting into years and has had some costly repairs. I would donate the old one.
- buy one of my colleagues and her family a house.
- buy another colleague a new car.
- pay for the college tuition of another colleague's daughter.
- pay off my BFF's student loans, as well as her parents' mortgage.
- get a second bachelor's degree, this time in Psychology.
- travel to places I have not been to. Visit favorite places again. 
- make a donation to my local U's scholarship fund.
- IF there is anything left, I would buy a second house.

Sadly, money cannot buy the one thing I wish for the most. But for everything else, I certainly would splurge if I won the lotto!
I have pet mice!

Larrabee

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »
Would most people give up work? 

Maybe I need to learn to dream a bit bigger, but I'm about to go back to education and my first thought is that a lottery win would mean I don't have to worry about money for the three years I'll be studying!  I'd still want to pursue the career I'm aiming for though.  I suppose a lottery win would mean I could work fewer hours each week as I don't need to work to survive, but because I enjoy it, and I'd be less likely to get stressed out and exhausted!

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
I thought of something else!  I'd hire a nanny.  Not to raise the kids for me, but I wish so very much that I could just leave the house sometimes without packing two (very heavy) children into the car who can't yet get themselves into their car seats.  I would love to be able to just pop over to the store if I've forgotten an ingredient for dinner that night, or go shopping during the day without my husband having to take off work or stay at home with the kids on his Saturday off.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

CG

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »

Maybe I need to learn to dream a bit bigger, but I'm about to go back to education and my first thought is that a lottery win would mean I don't have to worry about money for the three years I'll be studying!  I'd still want to pursue the career I'm aiming for though.  I suppose a lottery win would mean I could work fewer hours each week as I don't need to work to survive, but because I enjoy it, and I'd be less likely to get stressed out and exhausted!

I think it's more of giving up a job that they don't enjoy, than never working again.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »

I think it's more of giving up a job that they don't enjoy, than never working again.

Exactly. I'd work - at something I loved. I wouldn't keep a grunt job if I didn't need it for survival. (And if you want to look at it altruistically - quitting that job opens it for someone else who DOES need it.)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
BTW - I know the thread title says lotto, but for some reason this afternoon it keeps processing in my brain as When I win the loo...

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »
I would not give up work. I love being a librarian.
I have pet mice!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2011, 09:41:34 PM »
And you've got to consider -- if you take the lump sum and run through all of it in a year or two (and a lot of lottery winners do), what do you do for income after that?  If you committed professional suicide, like telling Rude Overbearing Boss exactly what he could shove where & how far, you might find it even harder in today's economy to get another job.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2011, 09:45:44 PM »
And you've got to consider -- if you take the lump sum and run through all of it in a year or two (and a lot of lottery winners do), what do you do for income after that?  If you committed professional suicide, like telling Rude Overbearing Boss exactly what he could shove where & how far, you might find it even harder in today's economy to get another job.

I couldn't bring myself to do that anyway. Unless I were grossly, horribly mistreated, there'd be no reason for it.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2011, 10:30:01 PM »
I would buy myself a small RV to drive around town, so I would always have a clean restroom wherever I was.   :D

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2011, 12:30:54 AM »

I might, secretly.  Have them work their way through college (maybe paying for tuition, but they'd have to earn room and board and books), then around the age of 25 or so, surprise! you have a trust fund!

If I had kids, I think I would do the exact opposite: support them trough college so they can focus on studying and volunteering for causes they believe in, and then encourage them to lead a productive, active working life.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)