Author Topic: WHEN I win the lotto I'm going too....  (Read 4426 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: WHEN I win the lotto I'm going too....
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2011, 12:37:59 AM »

I might, secretly.  Have them work their way through college (maybe paying for tuition, but they'd have to earn room and board and books), then around the age of 25 or so, surprise! you have a trust fund!

If I had kids, I think I would do the exact opposite: support them trough college so they can focus on studying and volunteering for causes they believe in, and then encourage them to lead a productive, active working life.

People I know who work with students (professors, other faculty, etc) tell me that the students who most commonly do really well are the ones who have to do something to work their way through college.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2011, 03:57:35 AM »

I might, secretly.  Have them work their way through college (maybe paying for tuition, but they'd have to earn room and board and books), then around the age of 25 or so, surprise! you have a trust fund!

If I had kids, I think I would do the exact opposite: support them trough college so they can focus on studying and volunteering for causes they believe in, and then encourage them to lead a productive, active working life.

People I know who work with students (professors, other faculty, etc) tell me that the students who most commonly do really well are the ones who have to do something to work their way through college.

I agree, but the thing is- a lot of research work/internship opportunities that would really help develop skills are unpaid for undergraduates; and I think it's a huge opportunity to be able to choose your work during college by how it would help you develop your skills rather than by whether it is paid or not.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Kaylee

• Super Hero!
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2011, 04:06:20 AM »
After paying off the student loans (and those of my classmates too) and buying a dream apartment and a place in Hawaii...

I'm joining with Nathan Fillion's dream of buying back the rights to Firefly, producing it and distributing it on the internet. 

8)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »

I agree, but the thing is- a lot of research work/internship opportunities that would really help develop skills are unpaid for undergraduates; and I think it's a huge opportunity to be able to choose your work during college by how it would help you develop your skills rather than by whether it is paid or not.

Well, if one of my kids had an opportunity like that, I would gladly make up the money lost by taking an unpaid internship.  But I don't think we'll just outright provide all tuition and expenses for them.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »

Well, if one of my kids had an opportunity like that, I would gladly make up the money lost by taking an unpaid internship.  But I don't think we'll just outright provide all tuition and expenses for them.
I guess we may have  different life experiences :) My family and I have made quite big sacrifices so I could get a double degree- which in my country actually means two separate undergraduate degrees, totally independent from each other- and involve in a lot of volunteering projects; which meant I couldn't possibly take up any kind of paid work- it just didn't fit into my schedule. It is true that there are a lot of things that I would have liked but couldn't afford, but I'll soon end these three years of college with a licence diploma in Sociology, one in Philosophy and a work experience/CV comparable to the ones my classmates who took one degree only and worked for money have. I think it was really worth it.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2011, 01:00:46 PM »
Would most people give up work? 

Maybe I need to learn to dream a bit bigger, but I'm about to go back to education and my first thought is that a lottery win would mean I don't have to worry about money for the three years I'll be studying!  I'd still want to pursue the career I'm aiming for though.  I suppose a lottery win would mean I could work fewer hours each week as I don't need to work to survive, but because I enjoy it, and I'd be less likely to get stressed out and exhausted!

I think it's more of giving up a job that they don't enjoy, than never working again.

Exactly. I'd work - at something I loved. I wouldn't keep a grunt job if I didn't need it for survival. (And if you want to look at it altruistically - quitting that job opens it for someone else who DOES need it.)
Me too. Id do something I really enjoyed, not something because the bills needed to be paid.  I have to say, Im not sure if Id quit my current job right away; I need structure, and until I got everything settled, Id need to discipline of having to get up and go to work each day.  But once I did, theres no way I could sit around all day, and NOT do something. 

eclecticgrrl

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
Me too. Id do something I really enjoyed, not something because the bills needed to be paid.  I have to say, Im not sure if Id quit my current job right away; I need structure, and until I got everything settled, Id need to discipline of having to get up and go to work each day.  But once I did, theres no way I could sit around all day, and NOT do something. 

Hmmm...  I think I actually COULD sit around all day and do only the things that I enjoyed.  For a really long time.  I know that's not a PC thing to say, but I have the idleness gene deeply embedded and would totally love to indulge it.

HOWEVER, even when I'm thinking big in the lottery winnings, the annuities seem to give me generally less than BF & I make a year and I'm already outspending my paycheck.   :-[  (Note to self:  financial management classes.  Soon.)  So I think I'd probably still have to work at SOMETHING.  But I could choose what to do and wouldn't have to make a pay-based decision since I'd have a cushion in there.  I'd totally find a bunch of jobs that were more like play than anything else.

onemagicmummy

• Awesome.
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
If i were to win the whole 90mill on tonights lottery (euromillions) i would
1) buy some land as local as i can, hopefully near the sea
2) build an Ecohouse for our family of 7 with a seperate Grandad Flat for my dad.
3) pay off all our debts
4) learn to drive, and hubby too.
5) get a car we can all fit in
6) set up trust funds for the 5 kids
7) give some to my mum and stepdad, bro, sis, nana, dad and close friends.
8) pay for hubby to get private health care and see if we can get to bottom of whats wrong with him and get him better
9) tummy tuck, i have an overhang from having 5 kids in 8 yrs so yeah, totaly vain i know, but i would want to lose 4stone first.
10) charity, cancer research and Macmillian.
11) Buy/build a vacation home in New England. 
12) take a vacation, a long one to US/Canada. 
13a) check out Summerhill boarding school and find out whihc of hte kids wants to go and send them there for a few terms and see what they think, if the settle i would pay for their entire education and also pay tuition for 1 extra child who cant afford to go.
13b) for the child who doesnt want to go to the boarding school we would carry on our home ed and see about hiring tutors for subjects out side my experiance.
14) tattoos.
15) go to a Convention Jr Bourne is at to meet him and give him a copy of my 2010 NaNo Novel as one of the characters is based on him.
16) get said NaNo published, and other stories i may write.
17) invest some
18) More charity Kids charities, Parkinsons Disease research, etc.
19) new clothes for everyone

thats about it really. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2011, 01:26:11 AM »
I'd want to buy a motorhome and travel.  Then, once we decided where we'd like to retire, buy some land and build our dream house or buy one that's close that's already built.  I'd also see to it that my dad and my in-laws never want for anything and have paid-off mortgages plus upgrades, and then pay for the nieces/nephews to go to college, with a few coins in the direction of the nephew who has already graduated and paid his own way. 

I also want to go to the southern hemisphere on a few extended vacations and stargaze down there.  I've never been that far south since getting hooked on astronomy, and I'd love to see the southern skies.  I also want to see the aurora borealis.   

duhrich

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2011, 01:38:41 PM »
1.    Get debt-free

The rest - not in any specific order.

2.    Set up accounts for my nieces and nephew.
3.    Build a new house (that would have it's own library room) and get our property cleaned up (outbuildings fixed, etc.)
4.    Buy a couple of newer vehicles.
5.    High-speed internet access
6.    New computers
7.    Go back to college and take whatever courses interest me (instead of having to take certain ones for degree)
8.    Set up an account at my childrens' school to provide musical instruments for kids that are interested but can't afford to play.
9.    Set up a scholarship at local university for teachers/school administrators for the continuing ed they are all required to do and have to pay out of pocket.
10.  Set up an annual gift to my church.
11.  Buy my hubby a new tractor, my son a new quad, my other son a newer vehicle.

My goodness, the list can go on and on once you start thinking about it. ;D

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2011, 10:18:24 AM »
Lots of things cross my mind:  Sharing it with the kids and grandkids, setting up an educatonal fund to help our many youngsters in the family further their education, be it college or vocational school, buying a place in the country where we could have an organic garden and go to the Farmer's Market to sell.  Having a studio for doing art and also craft projects, donating to the school art programs, traveling the United States to see our own country, going elsewhere in the world, establishing a dental clinic that would take Medi-cal, especially for children, and an eye clinic, as well, give research grants, donate to charity.    
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:24:36 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
I've thought about what I'd do if I won a big lottery.

In no particular order:
1- new, unlisted phone number
2- fix the wiring in my car
3-fix the wiring in DH's car
4-buy a California King size bed for DH and I (he is 6'6" tall)
5-tummy tuck for me
6-get braces to straighten my teeth
7-buy a house in northwestern NJ so that any member of the Kentucky branch of the family could stay in while visitting the NJ part of the family
8-be able to fly DH and I to wherever DSon is stationed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:32:00 PM by LauraLBW »