Author Topic: Got a stand mixer - now what?!  (Read 2568 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Got a stand mixer - now what?!
« on: December 27, 2006, 05:03:46 PM »
Ok, forgive this stupid question!  But, I got a KitchenAid stand mixer for Christmas.  I've wanted one forever, and I'm so excited to finally have one.  It's gorgeous - red, just what I wanted!

But, the thing is, I don't know what to do with it!  I need some recipes that would use one.  Help me learn how to use it.

sweedetobee

Re: Got a stand mixer - now what?!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:10:42 PM »
Hi,
now you need the ice cream bowl (special bowl that you put in the freezer for 15 hours adn then use with the mixer to make your own ice cream) and pasta maker attachment!!! As you can see I'll help you gain weight ;)

I use my mixer for anything dough related - rolls, pizza dough, etc. and for anything baking related where i'd have to mix in butter (cookies for example) or for whipped cream.

There are many more uses, but I'm really into dessert!

thebadchemist

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:25:46 PM »
I've wanted to pasta maker attachment forever! We have the meat grinder one.

It's a gorgeous gift, Dotty, and you will LOVE it. Use it for EVERYTHING. Whipped cream, meringues, cookies, cakes, breads (the dough hook is fabulous). Even if the recipe simply says "stir X, Y, and Z together" toss it into your mixer and use the "stir" setting.

You can always start with the basic chocolate chip cookie. I have a banana bread recipe that falls into the "stir only" catagory and the mixer cut my prep time in half. My lastest thing has been bread, though. I never made it before and I might never learn to knead, thanks to this. I think cookies are the best place to start... it's like the indoctrination ritual for stand-mixers. You will never mix batter by hand again.

ENJOY! ;D

MrsP81

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 08:46:48 PM »
I always use it to mix batter when I bake.

I also use it when I make potatoes or anything that needs mashing (yams, turnip, etc).

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 11:32:01 PM »
Ok, forgive this stupid question!  But, I got a KitchenAid stand mixer for Christmas.  I've wanted one forever, and I'm so excited to finally have one.  It's gorgeous - red, just what I wanted!

But, the thing is, I don't know what to do with it!  I need some recipes that would use one.  Help me learn how to use it.

I don't have an answer for you, but I want you to know that I am INSANELY jealous!   I'd love a Kitchenaid stand mixer!!!  I have to say congratulations!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 11:19:36 AM »
I MADE COOKIES!!!  I decided the best way to break in my new mixer was with (what else?!) Nestle Toll House Cookies.  I've never made them before, so this was an experience (Mom used to make them all the time when I was young).

Dang, the batter makes a TON of cookies! :D  I have more chocolate chip goodies than I know what to do with.  I have a feeling my neighbors will be getting a little surprise gift.

Oh, and I made them with pasteurized eggs, so I GOT TO EAT THE BATTER, TOO!!!  I haven't done that in YEARS because of my fear of eating raw eggs.  I just can't do it - yes, I know people have done it for years and survived.  I know the risk isn't 100% that I'd get sick.  I know all the arguments for not being concerned about raw eggs.  But, I just can't do it.  But, now I can!!!  I'm hooked on pasteurized ones!

magicdomino

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 11:27:36 AM »
Bread!  The dough hook can knead a blob of bread dough into submission in 5 minutes or less.  Between that and the "bread rise" setting on my oven, making my own whole wheat rolls becomes practical.

The whisk whips egg whites and cream in record time too.  If your mixer didn't come with a second bowl, you might want to invest in one, if only for when you are making something like a chiffon cake, where you fold whipped egg whites into the batter.  With two bowls, you don't have to wash the bowl before proceeding to the next step.

Also, a Kitchenaid stand mixer is strong enough to stand up to the stiffest cookie batters.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 11:34:06 AM »
Also, a Kitchenaid stand mixer is strong enough to stand up to the stiffest cookie batters.

When I was making the batter, the motor sounded like it was struggling a bit.  Is this a normal sound?  I didn't think what I was doing was all that thick, but it wasn't just whipping around the bowl like I expected.  Maybe I had it at too low a speed?

I'm glad I checked my instruction book.  I was about to use the wrong attachment for the batter!  I have a lot to learn about this thing!

mumma to KMC

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »
First of all, hug your mixer. Tuck it in to bed each night and give it lots of affection!

I would say that I am far from materialistic and when dh got me a stand mixer for our wedding anniversary, I couldn't stop gushing over it.

As far as what to do with it. I mix a lot of bread dough with mine. If yours came with a cookbook, try the honey oat bread or the French bread, both delish.

Good luck and happy cooking!!

Gileswench

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 11:50:48 AM »
Lucky Dotty G!

My KitchenAid Stand mixer is one of my most prized possessions.

Bake bread! Whip cream! Make cakes and cookies!

Really, the bread hook is just out of this world.

Most of all, enjoy your mixer. These suckers do the job right and they're built to last. My father's outlive him!

behindbj

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »

Great news!  They are the best thing ever.

I second the ice cream attachment.  It is very, very dangerous.  I spent the summer making full-fat, full-cream, full-sugar gelato.  It was just ugly.

Suggestions for you?  How about poundcake - and not that sissy low-fat, no-sugar stuff that I should be eating, either!

Oops - did that imply that I want a poundcake when you make one?  It did?  Good.

Enjoy!

behindbj 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »
(Asking even more stupid questions, but I need to know!)

So, is there like a cookbook or something that I could get to tell me what to use it for?  I love y'all's suggestions, but I don't know the first thing about how to utilize my new toy with what y'all are recommending.

Did I mention that I'm just now trying to start cooking more?  I'm finally in a place with a decent kitchen and am trying to learn to cook some of the things I've never been able to try before.

dawbs

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 03:37:31 PM »
actually, yes, there is a cookbook...I haven't used them myself (I tend to stick with my grandma's old church cookbooks :-), so I can't vouch, but consider these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0778801241/ref=pd_cp_b_title/102-8979962-7541758

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Recipes-Make-Stand-Mixer/dp/0811834794/ref=pd_sim_b_2/102-8979962-7541758

Gileswench

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »
(raises hand)

Please, Miss, I'd be happy to come give you a tutorial.

Then again, I think I might have to survive a stampede of stand mixer loving eHellions to do it! So it might be safer for all concerned if you look into one of the cookbooks dawbs suggested. :D

kckgirl

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 08:21:42 PM »
Congratulations, Dotty! I'm jealous, but happy for you.
Maryland