Etiquette School is in session! > "So kind of you to take an interest."

At the Pharmacy

(1/4) > >>

BeagleMommy:
Background:  I've been using the same brand of blood glucose monitor since I was about 14 years old.  Recently, I got the latest model.  It works beautifully and is, in my opinion, the best one on the market.  About two months after purchasing the new model, my insurance decided not to pay for the supplies for this brand.  DH and I discussed switching brands, but I felt this was the best option for me so we pay for the supplies ourselves.  It is not a financial hardship and we can deduct the cost from our taxes.  End background

I stopped on the way home the other day to pick up a box of test strips and stopped at a pharmacy I don't usually go to because, frankly I was too lazy to drive to my usual pharmacy.  Here's the conversation:

Me:  I'd like a box of test strips for Brand A, please.
Pharmacist:  Don't you submit these to your insurance?
Me:  No, my insurance won't pay for it.
P:  Have you considered using Brand B?
Me:  Yes, but I prefer Brand A.
D:  Well, Brand B's strips are only $15.00.
Me:  I have Brand A.  Brand B strips won't work in it.
P:  They'll let you use their monitor for 30 days to see if you like it.
Me:  I have a monitor that I like.  Please just let me get the strips I like.

He huffed a bit, but gave me the strips I requested.  I was about to ask if he was getting a commission from Brand B.  What say you, did I handle myself well?

Yvaine:
You did fine. The pharmacist was pushy.

suzieQ:
Was brand B the store brand? I've never heard of the major brands having test strips that cheap.
I think you did fine. If it was me, I would have just thought "he means well and is trying to save me money".

ddawn23:

--- Quote from: BeagleMommy on March 15, 2011, 10:02:46 PM ---I was about to ask if he was getting a commission from Brand B.
--- End quote ---

That was VERY obnoxious of him, but I do think he was sincerely trying to save you money.  Now, if you'd asked for the $15 brand and he'd tried to get you to buy the expensive one, then I'd suspect some payola.

Yvaine:
I'll bet it was both. He probably did want to save you money--but if it was the store brand, a lot of pharmacists own their own store and I bet he gets a better profit margin off the store brand. Not an unreasonable suggestion in itself, but he shouldn't have gotten huffy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version