Author Topic: At the Pharmacy  (Read 12462 times)

BeagleMommy

At the Pharmacy
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »
Background:  I've been using the same brand of blood glucose monitor since I was about 14 years old.  Recently, I got the latest model.  It works beautifully and is, in my opinion, the best one on the market.  About two months after purchasing the new model, my insurance decided not to pay for the supplies for this brand.  DH and I discussed switching brands, but I felt this was the best option for me so we pay for the supplies ourselves.  It is not a financial hardship and we can deduct the cost from our taxes.  End background

I stopped on the way home the other day to pick up a box of test strips and stopped at a pharmacy I don't usually go to because, frankly I was too lazy to drive to my usual pharmacy.  Here's the conversation:

Me:  I'd like a box of test strips for Brand A, please.
Pharmacist:  Don't you submit these to your insurance?
Me:  No, my insurance won't pay for it.
P:  Have you considered using Brand B?
Me:  Yes, but I prefer Brand A.
D:  Well, Brand B's strips are only $15.00.
Me:  I have Brand A.  Brand B strips won't work in it.
P:  They'll let you use their monitor for 30 days to see if you like it.
Me:  I have a monitor that I like.  Please just let me get the strips I like.

He huffed a bit, but gave me the strips I requested.  I was about to ask if he was getting a commission from Brand B.  What say you, did I handle myself well?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: At the Pharmacy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:11:05 PM »
You did fine. The pharmacist was pushy.

suzieQ

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »
Was brand B the store brand? I've never heard of the major brands having test strips that cheap.
I think you did fine. If it was me, I would have just thought "he means well and is trying to save me money".

ddawn23

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:17:45 PM »
I was about to ask if he was getting a commission from Brand B.

That was VERY obnoxious of him, but I do think he was sincerely trying to save you money.  Now, if you'd asked for the $15 brand and he'd tried to get you to buy the expensive one, then I'd suspect some payola.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:43:54 AM »
I'll bet it was both. He probably did want to save you money--but if it was the store brand, a lot of pharmacists own their own store and I bet he gets a better profit margin off the store brand. Not an unreasonable suggestion in itself, but he shouldn't have gotten huffy.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »
Was brand B the store brand? I've never heard of the major brands having test strips that cheap.
I think you did fine. If it was me, I would have just thought "he means well and is trying to save me money".

Nope.  It was a brand for a different monitor and a different company.  Completely incompatible with my monitor.  I wish these things came in generic.  I can't complain about my insurance because in the 10 years I've had it this is the first thing they've refused.  I have a feeling it was an introductory price to try to get you to use their monitor.  I can't say for sure, though.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
I think you were fine. The pharmacist was pushy. I would've been very tempted to say Funny, I didn't ask you for your opinion.

Ed.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 04:02:43 PM »
I think you were fine. The pharmacist was pushy. I would've been very tempted to say Funny, I didn't ask you for your opinion.

Ed.

Master Edward, believe me, that though rang through my head as well.  Now, no matter how lazy I'm feeling, I just go to my regular pharmacy where they just let me buy what I need.

irish1

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
Excellent response and well done for being so polite! I quite like a once-off 'these ones are cheaper and just as good', it's nice to get a heads-up if you weren't aware, but after that it's time to drop it. He also comes off as prying a bit, does anyone think the same?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »
I think he may have gone a bit overboard, but I would not call it obnoxious.  Many conscientious pharmacists do want to help their customers save money.

However, I really do not think that he was prying.  Pharmacists do sometimes have to ask sensitive questions.  That is why there is often a sign asking people who are lining up to stay a certain distance away from the counter.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »
I can understand him asking up through telling you the price.  I'm pretty cheap though, lol.  :P

Honestly, he probably should have stopped when you mentioned preferring Brand A.  That implies that you're not ignorant of the options and needs no further discussion.

irish1

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 05:57:25 PM »
kareng57 - I suppose pharmacists must have to ask personal questions sometimes, but I always thought these would be about your health. I guess asking about a patient's insurance policy seems like it's none of his business to me, but it could certainly be worse!

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
kareng57 - I suppose pharmacists must have to ask personal questions sometimes, but I always thought these would be about your health. I guess asking about a patient's insurance policy seems like it's none of his business to me, but it could certainly be worse!

Where I am - although we have public health-insurance, most people don't have prescription-drug coverage unless they have an Extended plan, usually through their employer.  So if the pharmacist knows that there's a less expensive, but equally effective, alternative, it's not at all uncommon for he/she to ask the patient about about coverage.  I've never heard of anyone thinking it's none of the pharmacists's business.

irish1

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 07:34:45 PM »

Where I am - although we have public health-insurance, most people don't have prescription-drug coverage unless they have an Extended plan, usually through their employer.  So if the pharmacist knows that there's a less expensive, but equally effective, alternative, it's not at all uncommon for he/she to ask the patient about about coverage.  I've never heard of anyone thinking it's none of the pharmacists's business.

Yeah I guess it varies place to place. That was just my impression and it wasn't a very strongly formed one.

inna.minnit

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
If you hadn't known that you could possibly get a different monitor and supplies for le$$ you would have appreciated the information.  I think he was just trying to do his job. I'd cut him some slack.