Author Topic: Potluck etiquette  (Read 2076 times)

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
Potluck etiquette
« on: June 28, 2007, 05:25:27 PM »
Short and simple question here - when you bring a guest to a potluck that you have been invited to (and have full permission from the host to bring a guest), do both you and the guest bring an item, or just the invitee?

melodrama

Re: Potluck etiquette
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 05:32:08 PM »
I'd say just the invitee needs to bring a dish, although if the guest wanted to bring soda/beer/wine or something like candy that everyone could share I think that would be nice but not required.

ProperLady

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 05:34:27 PM »
This is tricky, because you have to figure that couples are invited, and if DH and I were invited to a potluck, we wouldn't bring two items.  However, if I were the guest of the guest, I'd want to bring at least a little something, because that would feel right to me. Or, you and your guest could pool your resources and do something nice, like a meat dish or a more expensive item.  I'm not sure what the actual rules are, but this is what I would do.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 05:37:09 PM »
I usually have just brought something as I was the invitee, but then I started wondering if I was committing a slight 'quette faux pas by not having my guest bring something, too. One time years ago, I brought two guests to a potluck thing, so I did ask one of the guests to bring something as well as my bringing something, because I figured with bringing two people, it would only be fair for one more item.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »
Generally, I will have bring two things if I am bringing someone extra. I will increase the proportion of my original dish, and bring either cookies or chips or something like that so there isn't an extra, empty-handed, person.

loopey2u

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 06:59:07 PM »
I'd bring an extra dish also.  It doesn't have to be large or expensive, just something to show that you're not walking in empty handed.

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:36:09 AM »
Here the invitee would bring a larger dish or 2 dishes  or both to share and make sure that the guest they brought with them had everything they needed.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 08:27:38 PM »
If the two of you are arriving together (as a unit, so to speak), then you need only bring one dish as the contribution from both of you. If you're already bringing a casserole, for example, there's no reason for your friend to bring one too.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 11:03:37 PM »
I'd say only the originally invited guest is obligated to bring something, although it's nice for their guest to bring at least a host/ess gift as well.

Alternatively, the two guests could make a joint contribution.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

likiak

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 05:16:40 PM »
I would play it safe and bring an extra dish or something. So, both you and your guest are not empty handed. Also, you wouldn't worry too much about it.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 04:24:38 AM »
For our Canadian club potlucks, a couple only bring one dish btwn the two of them. 

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 03:21:59 PM »
For our Canadian club potlucks, a couple only bring one dish btwn the two of them. 

That's exactly along the lines I was thinking.