Author Topic: The filter's gone nutty  (Read 6377 times)

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Re: The filter's gone nutty
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »
I must confess...it IS getting really, really annoying. :P
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
It's extremely annoying. That's why I wondered if anyone had already let the moderators know.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »
I checked earlier and just checked again, there are none online.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I think the alert sends them an email, though. I'd do it myself, but I'm on my phone, and the mobile site doesn't have an alert button.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 03:17:59 PM »
I was wondering about shatzie, earlier...at least it isn't changing names, too.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
It's extremely annoying. That's why I wondered if anyone had already let the moderators know.

Done.  :)

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 03:23:23 PM »
I for one am leaving this site until that ridiculous poopadities is cleared up.  How utterly childish.

Um OK   :-\

Threepenny was joking.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 03:25:10 PM »
Thanks, Courtney. :D

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
It should be fixed now. It's because we added an * to a swear word in the filter (you can probably figure out which one.) and, unfortunately, the forum software interprets that as a wildcard. Now that it's fixed, all threads should go back to normal. Unfortunately, this also means that people can continue to get around the filter by putting a * in a certain swear word.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:36:14 PM by Ticia »
Utah

threepenny

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »
I for one am leaving this site until that ridiculous poopadities is cleared up.  How utterly childish.

Threepenny was joking.

I WAS joking... thanks for getting that one!

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 10:30:36 AM »

Threepenny was joking.

I WAS joking... thanks for getting that one!
:D 8)

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 06:55:37 PM »
It should be fixed now. It's because we added an * to a swear word in the filter (you can probably figure out which one.) and, unfortunately, the forum software interprets that as a wildcard. Now that it's fixed, all threads should go back to normal. Unfortunately, this also means that people can continue to get around the filter by putting a * in a certain swear word.

Hi Ticia,

I tried looking through the Simple Machine's documentation for how they work their wildcards, but couldn't get anything there.  If you, or EHellDame can get some info, we may be able to make the filter more powerful.  The question is this: Does SMF (or the theme) use regular expressions for bad word matching?  If yes, what flavor of RE?

As an experiment, try putting a back-slash in the word before the asterisk:   As in 'sh\*t'.  Another experiment is to use a period:  sh.t and see if that matches only four-letter combinations (if that works, it'll still break shut, but we can work from there.)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »

Hi Ticia,

I tried looking through the Simple Machine's documentation for how they work their wildcards, but couldn't get anything there.  If you, or EHellDame can get some info, we may be able to make the filter more powerful.  The question is this: Does SMF (or the theme) use regular expressions for bad word matching?  If yes, what flavor of RE?

As an experiment, try putting a back-slash in the word before the asterisk:   As in 'sh\*t'.  Another experiment is to use a period:  sh.t and see if that matches only four-letter combinations (if that works, it'll still break shut, but we can work from there.)

Hey, Art, the odd thing is, is that the word sh  *t  (with the asterisk) has been in the word filter for years.  Why it is acting up now is a mystery.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 12:42:32 AM »

Hi Ticia,

Hey, Art, the odd thing is, is that the word sh  *t  (with the asterisk) has been in the word filter for years.  Why it is acting up now is a mystery.
Was the forum software recently updated?  On another forum where I mod new software updates occasionally commit weirdnesses.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 06:28:26 AM »
Nope, forum software hasn't been updated in a few months.  I usually warn everyone when that happens because sometimes the mod apps don't sync with the latest update and there are those odd malfunctions.