Author Topic: Non meat burgers recipes....  (Read 1290 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Non meat burgers recipes....
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:34:48 AM »
We have been trying to eat healthier and have non meat days.  And on a budget.

I have made both black bean burgers and split pea burgers.  Both were delicious and family loved them.

I also tried a zucchini version too but it fell apart on me.

I would like to try other variations.  Do you have a favorite recipe?  

The split pea one I made a few days ago, super easy.

Bag of spit peas, drained and picked over for rocks/stuff.

Place in a pot, cover with at least 3 inches of water above the beans and set it on high to bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat to medium and let it cook for an hour or till tender.  I added a bay leaf.  Don't salt.  (hardens beans and won't soften)

Now here it is where it comes to its to your flavor profile.  I am spanish so I made it spanish flavored.

I added pinch of saffron to the water with the split peas while it is cooking.

Diced finely the following:

one onion
half of red pepper
2 cloves of garlic

Seasonings:
Tsp of each:
garlic powder
Oregano
Onion powder

1/2 Tsp of
Cumin
Salt
Pepper

Tablespoon of Tomato Paste (I use the tube for ease)
Package of sazon goya con azafaron.  (it is a Goya brand box of seasoning packages sold in the mexican aisle.  If you don't have it, it is okay)

In a saute pan, saute onions in EVOO till soft.  Then add peppers, saute till soft.  Add garlic and all the seasonings and tomato paste.  Cook for about 3 minutes.  Turn off and set aside.  This is sofrito.

When split peas are done, drain thoroughly and remove bay leaf.  Pour into a food processor and add sofrito.   I added handful of cilantro.  Totally optional.

Puree till somewhat smooth.  Remove blade, stir in 1/2 cup to 1 cup of bread crumbs to thicken the mixture till it is formeable and it is like thick peanut butter.  

Refrigerate for 30 minutes and form into patties.  Brown in hot EVOO till browned on both sides.  Only flip once.  Then serve on burger bun with favorite toppings.  We did sliced avocado and lime.  

The basics of this recipe is the split pea and the bread crumbs to thicken.  Everything else can be changed to suit you.  Add a package of ranch dressing.  Or add worcheshire, onion, garlic and montreal pepper to make it like a steakhouse burger flavor.  Etc
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:37:59 AM by Zilla »

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Non meat burgers recipes....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »
My son loves the lentil patties (first recipe) - i prefer the mushroom ones (second recipe):

vegetarian patties /loaf
===================

please bear in mind that i am a 'little bit of this, little bit of that' type of cook.

take one cup of red lentils, pick over, wash, and let them soak while you prepare the rest of the recipe.

meanwhile: fry one onion in a small amount of oil (i grate the onion bec some people are such babies about onions...)
 you can add other vegetables to the onion (celery, mushroom, carrot).
let them fry for about 10 minutes, stirring occassionally, on med. flame. then add 2 cups of water, spices (black pepper, garlic, cumin, but no salt) and bring to a boil. add the lentils plus one grated sweet potato. bring to second boil , lower flame, and then cover and let it cook till most of the water is absorbed (takes about 20-30 minutes). the mixture will turn a brownish-orange color. let it cool, then add some bread crumbs. at this point i usually refrigerate till the next day. the mixture should be stiff.

for patties: beat one egg in one bowl. pour about 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and 1/2 cup of cornmeal into another bowl (or just cornmeal or just bread crumbs). make patties, dip in egg then bread crumbs and then fry or bake on oiled pan till golden. you can freeze these.

for loaf: add one egg to mixture and turn into oiled bread pan, sprinkle cornmeal on top (optional), and  bake for about 40 -60 minutes till golden. slice. can also be frozen

"Meatballs," Vegetarian (P, KLP, TNT)
Source: Vegetarian Times / from Jewishfood-list.com
Yield: 20 to 22 meatless balls (about 7 servings of 3 balls each)
- i make these as patties

1/4 cup carrot, chopped
2 cups white mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
2 tbsp. yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tbsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 large egg
3 large egg whites
1 cup matzo meal or more if needed
Salt, to taste
6 cups prepared marinara sauce

In food processor, finely chop carrot. Add remaining vegetables and garlic and chop to a fine paste, scraping down sides of work bowl several times.

In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add processed vegetables, parsley and black pepper; sauté until soft, approximately 7 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.

In large bowl, beat egg and egg whites together until blended, approximately 30 seconds. Add vegetable mixture to eggs; mix until combined. Stirring constantly, add matzo meal slowly, adding only enough to form a mixture that can be shaped into balls. Using wet hands, shape mixture into balls, using about 1-1/2 tbsp. mixture per ball.

Balls can be frozen at this point or simmered in sauce for 30 minutes. Alternatively, balls can be baked in the oven on a baking sheet at 325°F for 40 minutes and served with sauce.

Publisher's Notes:
It took some sleuthing, but our East Coast spies got the recipe for the meatless balls served at kosher dairy restaurants. Matzo meal, sold in the kosher foods section of your local supermarket, adds a density that's reminiscent of traditional meatballs.

Posted by Judy Sennesh

Nutritional Info Per Serving: 238 Calories; 8g Protein; 10g Total Fat (2G Saturated Fat); 34g Carbohydrates; 35mg Cholesterol; 786mg Sodium; 1g Fiber

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sweetgirl

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
Bean and Corn Burgers Recipe:Ingredients
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic.
1 can white beans.
1 can pinto beans.
1/2 can cornsalt and pepper to taste.
oil.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sautee the cut onions in a little bit of oil in a pot (preferably not a non-stick pot) until they just start to turn golden brown. Add the finely chopped garlic and sautee an additional minute. Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the burner. Drain both cans of beans and add them to the pot.mash and blend the beans, onions, and garlic. (If your pot is a non-stick pot, you will probably want to transfer the beans, onions, and garlic to a large bowl before blending them in order to not damage your pot. If you don't have a hand blender, transfer the beans, onions, and garlic to a food processor to mash and blend them.) Next add the well-drained corn to the bean mixture. Stir well. Form into patties and place on a greased oven-safe pan or cookie sheet. Spray the tops lightly with olive oil, and bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes. (Check them ever so often and remove them from the oven sooner if they start to look done (with a thin crust on the top.) Turn them over and return them to the oven for about 10 to 15 more minutes. Serve with salsa or sauce.

Mushroom burger
Ingredients:
2 tbsp vegetable oil.
1 onion, diced.
1 clove garlic, minced.
3 green onions, diced.
1/2 tsp cumin.
3/4 cup diced fresh mushrooms.
1 15 ounce can pinto beans.
1 tsp parsley.
salt and pepper to taste.
oil

Sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Add the green onions, cumin and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked. Set aside. Mash the beans.Add the mushrooms to the beans and add parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Shape the mixture into patties. Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil and cook each patty until the veggie burgers are done, about 3 minutes on each side.

Zucchini Parmesan Burgers

Ingredients
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (not pre-grated, preferably)
2 yellow squash
2 zucchini
1 egg
Italian seasoning (or individual herbs or your choice)
pepper, to taste
salt

Directions
Cut a small amount of the Parmesan cheese off of the block of cheese and whirl it around in your food processor (or grate it by hand). Remove the cheese and place in a small bowl or measuring cup. Cut off the ends of the zucchini and yellow squash and process them in the food processor. (You can use the grater blade, or the regular blade.) Carefully remove the blade and sprinkle salt on top of the grated or finely chopped squash. Wait about ten minutes. While you are waiting, place a piece of parchment paper on top of your cookie sheet., and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

The salt should cause excess water to be pulled out of the squash. Pour off this excess water (it's good for using in soups). Scoop up a handful of squash and squeeze it with your hands to remove as much water as you can. Place the squeezed squash on a plate or in a bowl. Continue the process until all the squash has been squeezed. OR, for a more effective method, pour the squash into a strainer. Put the strainer over a bowl, and press down on the squash so that the liquid flows into the bowl below.After you've removed as much water as you can, put the squash back into the rinsed food processor bowl. Add the egg, cheese, Italian seasoning ,and pepper. Stir well. Form into patties and bake on cookie sheet (on top of parchment paper) in the oven. (If your mixture is too wet to form into patties, just plop piles onto the cookie sheet and flatten somewhat with the back of a spoon.) Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes, until the patties become more firm. Flip over and cook until they have golden brown spots on the bottom (around 20 minutes). If you would like, flip them one more time for about five minutes, until both sides are speckled golden brown! Serve.

Jensy

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »
This isn't a recipe, but one thing we have tried is portabella mushrooms marinated in balsamic dressing. Very tasty if you like mushrooms and you don't have to worry about it falling apart.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:19:22 AM »

For the zucchini ones - it's not quite a burger, but squashes and grated vegetables can make very nice patties in a potato-pancake fashion. Grate the raw vegetables, including some grated onion, season with salt and pepper and whatever spices you want and mix with beaten egg and some flour to bind it together.  Pan fry in oil until crispy and brown, flipping once.

I think these would be too delicate to eat as a burger patty, but they're delicious.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:28:02 PM »
This isn't a recipe, but one thing we have tried is portabella mushrooms marinated in balsamic dressing. Very tasty if you like mushrooms and you don't have to worry about it falling apart.

IT,T,T,A!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Figgie

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »
Here's a recipe for Walnut Burgers.  The restaurant in the area that makes them as a specialty item and now sells them frozen at a local grocery store, gave me the recipe many years before they started selling them that way.

Walnut Burgers

1 cup walnuts
2 cups oatmeal
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup ground onion and garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon seasoned salt
Oil

Grind up walnuts in food processor until they form a paste and place in medium mixing bowl.  Scrape out food processor bowl and grind up enough onion to make approximately one cup.  Mix together walnut paste, ground onion and minced garlic (I use about three cloves), the two large eggs, slightly beaten and a tablespoon of seasoned salt (I use Lawry's Seasoned Salt).

Form into patties that are fairly thin, but thick enough to hold together.  Fry in the oil in a non-stick frying pan.  I usually put on salt and pepper to taste while frying.  They stay warm on a tray in the oven until you need them.  My family eats them just like hamburgers with onions, pickles, ketchup and buns.

Mikayla

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
This was going to be my suggestion.  We're marinated them in balsamic vinegar and also in worcestershire sauce.  The second one actually tasted like steak, because the mushrooms already have a somewhat "steak" consistency.  I guess it's more steak sandwich than burger, but soooo yummy.

smithburt21

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 12:23:26 AM »
The sounds of mushroom and sauce are just bang on. My mother is big foodies. But she ever like to make veggies dish. She has baked black bean burger yesterday. Which was really tasty and delicious.