Author Topic: Distractingly Large Signatures/Images in Signatures  (Read 5187 times)

noexitwounds

• She of the Radically Different Perspective
  • I have a plan. I just haven't thought of it yet.
Distractingly Large Signatures/Images in Signatures
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:42:41 PM »
I've noticed lately that there's a trend of images in signatures getting larger and larger/more images being added/etc. which means that there's a ton more scrolling that has to be done even on comments that are literally one line of text. Additionally, sometimes these images are being stacked on each other so even if they alone are a reasonable size you end up with six hundred pixels of scrolling. It also significantly increases the loading time of different pages.

This is very frustrating because of how distracting it is (to the point it's sometimes hard to find the actual comment in short comments with long signatures) and how much time it takes to both scroll through the images and load them. I feel pretty comfortable asserting I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Currently there's no limitation on the size an image can be in your signature (I tested with a wallpaper sized image a minute ago) so often images are this size or larger*:

*This image alone in 1.6MB, which can take up to two minutes to load for someone on dial-up or low-speed broadband.

Basically, I was wondering if there's a possibility a limitation could be added. A pretty standard limitation is 300x100 as shown below because while it allows for a decent sized image it doesn't require a ton of scrolling.

You can also require images be placed together (to a reasonable amount) rather than stacked as you can see there's a big difference between this:

and this:

I'm hoping that the mods will at least consider adding some sort of limit because it really feels like signatures are getting out of control. And if some limitation were added I'd be happy to make a bald Ticia signature image in the appropriate size (I do professional graphic design so I feel pretty secure I could make a nice one).
Did you know that cats can make one thousand different sounds and dogs can only make ten? Cats, man. Not to be trusted. -- Jake Jensen, The Losers

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: Distractingly Large Signatures/Images in Signatures
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
I like the size suggestion.  Are you aware that there is a way to stop signatures from displaying? 

POF

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:00:07 PM »
Funny you should mention that ... I kept wondering why I didn't see signatures.... duh ... I turned them off.

noexitwounds

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
I like the size suggestion.  Are you aware that there is a way to stop signatures from displaying? 

I am but I also like following tickies or use certain images to identify certain posts in signatures. If all else fails I'm willing and able to turn off signatures (did it once and then forgot I did it not too long ago even) but I was hoping there might be a middle ground, KWIM?
Did you know that cats can make one thousand different sounds and dogs can only make ten? Cats, man. Not to be trusted. -- Jake Jensen, The Losers

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:01:01 PM »
There is already a size restriction in place. From the Forum rules:

Because monstrously huge sigs terribly inconvenience our members on dial-up, sig size is restricted in size to 400 pixels by 170 pixels or less.  Video sig files are not permitted.

Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »
Funny you should mention that ... I kept wondering why I didn't see signatures.... duh ... I turned them off.

I have them turned off too. Clicking on someone's name will bring you to their profile where you can view them, if you wish.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »

I am but I also like following tickies or use certain images to identify certain posts in signatures. If all else fails I'm willing and able to turn off signatures (did it once and then forgot I did it not too long ago even) but I was hoping there might be a middle ground, KWIM?

I totally understand.  I like to see the sigs and I like clicking on things sometimes and looking at esty stores or dragons, but I have noticed the problem in your OP as well.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
There is a sig size limitations in the forum rules, but not the forum software. If anyone goes over the size limit, I usually remove the sig and pm them to explain why and offer to help them resize it. While I appreciate the offer of help, my sig does fall within forum rules. Thanks!
Utah

noexitwounds

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 07:58:13 PM »
There is already a size restriction in place. From the Forum rules:Because monstrously huge sigs terribly inconvenience our members on dial-up, sig size is restricted in size to 400 pixels by 170 pixels or less.  Video sig files are not permitted.

I did find for signatures, not sigs, which is why I didn't find the rule. I do think that a smaller restriction should be considered as 170px is still fairly large in comparison to other images on the board like avatars/icons and there should be a maximum number of graphics/stacking restriction if the current wording doesn't cover it. And I've seen many, many signatures I know exceed 170px or have animations -- not necessarily videos but those animated dragons are just as inconvenient size-wise, especially when there's 12 of them in a single signature. It doesn't seem like this is a heavily moderated concern.

Now that I know there is an official ruling I could start reporting signatures which exceed the 400x170 limitation. From the wording it appears that this is a maximum size limitation so two images which are, say 300x100 stacked on top of each other would exceed the limit because the signature would be 300x200 total.

Could a moderator weigh on if this is correct and 400x170 is a total size limit rather than a per image size limit?

Could a moderator also weigh in on the position on posting multiple animated dragons?

ETA: Yes, I realize that the simple option is just to hide the signatures. I also think, though, that this is the sort of thing that effects more members than just me so while my hiding the signatures fixes the problem for me, sorta (save the fact I'm now hiding the signatures that aren't gigantic and have links to things like blogs and user webpages), it's not going to fix it for the other people who are frustrated by this sort of thing.

But maybe I'm wrong and most people don't care. I don't know. I do think that 400x170 is excessive because of the reality of what if every post on a page in a thread has a 400x170 image? It's not excessive for a single post but it's a matter of being distracting, confusing, etc. when a bunch of people who all have the max (or more) post on the same thread.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:02:02 PM by noexitwounds »

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »
Please report any signatures that are too large and we will take steps to fix them. There's been no ruling on posting multiple animated dragons, but if you have a link to someone who has this in their sig, I'll take a look. I honestly haven't seen any that are too annoying.
Utah

Cuddlepie

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »
Maybe I'm guilty or may I wasn't.  My sig only contained words and I did wonder if it was too long.  No-one reads long sigs anyway, do they?   ;D

My second choice is now in place.  :)

noexitwounds

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »
Please report any signatures that are too large and we will take steps to fix them. There's been no ruling on posting multiple animated dragons, but if you have a link to someone who has this in their sig, I'll take a look. I honestly haven't seen any that are too annoying.

Okay. The main problem I've found is too long, in the range of 200-300px. Like the little Yahoo! Avatars that you can design to look like you are 150x235.

Maybe I'm guilty or may I wasn't.  My sig only contained words and I did wonder if it was too long.  No-one reads long sigs anyway, do they? ;D My second choice is now in place.  :)

I think long text signatures are much less of an issue because text loads faster, KWIM? At least IMO. I like your new sig though.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
I probably should have added, we don't make a big deal about Yahoo Avatars. They're taller rather than wider, and we don't care. Please don't report Yahoo Avatars.
Utah

noexitwounds

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
I probably should have added, we don't make a big deal about Yahoo Avatars. They're taller rather than wider, and we don't care. Please don't report Yahoo Avatars.

I don't understand that. Y!Avatars break the rules -- they're taller than the allowed amount. They're exactly the sort of images that increase scrolling and loading time. I won't report them if that's what you want but they do break the rules.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »
We are not ultra strict about the sig rules. They're mostly in place if someone gets a monstrously huge sig, so we can point to the rules and say "Please try to keep it under the size limitations."

From this thread

For instance, the yahoo avatars are all over the 170 rule, but way under the 400. So we let it slide.

So, basically, don't worry about it too much. Wink

Try to keep it around 170 by 400, though.

also:

I wasn't sure about the ticker question, so I asked Jeanne. She says "the total space for anything in the sig should be 170ish by 400 for everything combined.  "

And with that, I'm closing the thread. There's really nothing to be argued about anymore. We're not ultra strict on the size limit, yahoo avatars are allowed, and if you see any monstrously huge sigs, please report them or send me a private message.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:31:28 PM by Ticia »
Utah