News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 20, 2018, 05:11:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to make a shooter's sandwich  (Read 5001 times)

bobsyouruncle

Re: How to make a shooter's sandwich
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »
Oh WOW this looks so delicious!  I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 01:19:07 PM »
I want this sandwich, but I'm allergic to mushrooms. Can anyone think of a good substitution? Maybe a sweet vidalia onion?
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
I think the onion would be a fine substitute - especially if it got nice and caramelized during the cooking!

Red1979

• it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 01:45:33 PM »
I think the onion would be a fine substitute - especially if it got nice and caramelized during the cooking!

I bet peppers would work well too.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »
Mmmmm.......going to try it tonight with onions AND peppers!
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
Ok.. I made one!!  :)  Here we go...

Assembled ingredients.  I only used one of the steaks and the mushrooms were baby portabellas.

Steaks cooked, bread hollowed out, mushrooms, onions and garlic sauteed

Steak tucked into the bread bowl

Bread bowl stuffed with the mushrooms and the other steak, and I put extra dijon with horseradish all around  tucked into the sides.  I also smeared the top with the dijon/horseradish

All wrapped up and weighted down.   I used butcher paper and freezer tape, since I didn't have the string.  I weighted it down with a plate and a brick.  Yes, a brick.  :)  It's now in the fridge.

Best way to see if your stove is really clean?  Take pictures and post them for the world to see.  *sigh*

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 04:47:29 PM »
Can't wait to hear how it tasted!!!!

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »

That's awesome!  I would love to see a picture of the finished product cut into wedges, pretty please. 

I'm waiting for a picnic or hike to make this.  Wouldn't it be great picnic food, eaten on a blanket next to a pond, with fruit and a nice glass of Cabernet?  I'm drooling...
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »

That's awesome!  I would love to see a picture of the finished product cut into wedges, pretty please. 

I'm waiting for a picnic or hike to make this.  Wouldn't it be great picnic food, eaten on a blanket next to a pond, with fruit and a nice glass of Cabernet?  I'm drooling...

I will definitely take pictures when I cut it.  It was really easy to make and went together fast.  The tricky part was wrapping and taping.  I didn't want to flip it over, so had my son hold it while I taped it.

I showed my mom via chat and she said "It says to leave it on the counter..."  She does that.  She'll leave leftovers out on the counter overnight for at least 12 hours.    I told her "YOU do that.  I'm the OCD one, remember?  It is IN THE FRIDGE being pressed down  with my Columbian Brick."

Yes, the brick very clearly says "Columbia."  :D
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 05:06:03 PM »
That looks amazing, and I don't even like mushrooms.

I wonder if leaving it out for about an hour and then putting it in the fridge would work.  I'm not to freaked out about food-born illness, but six hours seems like tempting fate.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »
It's actually settling down a bit.  I'll take it out of the fridge in about an hour and squish it down some more.    I am really looking forward to slicing it open!!

R_Suerte

• The more we think we know about, greater the unknown.
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:20 PM »

Wait, you're supposed to cut that?! :) Looks really good.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 01:42:16 AM »
WOW! Now I really want one!!
No matter where you go, there you are...

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
Re: How to make a shooter's sandwich FINISHED PHOTO
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 02:32:34 PM »
I let it sit overnight in the fridge.  I squished it down a few times. 

my recommendations... cut the steak into smaller pieces and push out to the edge of the bread bowl.  It may make for easier eating.  Really REALLY drain the mushrooms well.  My bread got kind of soggy and I detest soggy bread.    Be generous with the horseradish and dijon, and even put some in the bottom of the bread bowl under the steak and around the edges.

All in all, it's good.  I would make it for a party or a picnic if I wanted to impress people.  Otherwise it's a lot of work for a sandwich.  Make it today and don't eat it until tomorrow.

Still, it's good.  I like steak and it's a nice sandwich.  I used the smaller bread bowl and cut this into quarters.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
Nice!  Thank you.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys