Author Topic: Used This Exact Phrase!  (Read 19431 times)

The Wild One, Forever

Used This Exact Phrase!
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »
The other day at work, a friend/co-worker said to me, "You should straighten your hair."  I know that sleek, straight hair is "in", and my curls are not really stylish, but I love my hair just as the Good Lord gave me and have no interest in ruining it in the name of fashion.  So, I said this to her, and she backed off really quickly, told me I have very pretty hair, etc. 

It's nice to have a polite phrase at my ready for situations like this, and good to know that it can be so effective.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Used This Exact Phrase!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
I also have curly hair.  The only time I get it straightened is when I get it cut.  You did great!  I think I'd be more likely to say, 'When you come over to straighten it for me, I'm in!'

I can't physically keep my arms up that high for the amount of time it takes to straighten my hair without severe pain so it just isn't happening.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

toontownnutter

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »
Well done ;D I just usually say "it'd be nice to have the time to be able to straighten it" :-[ Seriously who has the time to spend doing that?

Shiraz_Much?

• formerly celtic1973
  • Good wine is a necessity of life for me -Jefferson
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
Honestly, I'm not sure why you would want to do that.  I wish I had curly hair....mine is stick straight.  Embrace your curls ladies...they are gorgeous! LOL

New York
My soul is adrift in oceans of madness - Disturbed

Wine is sunlight, held together by water! - Galileo Gallilei

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »
To be honest, there have been times in my life I have longed for stick-straight hair, but I guess I either don't care all that much, or I appreciate my curls more, or both.  It was harder in middle school. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
I not only have straight hair, but it's also thin.  (Not due to age; it's always been that way.)
I can't even BEGIN to tell you how incredibly envious I am of those of you who have curls!!!  I'd have signed away my firstborn for curly hair!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:38:57 PM »
LOL, many of the women in my family are envious of my curls.  My grandma was famous for always remarking that she wished she had my hair, and my mama is the same way.  Obviously, I got it from my daddy's side, and a lot of my cousins on that side have the curly hair, too.  My son has straight hair, like his daddy, but it has a lot of body, and he gets bead-head.  When he was younger and his hair was shorter, I had to keep a spray bottle of water in the bathroom to tame his bead-head in the mornings before school.  He has been wearing it a lot longer for a couple years now, so it doesn't stick up as much when he gets out of bed.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »
I HATED my curly hair when I was younger.  Of course, that might have had something to do with the Shirley Temple ringlets my mother put me in.

Now?  I get up, shower, comb out my hair with a large toothed comb and head out the door.  Couldn't tell you the last time I used a blow dryer.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »
Outdoor Girl, that right there, just as you describe, is the extent my morning hair care routine.  I tried using a blowdryer a few weeks ago, just to see how it would look, but it just made it frizz, (even with putting extra product in my hair.) 

irish1

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:39:44 AM »
I can't blow dry mine either! I tie it up when it's wet, which stops it from frizzing. Back when I blowdried it it would stand out about 3 inches from my head on both sides! Of course, since it's long, it takes a while to dry, so I get people telling me I have to blow dry it or I'll get sick...

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 08:01:08 AM »
I know that sleek, straight hair is "in", and my curls are not really stylish, but I love my hair just as the Good Lord gave me and have no interest in ruining it in the name of fashion. 

You're the first person with curly hair I've ever met who likes it that way! My SIL has the most beautiful curly hair, and she has it treated with some fancy "chocolate" stuff that costs 1800 bucks (R1800; about $260) a pop to make it dead straight, AND she has to buy fancy shampoo that stops it from frizzing. So it's dead straight and while it does look nice, I mourn her beautiful curls.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

irish1

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »
It seems to me that almost everyone wishes their hair was different to the way it is. Maybe because we know the awkwardness associated with it?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »
I used to hate my hair but now?  I love being able to wash and go!

My issue now is that it is starting to turn white!  And the white hairs aren't as curly as the other hairs so they tend to be noticeable at the ends.  But, fortunately, I have blond highlights so the white blends in.

No dye for me, though.  First, white hair doesn't hold the dye well and secondly, anytime I've ever used dye or highlighted my hair, it was a mess for months, until it grew out.  I couldn't get enough moisture into it.
Ontario

Minmom3

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 12:05:49 AM »
I usually get compliments on my grey streaks.  The ones who ask why I don't color my hair are told I am FAR too lazy to do such a thing....  And I HATE skunk stripes with a passion.  Hell, I hardly ever cut my hair, I'm not about to spend the kind of money needed to color it,  and keep it up and looking good...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 12:14:08 AM »
That's so cool that you actually like your curls! :D My roommate has extremely curly hair, and I think it looks awesome...and when she has straightened it [she only does so VERY rarely], I think that while it looks nice, her natural curls look much better.

My hair is wavy, and my routine is that I wash it, occasionally condition the ends, and comb it out. No blow dryer, no products, nothing. It's almost down to my waist again. :)
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho