Author Topic: Used This Exact Phrase!  (Read 20450 times)

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
Re: Used This Exact Phrase!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
When I was in middle school and high school, I would have done anything to get rid of the curls. I hated them because they were frizzy and poofy and I couldn't do anything with them. I get it from Dad, so Mom had no idea how to help me. And Dad's solution had been to grow an afro until he joined the Marines. No help there.

But in my senior year, one of my friends mentioned a trick she had used and I tried it and now I love my curls!

The trick? Hand lotion. Scrunch a little hand lotion into just damp hair (there's a little wiggle room, but dry hair just clumps and it won't stick to too wet hair) and then walk away from the mirror. I usually brush my hair first, to get any last tangles the conditioner didn't get because I get really bad bed head - in fact, I call it attack hair, it's that bad.

The lotion is just heavy enough to keep the frizz under control. Other than that, my hair does its own thing. I like it that way now. I just get a good hair cut (I can't afford any place that might have a curl expert or something if that even exists, so I have just learned to be very detailed in what I need done), wash my hair daily to get the gunk out, and then brush, apply lotion, and go. Doing my hair in the morning takes less than a minute. I love telling people that, too. They're always surprised ;D

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »
Wow, I never heard of applying hand lotion to tame the frizz!  I am going to make a "test run" of this process one day when I don't have anywhere to go, just in case my particular hair does not respond well.  It definitely sounds like it's worth a try, because, while I like my curls, I dislike frizz.  And, living on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, that can be a problem.    ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Information_queen

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
Wow, I never heard of applying hand lotion to tame the frizz!  I am going to make a "test run" of this process one day when I don't have anywhere to go, just in case my particular hair does not respond well.  It definitely sounds like it's worth a try, because, while I like my curls, I dislike frizz.  And, living on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, that can be a problem.    ;)

I lived in Baton Rouge for a couple of years. I know what you're talking about! It was a shock when I moved up here and had to remember to get my hair cut a little shorter to get the same dry length, because my hair doesn't curl as much any more! I kind of miss that extra curl....but its not like I don't still have plenty left!

The lotion never *completely* tamed the frizz, but it brought it down to acceptable levels. I have baby fine hair, though, so it was never going to weight down everything. But for the most part it added just enough weight to calm the frizz without flattening my hair.

I hope it works for you :)

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »
Hey, Info Queen, just wanted to update you & let you know, the lotion works beautifully!  It really helped over the summer, which was *extra* hot and humid down here.  The lotion also adds just a little bit of a nice "shine" to my hair...thanks so much for the tip!  A couple of my nieces have hair like ours, and I have passed the tip on to them, as well.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 11:17:23 PM »
Maybe this is telling of my age, but growing up everyone wanted curly full bodied hair.  I had a whole lot of perms to achieve perfect puffy hair.   Now I actually embrace my straight hair but love curling it too.

Maybe your coworker just wants to see how you look with straight hair.  Some people are just overly interested in your habitual look and want to see something new. 

As for humidity,  I have the opposite problem.  In humid climates any curl I put in falls immediately out, while in drier air the curls will last me all day, and the next day it will be perfect rolling waves.  I prefer dry climates.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:03:51 AM by Marisol »

Information_queen

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 01:49:09 AM »
Hey, Info Queen, just wanted to update you & let you know, the lotion works beautifully!  It really helped over the summer, which was *extra* hot and humid down here.  The lotion also adds just a little bit of a nice "shine" to my hair...thanks so much for the tip!  A couple of my nieces have hair like ours, and I have passed the tip on to them, as well.

Awesome! I'm so glad that worked for you. I also like that I can get lotion from Walmart way cheaper than I can dedicated hair products. And it smells better, too!

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »
But in my senior year, one of my friends mentioned a trick she had used and I tried it and now I love my curls!

The trick? Hand lotion. Scrunch a little hand lotion into just damp hair (there's a little wiggle room, but dry hair just clumps and it won't stick to too wet hair) and then walk away from the mirror. I usually brush my hair first, to get any last tangles the conditioner didn't get because I get really bad bed head - in fact, I call it attack hair, it's that bad.

I have to try this!  I am in Mississippi and half the time this summer I looked like I had stuck my finger in a light socket I had so much frizz.   Thanks for sharing the tip.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 11:26:43 PM »

I have to try this!  I am in Mississippi and half the time this summer I looked like I had stuck my finger in a light socket I had so much frizz.   Thanks for sharing the tip.

Nice to meet another ehellion in Mississippi!    ;D  I totally feel you on the humidity.  Having lived here all my young life, till I left for college at 18, then returning in 2005, it's nothing "new" to me, and I usually am not bothered by it.  However, I am always looking for tricks and tips to maintain the curl and diminish the frizz.  We didn't have all these nifty hair products when I was a young'un.    ;)

delphinium

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
I have naturally curly hair and I love it!    :) I just go to the hairdresser's and get it cut, washed and blow-dried.  Why would ANYBODY want to get it straightened? ::)

diesel_darlin

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 10:12:10 PM »
I've always had mid-back to waist length poofy curly hair. Recently, my Mama lost her hair due to chemotherapy. I told her that when her hair went, mine would too. I got it cut to about 6 inches long. I was convinced I was going to be a walking q-tip because my hair is usually so frizzy. This has been the best. Haircut. Ever. It just curls so pretty and takes little maintenance. I still may try the lotion thing though.  ;D

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »
I've always had mid-back to waist length poofy curly hair. Recently, my Mama lost her hair due to chemotherapy. I told her that when her hair went, mine would too. I got it cut to about 6 inches long. I was convinced I was going to be a walking q-tip because my hair is usually so frizzy. This has been the best. Haircut. Ever. It just curls so pretty and takes little maintenance. I still may try the lotion thing though.  ;D

I am thinking of getting mine cut, too, but have also been worried about the q-tip thing.    ;)  It's been many years since my hair was short; I have been growing it out, with minimal trims, for almost nine years now, but usually wear it up, or back.  It's just not working for me anymore, and it's pretty useless having long hair when it's never worn down, anyway.  Your story gives me hope! 

diesel_darlin

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
Good luck! I was the same way with my hair. Buns or ponytail. That's it. I kept a headache cuz of all that hair knotted up on my head. I kinda miss pulling it back, but I've started using the Goody® elastic headbands to keep it out of my eyes.  8)

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Good luck! I was the same way with my hair. Buns or ponytail. That's it. I kept a headache cuz of all that hair knotted up on my head. I kinda miss pulling it back, but I've started using the Goody® elastic headbands to keep it out of my eyes.  8)

I'm thinking of the pretty curly hair on the redhead from Dazed and Confused.  Her hair was just too cool.  Love the curls. 

My hair curls but not tightly.  It's more loose curls so I just straighten it.  If I fall asleep with my hair wet, I wake up looking like Mufasa! ;)  Lots of crazy curls. 

diesel_darlin

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »

I'm thinking of the pretty curly hair on the redhead from Dazed and Confused.  Her hair was just too cool.  Love the curls. 

My hair curls but not tightly.  It's more loose curls so I just straighten it.  If I fall asleep with my hair wet, I wake up looking like Mufasa! ;)  Lots of crazy curls.

Mufasa! LOL! I wake up looking like Albert Einstein with curly hair. If I go to sleep with wet hair I have to re wet it in the morning or walk out the door looking like I have stuck my finger in a light socket.  ;D

norrina

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »
I recently discovered that I have curls after years of thinking I had slight waves with a lot of frizz. I'm still learning how to manage the curl, so I don't love it as much as I thought I would all my childhood years of wishing I had inherited my mother's curls. That being said though, I do appreciate the curls as part of who I am, and therefore only straighten my hair on rare occasion. I was actually very pleased that when I went to a new stylist the other day if I preferred her to style my hair straight or curly after the cut. I felt like she really cared about me as an individual, and not just another cookie-cutter appointment.