Author Topic: Small act of kindness that I still think about  (Read 1999 times)

Íkorna

Small act of kindness that I still think about
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »
This happened maybe six months ago but I still think about it with a smile. I was on my way to school when I discovered my cell phone had fallen out of my pocket. I couldn't retrace my steps as I had an exam that made up a big portion of my grade in a short amount of time. I hurried up so I could get to campus earlier than usual to call my mother to ask that she call the cell phone provider while I took the exam. I soon discovered that there was only one working pay phone on the entire campus (the rest had been cut-- not even a dial tone), which was being used by a girl who played with her cell phone while chatting aimlessly for nearly ten minutes. She saw I was upset (I was almost in tears, since I was worried about missing the exam) but continued chatting until finally I had to leave since I needed to get to the exam.

By this point I really was in tears, and embarrassed by my reaction. I think it was a combination of stress over losing the phone, not being able to contact anyone, and worrying about the exam. As I hurried to my class, I tried to disguise the fact that I was crying (and failed miserably). One girl talking on her phone passed me, told the person she was speaking to to hold on, and said to me "Don't cry, you're beautiful!"

I stopped crying. I even smiled. By the time I took my test I felt better-- I'd not only put things in perspective, I also felt touched that someone was kind enough to stop what they'd been doing to comfort me. Little acts of kindness really do make a difference.

And the best part? When I got home I found my phone on my blanket. I'd forgotten to put it in my pocket to begin with. Yeah, I felt pretty dumb  ;D

Petticoats

Re: Small act of kindness that I still think about
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:43:02 AM »
Aww, that is sweet. Picky me, though, I was hoping she would offer you the use of her phone! :)

Íkorna

Re: Small act of kindness that I still think about
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »
Aww, that is sweet. Picky me, though, I was hoping she would offer you the use of her phone! :)

LOL-- that would have been great, except she couldn't have known that that's what I needed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:34:29 PM by Íkorna »