Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Grocery Store Etiquette

<< < (2/25) > >>

geordicat:
I put the divider bar (I call it a 'kid thwacker') down myself, behind my stuff, so the person behind me can start putting their stuff on the belt.  Usually they are not in a position to reach the bar, and it's really no skin off my nose to put it down.

Anyanka:

--- Quote from: geordicat on March 26, 2011, 11:37:45 AM ---I put the divider bar (I call it a 'kid thwacker') down myself, behind my stuff, so the person behind me can start putting their stuff on the belt.  Usually they are not in a position to reach the bar, and it's really no skin off my nose to put it down.

--- End quote ---

Me too.

Mainly because if I have a few items I dislike people leaning past me to grab it.

guihong:
I used to work in a grocery store, so this is from both employee and customer:

*If something's on the floor, pick it up!  Even if it's not in the exact right place.

*If you run into old friends in the store, pull away from traffic to talk!  Often, I have to maneuver around carts and people.  The same if you are reading labels; make yourself and your cart as out of the way as possible.

*If you're pushing a larger than usual cart, or one of those kids' cars, watch for people's shins. 

*Have your check filled out as much as possible,your coupons out, and have your debit card and/or grocery discount club card out and ready.  Pull away from the checkout line to get your things together when done.

*I had a regular customer who would buy at least $300 worth of groceries once or twice a month, all with a fistfull of coupons.  She always wanted her stuff double-bagged, paper.  Often, it took two baggers to keep up while I scanned.  Do as she did; if you know you have a lot of extra work involved, come at some off-peak time at the store if possible.  She would show up around 1:30-2:00 PM, when we were slow.

FoxPaws:
- Peak times are not exactly a major mystery. Weekday evenings, weekends afternoons, the day before a holiday - if you can't stand crowds and waiting, avoid those times. If you must shop then, resign yourself to the inevitable and skip the whining and pouting - it doesn't make things move any faster.

- Greet your cashier. Use please and thank you. It goes a long way toward getting top notch service.

- Even in 24 hour superstores, not all departments are open all the time and many require specially trained/authorized staff. If the courtesy booth isn't open yet, no amount of yelling is going to empower the night stocking crew to sell you a money order. Call and check before going in for a special service.

- Take it up with your congressperson. The requirements for alcohol and cigarette purchase or the use of food stamps and WIC cards aren't store policy - they are state and federal law. The store staff cannot "let it go just this once".

Ciarrai:
For the cashier:
 - Don't read and comment (or denigrate) a customer's purchases. It's none of your business what I'm buying or why I'm buying it.

In this case it was a fitness magazine. I love them, I read them every month, but I did not appreciate the cashier scanning it and then spending about 30 seconds reading the cover lines and raising her eyebrows at them, and then shaking her head and putting the magazine in my bag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version