Author Topic: Grocery Store Etiquette  (Read 38883 times)

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
Grocery Store Etiquette
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »
1. Please don't allow your offspring to run around unsupervised. We are not a daycare and this is not a playground. Your "darling" good seriously hurt someone who has balance/mobility issues (seniors, people on crutches, etc.).
2. If you decide you don't want something, please either put it back where you got it or give it the cashier. Don't just leave it wherever you happen to be, ie: chips in with the cans, toys crammed into bins, etc. This goes doubly for frozen/perishable items. Finding bags of frozen whatever that have thawed and leaked is not enjoyable, plus it causes the store to loose money.
3. Don't eat something you haven't paid for, this is really important when the item is priced per pound. Also it sucks having to clean up a bunch of crackers/chips/cookies that have fallen out of the open bag you didn't warn us about. Also, eating a donut, cookie, fruit or veggie before you pay is not cool. How am I supposed to know your telling the truth and you didn't eat more?
4. When you are checking out, don't put all your items on the belt and leave your cart behind you as you pay and get all upset about how long it takes us to put the stuff back in. ::) It would go faster if you pushed the cart down to us.
5. Do not snap your fingers at us, this is not Victorian England and we are not the hired help. 
6. The cart is not a trash can, please remove your trash.
Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel

TeamBhakta

Re: Grocery Store Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »
1. Please don't allow your offspring to run around unsupervised. We are not a daycare and this is not a playground. Your "darling" good seriously hurt someone who has balance/mobility issues (seniors, people on crutches, etc.).

It's not a playground ? But the mom on the Mirena commercial told me it was  ???

Erich L-ster

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:43:53 PM »

It's not a playground ? But the mom on the Mirena commercial told me it was  ???
she is a filthy liar and should have gotton mirena sooner because she has more kids than she can keep in line.

on another board there was a discussion on who should put the divider (on the counter/belt) down. some say the person in front some say the person who comes behind. i think the person behind should put it down and i do if i'm the one behind.

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »

she is a filthy liar and should have gotton mirena sooner because she has more kids than she can keep in line.

on another board there was a discussion on who should put the divider (on the counter/belt) down. some say the person in front some say the person who comes behind. i think the person behind should put it down and i do if i'm the one behind.

I use it to smack the kid from the Mirena commercial.  ;)
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »

In my store, usually the person behind can't reach the divider until the person in front has completed their purchase and is moving away from the end of the lane.

For me, the person who can easily reach the divider to put it on the belt should do so. It's to the advantage of both people that their orders not get mixed up.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:37:45 AM »
I put the divider bar (I call it a 'kid thwacker') down myself, behind my stuff, so the person behind me can start putting their stuff on the belt.  Usually they are not in a position to reach the bar, and it's really no skin off my nose to put it down.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Anyanka

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:16:07 AM »
I put the divider bar (I call it a 'kid thwacker') down myself, behind my stuff, so the person behind me can start putting their stuff on the belt.  Usually they are not in a position to reach the bar, and it's really no skin off my nose to put it down.

Me too.

Mainly because if I have a few items I dislike people leaning past me to grab it.
Even Vengence Demons have feelings

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »
I used to work in a grocery store, so this is from both employee and customer:

*If something's on the floor, pick it up!  Even if it's not in the exact right place.

*If you run into old friends in the store, pull away from traffic to talk!  Often, I have to maneuver around carts and people.  The same if you are reading labels; make yourself and your cart as out of the way as possible.

*If you're pushing a larger than usual cart, or one of those kids' cars, watch for people's shins. 

*Have your check filled out as much as possible,your coupons out, and have your debit card and/or grocery discount club card out and ready.  Pull away from the checkout line to get your things together when done.

*I had a regular customer who would buy at least $300 worth of groceries once or twice a month, all with a fistfull of coupons.  She always wanted her stuff double-bagged, paper.  Often, it took two baggers to keep up while I scanned.  Do as she did; if you know you have a lot of extra work involved, come at some off-peak time at the store if possible.  She would show up around 1:30-2:00 PM, when we were slow.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
- Peak times are not exactly a major mystery. Weekday evenings, weekends afternoons, the day before a holiday - if you can't stand crowds and waiting, avoid those times. If you must shop then, resign yourself to the inevitable and skip the whining and pouting - it doesn't make things move any faster.

- Greet your cashier. Use please and thank you. It goes a long way toward getting top notch service.

- Even in 24 hour superstores, not all departments are open all the time and many require specially trained/authorized staff. If the courtesy booth isn't open yet, no amount of yelling is going to empower the night stocking crew to sell you a money order. Call and check before going in for a special service.

- Take it up with your congressperson. The requirements for alcohol and cigarette purchase or the use of food stamps and WIC cards aren't store policy - they are state and federal law. The store staff cannot "let it go just this once".
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Ciarrai

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »
For the cashier:
 - Don't read and comment (or denigrate) a customer's purchases. It's none of your business what I'm buying or why I'm buying it.

In this case it was a fitness magazine. I love them, I read them every month, but I did not appreciate the cashier scanning it and then spending about 30 seconds reading the cover lines and raising her eyebrows at them, and then shaking her head and putting the magazine in my bag.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »
2. If you decide you don't want something, please either put it back where you got it or give it the cashier. Don't just leave it wherever you happen to be, ie: chips in with the cans, toys crammed into bins, etc. This goes doubly for frozen/perishable items. Finding bags of frozen whatever that have thawed and leaked is not enjoyable, plus it causes the store to loose money.
3. Don't eat something you haven't paid for, this is really important when the item is priced per pound. Also it sucks having to clean up a bunch of crackers/chips/cookies that have fallen out of the open bag you didn't warn us about. Also, eating a donut, cookie, fruit or veggie before you pay is not cool. How am I supposed to know your telling the truth and you didn't eat more?
4. When you are checking out, don't put all your items on the belt and leave your cart behind you as you pay and get all upset about how long it takes us to put the stuff back in. ::) It would go faster if you pushed the cart down to us.
5. Do not snap your fingers at us, this is not Victorian England and we are not the hired help. 
6. The cart is not a trash can, please remove your trash.

I always admonish Dh re #3.  He says that there are a lot of "bad" grapes around, and it's perfectly reasonable for him to sample one before buying a bunch.  I know it's only one grape, but still.  I spend the rest of the shopping trip attempting to look as though I've never seen him before in my life.......

HollysCats

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »

I think it's a nice courtesy when the person in front puts it down. Especially if the person behind them has been waiting in line while the front person was unloading their cart -- it's a signal that the front person isn't going to be using any additional space on the conveyer belt. And, as others have said, often it's easier for the person in front to reach.

o_gal

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 11:03:36 AM »
For those who use self-checkouts that are designed for full grocery carts - these usually have a scanning unit, then a belt that weighs your purchase and moves it down to the bagging area. Sometimes there is a divider in the bagging area that you can put in place that will divide your groceries from the next customer's. They let you bag yours after completing your purchase while the next customer can begin scanning. The store that I go to that has these is Meijer.

1. The scanner can be tricky - the unit must read the weight of the item when you place it on the belt, and sometimes it gets confused. And there is a lag time between scanning one item and the next. And sometimes they're just acting ornery that day. And then there is the issue where some people don't use these very often, so they get confused about how to use them. If you are behind someone who is having trouble with the scanner, please do not make comments or complain about how slow it's going. If you're in a rush, use a regular checkout with a checkout person, who can scan things much faster.

2. When someone has completed their purchase, it is up to them if they want to move their groceries down so they can put down the divider. It is not up to you, the next customer, to either demand that they put the divider down or for you to start moving groceries for them. I may have a lot of groceries and no, I may not want to pile them up on top of each other so you can begin scanning. And do not call the supervising person over to make me.

3. If the person in front of you has not put down the divider, or there isn't one, do not start scanning your purchases until they indicate you may do so. I scan bread last so it doesn't get squished. Sending your heavy milk cartons down when I'm not looking will probably squish my bread, and then I will be the one to call the supervising person over to hold things up for both of us while they go get me a new loaf of bread.

4. For self-checkouts that are for smaller orders, they are usually in clusters and there is a protocol that is usually store-specific for how the line operates. Observe this and proceed accordingly - in most stores a single line forms that feeds into the next available machine. But in some other stores, people line up behind the machine they want. Do not assume that every store operates the way that your favorite one does.

5. There is usually only one supervising person assigns to a large bank of scanners. This person must handle all issues for up to 10 scanners. If the person is helping someone else, be patient and catch their attention when they are finished, and be patient if they have another person in the queue ahead of you. Don't yell at them to demand they handle your problem NOW.

I love the self-scanners but hate some of the people who use them.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 08:28:18 PM »
When your purchases are in the cart and you're walking away, keep going right out the doors. I need to  move my cart to the end and stand in front of the credit card swiper. Don't suddenly double back to the credit card swiper and go into "Oh, btw, Cashier Friend, I'm gonna use these for the church social lolz You're gonna be there, too, right ? Oh gosh, you know what else..."   ::)

Danismom

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »
Really?  I guess there is a much larger range of opinions than I previously expected.  Wow!
For those who use self-checkouts that are designed for full grocery carts - these usually have a scanning unit, then a belt that weighs your purchase and moves it down to the bagging area. Sometimes there is a divider in the bagging area that you can put in place that will divide your groceries from the next customer's. They let you bag yours after completing your purchase while the next customer can begin scanning. The store that I go to that has these is Meijer.

1. The scanner can be tricky - the unit must read the weight of the item when you place it on the belt, and sometimes it gets confused. And there is a lag time between scanning one item and the next. And sometimes they're just acting ornery that day. And then there is the issue where some people don't use these very often, so they get confused about how to use them. If you are behind someone who is having trouble with the scanner, please do not make comments or complain about how slow it's going. If you're in a rush, use a regular checkout with a checkout person, who can scan things much faster.

2. When someone has completed their purchase, it is up to them if they want to move their groceries down so they can put down the divider. It is not up to you, the next customer, to either demand that they put the divider down or for you to start moving groceries for them. I may have a lot of groceries and no, I may not want to pile them up on top of each other so you can begin scanning. And do not call the supervising person over to make me.

3. If the person in front of you has not put down the divider, or there isn't one, do not start scanning your purchases until they indicate you may do so. I scan bread last so it doesn't get squished. Sending your heavy milk cartons down when I'm not looking will probably squish my bread, and then I will be the one to call the supervising person over to hold things up for both of us while they go get me a new loaf of bread.

Our stores in this area don't have the full size self-scan registers, just the small ones.  But if they are designed with a divider why is it wrong that the next customer expects you to use it?

I used to work in a grocery store, so this is from both employee and customer:

*If something's on the floor, pick it up!  Even if it's not in the exact right place.
If I'm shopping with my children and one of drops something, we will pick it up.  If we didn't drop it, I may not be inclined to pick it up.  I'm certainly not going to go through the trouble of finding where it goes to put it back.  I'm a customer not an employee.  I just realized it was another poster who said always put stuff back where it goes.  I'm putting the responses together and can't imagine the expectation of picking up what someone else dropped AND putting it away elsewhere in the store.

This seems to vary by store.  Many stores encourage you to eat while you shop or certainly have no problem with it.  This tends to be a hot button issue here though with no real consensus, so I'm guessing it varies by store or region.