Author Topic: Twins!  (Read 1043 times)

MrsO

• Super Hero!
Twins!
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:09:47 PM »
Parents of twins, please tell me that it's not this cute and funny all the time. I feel the urge to go and steal a set of twin babies now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmA2ClUvUY&feature=player_embedded

Ms_Shell

Re: Twins!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
I'm not a parent of twins but that was hilarious and adorable!  Did you see the one twin doing the Karate Kid crane stance?  LOL! 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »
Yes! I love some of the comments on the video, translating the conversation (Then where is your sock? In the refrigerator...) lol!

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
Hubby was talking about how he didn't get how this video was so popular, yesterday.  I hadn't seen it, so he showed me.  At about 60 seconds in, by which point I had melted into a pool of goo and made a cute baby noise every other time one of them did something adorable, which was pretty much moving, he said, "OK, I guess more people in the world are like you than like me."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »
This is the cute side of twins.

Then there is the side that has one baby going in one direction while the other bolts in the other.
In the mall.
When you have your hands full.

Heh.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »
Oh my heck.  I saw that on Facebook last night.  What gets me isn't the talking, so much as the gestures and interpretive dance (or whatever that is).  And the one baby holding up his single sockless foot from time to time.

Also, from the blog it originally went up on:  http://www.twinmamarama.com/post/4262671465/in-honor-of-april-fools-day-ellen-degeneres-has

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 04:33:03 PM »
Parents of twins, please tell me that it's not this cute and funny all the time. I feel the urge to go and steal a set of twin babies now.

you have to wonder if they are actually understanding what the other is saying.  You can hear the inflections in the speech.  Amazing.  I have six and all born within six years, and they didn't converse like that.  
(not six twins, six kids)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:42:09 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

flo

• used to be re-moe
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:39:29 PM »
One of my most favorite memories of when my twins were babies was when they'd be in their room after a nap or in the morning, and I could hear them jabbering and laughing with each other.  I always wanted to set a video camera in their roomto see what they were doing that was so funny.  Just the fact that they would wake up that way every day bought me time for my shower!

For all the hard parts about having twins, there are some big benefits!

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 04:44:10 PM »
I've often wondered that about my kids, even though they're 16 months apart.  The toddler is pretty advanced verbally (she sounds clearer than most 3-year-olds I know and has a vast vocabulary; I suppose this is to make up for her lagging physical development :P), but she will also babble with the baby all the time, and they seem to understand each other.  They laugh and giggle at each other like they're actually communicating.  I'm sure I'm seeing things that aren't there, but I'm still amazed at how good of friends they are already.

Utah

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »

you have to wonder if they are actually understanding what the other is saying.  You can hear the inflections in the speech.  Amazing.  I have six and all born within six years, and they didn't converse like that.  
(not six twins, six kids)

I think it's far more common with twins.  I used to babysit twins and, while they would talk to me normally (or well, you know, like your average 2-3yo), they would babble at each other in a way that I couldn't understand.  They always stayed up "talking" to each other for a bit after I would put them to bed (mom said this was fine).

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
It's called idioglossia.  It's most common in twins, but it can happen in other situations, too--siblings very close in age, for instance.  If you've ever seen the movie Nell, that's a good example as well.  I think it's fascinating.

Utah

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:32:58 PM »
It's called idioglossia.  It's most common in twins, but it can happen in other situations, too--siblings very close in age, for instance.  If you've ever seen the movie Nell, that's a good example as well.  I think it's fascinating.

My brother and I are 18 months apart, and we had our own language.  My parents said we'd jabber at each other and understand each other perfectly but no one else could understand a word.  We started talking normally, but we still talked to each other that way until my brother started school and had to take speech classes.

katcheya

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »
I am a twin, and I can safely say that they DO understand eachother.  And it's lifelong, apparently: my twin and I are still like that.  We've lived apart for eleven years, but when she was visiting me a few weeks ago, we could still mumble-talk to eachother around our toothbrushes, making plans for the day, completely understanding eachother, while my boyfriend looked on in puzzlement.  I had to spit out and translate for him!